Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129340 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #1575 on: June 04, 2022, 02:28:18 PM »
With fifty five common words being sought, we can expect a few 7beamers to be non-starters but, of those who did, none managed to become rosetteers and only eight out of the three hundred and twenty eight players did so!!!

Meanwhile, getting fifty four of those fifty five commons would reward you with a rosettenear and dragonman and rogue_mother both achieved this… 👏

Next in line was yours truly on fifty one – I am definitely not a COLOSSAL CLASSICIST which comes with a TACIT understanding that I have never worn a TAILCOAT…

Gaining position on the board at forty nine common words were blackrockrose and vizal while ozzyjune discovered forty eight…

One further back was yelnats on forty seven while ozzymAndias clocked in on forty one and Jancsika on forty…

Scouser1952 scored thirty eight before the time expired and auntiemo got thirty four… Meanwhile, both ozzyjack and Roddles found three common words with those from ozzyjack being the three common seed words!!! That winds it up for today’s common competitors…

With a total score of ninety five necessary for mavenhood, it will probably come as no surprise that our rosettenears were also awarded mavenhood… Well done!!! 😎😎😎
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: June 04, 2022, 02:42:35 PM »
You may be certain that I will not respond to a catcall, so no rosette for me.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: June 05, 2022, 03:14:06 AM »

ridethetalk refers to my 8,500 km bicycle journey around Australia in 2010 promoting energy efficiency because...

...climate change is a thing and my kids' futures are important to me.

Energy efficiency is (still) the quickest, cleanest and cheapest way to reduce carbon emissions. I did this on a pushbike because it's the most efficient form of transport ever devised. (I also met my wife through being in a cycle touring club.) I rode solo, towing a trailer with 40kg of gear, into towns; gave a two hour interactive talk that night and rode out the next morning - I wasn't walking the talk, I was riding the talk...  ;D ;D ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use...

I read a book about a fellow who walked around Australia with a fridge on his back.  Its title was, shockingly, Round Ireland with a Fridge:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23316.Round_Ireland_with_a_Fridge

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1578 on: June 05, 2022, 03:24:04 PM »
Our standout rosetteers today were 2dognight and Maudland who managed to find all thirty eight common words – well done, you!!! 👏👏👏

Just missing out by a single word were our rosettenears consisting of rogue_mother and dragonman – one word! One dang word!!!

The diminutive category, two short, consisted of blackrockrose, yours truly, yelnats and Roddles – personally, I got too BLASÉ and we all know that that is not a SALABLE product!!!

Next cab off the rank was ozzyjune on thirty five and vizal could be found one behind her while two behind her we find Jancsika on thirty three commons…

Scouser1952 was one further back again on thirty two and we now have a big gap to ozzymAndias on twenty six…

Joining the fray on twenty one today (congratulations, you young whipper snappers! 😉) were auntiemo and ozzyjack which, unless my eyes deceive me, is where we wrap up our sizeable attempts at today’s puzzle…

With sixty two words to score a maven, those who achieved their mavenhood were dragonman, rogue_mother and 2dognight with 2dognight scoring that elusive double… 😎😎😎
Well done, Carol…🎉🎉🎉
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: June 06, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »
Eh, I was just too blasé to care about getting a rosette. Not!

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #1580 on: June 06, 2022, 01:29:26 PM »
My baseball bat was made of balsa, so it didn't perform very well.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1581 on: June 06, 2022, 02:05:34 PM »
Having achieved a rosette, I started writing this up and found myself inadvertently posting this hours early – I realised my error almost immediately and removed the post. I hope I didn’t create spoilers for anyone…
Some people may not have thought this puzzle could be any pricklier, yet still we had quite a number of rosetteers. leading us off in getting all thirty two common words was doxydaisy followed by yours truly, yelnats, Roddles, dragonman and Maudland – well done all!!! 👏👏👏

Getting thirty one of those thirty two words puts you in rosettenear territory and guarding that territory were blackrockrose, 2dognight,  ozzyjune and ozzymAndias – I’m sure they will have been upset by being on the precipice and not being able to make that final leap…

Jancsika and rogue_mother were next on twenty nine commons – three off the pace with auntiemo one further back on twenty eight…

Joining the scoreboard on twenty six was vizal while Scouser1952 did likewise on twenty four… MIA were ozzyjack and RL…

Gaining forty nine words will result in mavenhood and 2dognight, doxydaisy*,dragonman*, myself*, rogue_mother and ozzymAndias all claimed that right… 😎😎😎
As per usual, the asterisks signify double dignity… 🎉🎉🎉

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: June 07, 2022, 04:08:53 AM »
Having achieved a rosette, I started writing this up and found myself inadvertently posting this hours early – I realised my error almost immediately and removed the post. I hope I didn’t create spoilers for anyone…

Noticing your error didn't prevent you from starting a post with a spoiler in the title for the active puzzle. It's the middle of the night for you now, but when you wake up you may find your hand properly slapped by Alan or one of the spoiler police.

As for me, I discovered a mold-covered relic languishing in the back of the refrigerator, the result of an unsuccessful recipe, which I promptly tossed over the precipice. No dinner and no rosette.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1583 on: June 07, 2022, 02:20:26 PM »
Well, I screwed that up big-time! My humble apologies to any and everyone affected by my stuff-up yesterday. :-[ :-[ :-[

Of the three hundred and thirty seven players only ten managed a rosette and none were from our coterie in this fifty six common word puzzle!

Our best efforts were made by Roddles and myself with rosettenears… My screwup as detailed above could be the result of an undiagnosed MANIA…

One further back, and hence two short, were rogue_mother and dragonman who unearthed fifty four commons…

Next we have Jancsika on fifty three followed by yelnats and ozzyjune on fifty one… Just under the half century (forty nine) we find blackrockrose and then have a big gap to auntiemo on thirty seven…

Joining the crew on thirty three was Scouser1952 with vizal one further back while ozzymAndias joined at twenty nine…

Finding both common seed words was the challenge ozzyjack set himself and subsequently buggered off…

As for mavenhood, our two regulars were again at it with rogue_mother and dragonman taking the honours amongst our gang… 😎😎😎

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: June 08, 2022, 07:19:32 AM »
Still looking for a rosette. In the meantime, I need to find my other mitten. I think it may have fallen over the precipice yesterday along with the relic from the failed recipe.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1585 on: June 08, 2022, 05:24:34 PM »
Wow, that was a doozy! Just fourteen rosettes out of three hundred and forty four players! Our standout rosetteer was dragonman! Well done Gareth on finding all forty three common (???) words!!! 👏👏👏

2dognight was our sole rosettenear and also has the honour of having the answer to life, the universe and everything… 😉😉😉

On forty one we find rogue_mother and Maudland who were both two short…

Next were ozzyjune and Roddles on forty, three off the pace, followed closely by vizal and myself on thirty nine commons… A CELEB CAROLER tried to sing a BARCAROLE but the crowd found it just too CEREBRAL. (srsly! Barcarole is common???)

Thirty eight saw yelnats join the party closely followed by Jancsika on thirty seven…

How ozzyjack found both common(?) seed words on his way to thirty four is outside my reckoning but well done nonetheless!!! Scouser1952 did likewise on his way to twenty nine but auntiemo only managed the one and blackrockrose found both too difficult to find!!!

It looks like ozzymAndias did an ozzyjack by finding both common(?) seed words and then buggered off… Which is where we leave the quest for rosettes…

Our old reliables were in evidence again today as both rogue_mother and dragonman made mavenhood their raison d'être!!! Well done both of you!!! 😎😎😎
Of course, by getting that maven, dragonman also achieved the double!!! 🎉🎉🎉

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #1586 on: June 08, 2022, 11:17:38 PM »
I would question both caballero and barcarole as common words. Ngram listed one use of caballero in text, all the others were author's surnames. I only got it because there have been so many Spanish words in puzzles lately. I would consider many of them as Spanglish.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1587 on: June 08, 2022, 11:57:02 PM »
I'm with you Stanley... I got caballero very late in the piece and only a hunch made me play it - as for barcarole, I'd never heard of it before today...  :P :P :P

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: June 09, 2022, 06:13:31 AM »
Have to agree about both barcarole and caballero. The former is only known to me via Offenbach's Barcarolle from 'The Tales of Hoffman' and I had only ever seen it with the ll spelling (and capitalised). I only got it out of frustration. I knew caballero alright, but only in its Spanish context, so as a foreign word I didn't think to try it. And that was the word I missed!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: June 09, 2022, 01:53:27 PM »
Barcarole was the first word I found, which I knew mainly from  Offenbach's piece. Caballero took quite a bit longer. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite cerebral enough to cobble together enough words for a rosette.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 01:58:47 PM by rogue_mother »