Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129506 times)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #1440 on: May 02, 2022, 08:06:02 AM »
You got 311 words, RM?!?!  :-P

PS I loved the Inside the Beltway report!

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: May 02, 2022, 10:34:36 AM »
After starting BRR's own puzzle for procrastination purposes yesterday, I was more than happy to "play"  during a spell of insomnia overnight. I started out just looking for the big words..still 3 short. I may get back to it.
As for the previous 7BM....coolie and elegiac were my missing words.
Thanks RM for your reports.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: May 02, 2022, 04:32:22 PM »
Hi BRR.
PLEASE tell me the last big common word that you missed. I found it strange that I missed gangster and gangsters.
I admit to throwing in the towel...I'd been going round in circles long enough.
Thanks for the puzzle.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #1443 on: May 02, 2022, 06:54:55 PM »
Hi BRR.
PLEASE tell me the last big common word that you missed. I found it strange that I missed gangster and gangsters.
I admit to throwing in the towel...I'd been going round in circles long enough.
Thanks for the puzzle.
Moyra

It was teenagers. Needless to say, I also missed teenager and teenage.

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: May 02, 2022, 09:49:23 PM »
Alas I didn't get a rosette RM, I missed CALICOES and SCOLIOSOS.
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: May 03, 2022, 05:06:19 AM »
Alas I didn't get a rosette RM, I missed CALICOES and SCOLIOSOS.

My mistake! So sorry for pouring salt on the wound through my error.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: May 03, 2022, 05:16:02 AM »
You got 311 words, RM?!?!  :-P

Yep, it's an indication of just how compulsive I am about trying to complete a puzzle once I have started it lol. I also found 251 of the less common words, including 14 of the 47(!) that used all seven letters. I fell short of the commons using all letters by two, failing to find transgress and transgresses.

At the other end of the spectrum, a certain "Alan W" was spotted playing the "Let's see if I can find all the common words that use all the letters, and only those words" game. He managed a respectable 12 out of 18.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 08:27:16 AM by rogue_mother »

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: May 03, 2022, 05:45:24 AM »
Time for an accounting of yesterday's assault on the 7 by Many by our valiant crew. Valiant, but unsuccessful; not a single rosetteer among us. Indeed, there were only eight rosettes achieved among 341 players.

Roddles and I managed to finagle our way into the rosettenear category. Maudland, auntiemo, ozzyjune and dragonman all found thirty-six of the required thirty-eight words needed for a rosette, but alas, they fell too short. I might have done better if I had caught silicosis (or not).

Ozzyjack, blackrockrose, Jancsika, vizal and 2dognight all earned participation medals.

I managed to regain my mavenhood (yes, it can be done), just eking out the 79 words needed. Dragonman also reached this mark, outranking me by one word.

Here's something curious to ponder: My spellchecker has flagged all of our player names as spelling errors except one. Does 2dognight have a special in with the orthographic powers that be??? Hmmm...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 08:28:23 AM by rogue_mother »

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #1448 on: May 03, 2022, 03:35:18 PM »
RM, there is an Australian native plant also called dogwood (the indigenous name pituri) which I assume is quite different to your dogwood...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythroxylum_australe

considered Australia's cocaine and even illegal to grow in its native state (NSW).

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1449 on: May 03, 2022, 04:12:43 PM »
Roddles and I managed to finagle our way into the rosettenear category.

Don't I count anymore? Just because I'm on holiday!!! I too managed a rosettenear!!!

As for 2dognight, numbers automatically disengages the spellcheck...  ;D ;D ;D

BTW. Thanks for taking up the mantle, r_m...

BTBTW. My missing word was COOTIE and I'm happy not to get those!!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:16:10 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: May 04, 2022, 01:58:04 AM »
Roddles and I managed to finagle our way into the rosettenear category.

Don't I count anymore? Just because I'm on holiday!!! I too managed a rosettenear!!!

Oops! I certainly didn't mean to overlook you. Ironically, I saw that you were playing in the current game and actually went back to double check if you had played the previous game. Clearly my reconnoiter skills are somewhat lacking. I am a person who makes a shopping list, goes to the grocery store, looks at the list and then fails to buy at least one item on the list (and not because it was out of stock, lol).

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: May 04, 2022, 02:05:41 AM »
RM, there is an Australian native plant also called dogwood (the indigenous name pituri) which I assume is quite different to your dogwood...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythroxylum_australe

considered Australia's cocaine and even illegal to grow in its native state (NSW).

Yes, ours, Cornus florida, is quite different. It may have some medicinal uses, but it is in no way mind-altering. I think the buds may be tasty to squirrels, though, because one winter I watched a squirrel climb all over a dogwood in our backyard, munching on any bud it could reach.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 04, 2022, 02:29:44 AM »
I have managed to overlook a 7beamer each of the two previous puzzle summaries, but I hope not to make a habit of it. Jumping right into yesterday's summary:

Another small puzzle, only twenty-two words needed for a rosette. 2dognight, auntiemo, dragonman, Roddles, ozzyjune and ozzyjack all acquired the coveted icon on the scoreboard. Well done, all!

Rosettenears were not quite as plentiful. Joining me in this category were doxydaisy, Maudland and ridethetalk, who can't stay away even while on holiday.

Blackrockrose was our singularly too short person of the day.

Jancsika and vizal were those who can only hope that the next puzzle will be more fruitful.

Forty-four words were needed to reach mavenhood. I was able to preserve mine and was joined by 2dognight and dragonman.

I'd offer a titbit more of conversation, but I couldn't find one.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 05, 2022, 02:17:37 AM »
Another day hunting for that ever elusive rosette on the 7 by Many. This puzzle was a little larger than the previous two, which gave us a little more breathing room. Three 7beamers nailed it, finding all  43 needed words: doxydaisy, ozzyjack and ozzyjune. Good job, rosetteers!

Roddles and I were right behind, garnering us the status of rosettenears. If only I'd made it home by teatime!

2dognight, Maudland and dragonman might have gotten rosettes, only they were too short.

Jancsika, yelnats, blackrockrose and auntiemo were spotted farther back among the crowd of would-be rosetteers. Even RTT could not resist taking some time out of his holiday to join the merry chase.

Seventy-nine words were required to achieve mavenhood this time around. Ozzyjack joined me in achieving this rank.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1454 on: May 05, 2022, 08:39:00 AM »
Even RTT could not resist taking some time out of his holiday to join the merry chase.

I find it a good way to unwind before bed...  :-S :-S :-S
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)