Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 131522 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #1395 on: April 21, 2022, 04:32:58 PM »
I missed paella. As a vegetarian not one on my regular list.

If it was a choice later in life, you probably miss paella as well(a)...  :-R :-R :-R
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 21, 2022, 05:40:26 PM »
Paella and Agape for me. Funnily I thought of "agapé" (in the sense of unconditional love) but didn't try it as I thought it would be too rare. When I realized the other meaning, my jaw dropped  :D

Oh yes and I tried pegleg as well.

(Ps I'll let you know what word spoiled my "perfect" score tomorrow...)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1397 on: April 22, 2022, 02:53:03 PM »
Hungarian John (Jancsika)scorched through the twenty four common words in the disloyal puzzle and was joined by fellow rosetteers ozzyjune, Roddles, 2dognight, myself, doxydaisy, auntiemo, dragonman, yelnats, Maudland and rogue_mother – in fact, it would have been quicker to list those who weren’t rosetteers!!! Well done anyway… 👏👏👏 HJ has a self-imposed desire to get a rosette without any uncommon words in the mix and only just failed in this endeavour with a single uncommon amongst his words. He also managed to get his rosette in amazing time having achieved it before I’d written up yesterday’s synopsis and the very first person to achieve one… 😎😎😎

Coming up two short was vizal on twenty two commons uncovered while one further back saw RL join the fray…

Making an appearance on eighteen was ozzyjack which is where our efforts finish as blackrockrose is still MIA – if anyone knows of a way to contact her it would be good to know she’s OK…

Thirty two words in total is where the bar for mavenhood was set and clearing that bar were doxydaisy, 2dognight, auntiemo, rogue_mother, myself, vizal, yelnats and dragonman while RL just missed out… 😎😎😎
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 22, 2022, 04:51:17 PM »
For the record, "sassily" was the rogue rarity...

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1399 on: April 22, 2022, 06:56:06 PM »
For the record, "sassily" was the rogue rarity...

Your word list was too sassy by half...  :-R :-R :-R

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #1400 on: April 22, 2022, 10:26:59 PM »
Blackrockrose is OK, and emerging, exhausted, from two weeks of grandchildren staying at her place during the school holidays.

Sorry I didn't check in to let you know, but I'm back now and ready to Chi  ;D

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1401 on: April 23, 2022, 02:15:50 PM »
Another twenty four common words needed for a rosette today brought out six rosetteers from our coterie with dragonman leading them off, followed by Roddles, doxydaisy, ozzyjune, ozzyjack and me (though I only just squeaked in with my final two words! It would have been UNCOOL to have missed IRONIC!!!) Well done everyone who scored a rosette on this one… 👏👏👏

Our rosettenears today were also plentiful with auntiemo, 2dognight, rogue_mother, blackrockrose (welcome back!) and vizal – near enough was almost good enough!!!

Two short by far were yelnats, Maudland and Jancsika who were stuck on twenty two which is where we bid adieu to the 7beamers who participated today!!! It’s a testament to our crew that the worst of us were only two short of a rosette!!!  ;D ;D ;D

With thirty seven words needed for mavenhood, ozzyjack, rogue_mother, myself and dragonman all obtained or maintained this illustrious achievement… 😎😎😎

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 23, 2022, 03:21:13 PM »
I needed to find a US councilor to get my rosette
Regards, Jack

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #1403 on: April 23, 2022, 09:50:15 PM »
Iconic and ironic but not ionic. Or unicorn.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 24, 2022, 11:45:51 AM »
Ironic, ionic and iconic....but not conic
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 24, 2022, 12:35:28 PM »
I had to uncoil myself from a fetal position when I saw which word cost me a rosette.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1406 on: April 24, 2022, 04:14:57 PM »
Sorry for the delay folks… A rosette demanded forty five common words and a few of the 7beamers club were rosetteers: doxydaisy, ozzyjack and ozzyjune to be specific… Well done!!! 👏👏👏

We had the same number scoring rosettenears in auntiemo, dragonman and Roddles – so close, yet no cigar…

Stuck on forty three commons uncovered we find yelnats and Maudland who are probably thinking that life is too short to be two short…

Three off the pace, blackrockrose had the answer to life, the universe and everything while one further back rogue_mother and Jancsika joined the board…

I could be found on forty words but without the seed word as I was ALERTLY gathering all the bibs and bobs for a LAYETTE for a friend’s baby who, when he grows up will find a TERABYTE of storage to be a BETRAYAL of his data rights for which we, as a society, will have to ALLAY his fears…

One further back, on thirty nine, vizal makes his appearance which is where we draw a line as 2dognight and RL didn’t join us today…

Sixty seven words was where the bar lies for a maven today and ozzyjack, doxydaisy, rogue_mother and dragonman cleared that bar – well done you all… 😎😎😎

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 24, 2022, 04:24:46 PM »
Terabyte was accepted ??
I didn't even try it.

As I understand it, prefixes that indicate a multiplier GREATER than 1 are always Capitalised.
K for Kilo = 1,000 fold.
M for Mega = 1,000,000 fold
G Giga
T Tera and so on.

Further, prefixes that indicate a multiplier LESS than 1 are never Capitalised.
m for milli = 1/1000
u for micro = 1/1,000,000
n for nano
p for pico
f for femto and so on.

If I am correct, sorry, then Terabyte should not be accepted.

I understand I am being pedantic.
Common usage oft gets these things wrong, but that does not make it right.

At times I have been tempted to ask for a bottle of whisky be delivered as advertised, when I see a '700 ML' bottle quoted.
Heaven knows what I would do with 700 Mega Liters.

Michael

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1408 on: April 24, 2022, 04:41:40 PM »
As I understand it, prefixes that indicate a multiplier GREATER than 1 are always Capitalised.
K for Kilo = 1,000 fold.
M for Mega = 1,000,000 fold
G Giga
T Tera and so on.

Further, prefixes that indicate a multiplier LESS than 1 are never Capitalised.
m for milli = 1/1000
u for micro = 1/1,000,000
n for nano
p for pico
f for femto and so on.

At times I have been tempted to ask for a bottle of whisky be delivered as advertised, when I see a '700 ML' bottle quoted.
Heaven knows what I would do with 700 Mega Liters.

Michael

Michael, I think you're confusing the abbreviations when writing with the words themselves (oh, and kilo is a lowercase 'k' as per km, kB (kiloByte)), kg etc

The lowercase 'l' is used for litres as well so that 700 ML would be 700 mega something or others...  ;D ;D ;D

Back to the question at hand, terabyte is spelt longhand in all lowercase but abbreviated as TB - terabit would be Tb...

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 25, 2022, 07:40:30 AM »
When I began programming computers over fifty(!) years ago, I never would have imagined such a thing as a terabyte. The first IBM 360 that I worked on had only 120 KB RAM, and the partition that I was allotted was 44 KB. But that wasn't the only thing that kept me from a rosette. It was also that betrayer giving me the eyeball laterally, though he couldn't prevent me from preserving my mavenhood.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area