Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130802 times)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #1020 on: January 31, 2022, 07:50:07 PM »
G'day COBBER!

(No, actually I did find this, although I don't think it's particularly common outside Australia.)

For the record, my omissions were CORER and OCTET.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 01, 2022, 11:01:23 AM »
I'd like to give a bootee to the beetroot, then stuff it in a retort.

Never been to the land down under, but oddly enough, I had no trouble with cobber, got it early on.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: February 01, 2022, 11:10:38 AM »
FYI I prefer 7beamers  ;D to 7bummers  8)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1023 on: February 01, 2022, 11:26:41 AM »
FYI I prefer 7beamers  ;D to 7bummers  8)

Yeah, I was less than enamoured by the latter too...  :-P :-P :-P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1024 on: February 01, 2022, 03:06:46 PM »
What a surprise to find ozzyjack taking a part in this fifty one common word puzzle!!! 😉😉😉Our rosetteers were few and far between with doxydaisy, Roddles and Maudland managing the task with alacrity… 👏👏👏

Rosettenears were in as short supply with yelnats, Jancsika and myself just missing out on that elusive rosette. You would think that, with totted in the bag, TOTED would have been easy – but you’d be wrong…

2dognight, dragonman, ozzyjune and rogue_mother all lost stature by being two short! I was most happy to find HETERODOX to complete my pair of seed words but more so because I avoided their fate!!! 😉😉😉

On the other side of that fateful benchmark, on forty eight commons uncovered, were blackrockrose and auntiemo. Next came vizal on forty four followed by ozzyjack, who probably realised late that this was a high word count game, on forty. RL appears to have been a non-starter but ozzymAndias found the two seed words and skedaddled…

Mavenhood was embraced by rogue_mother, doxydaisy, myself, dragonman, Roddles and 2dognight and the word level required was sixty seven hard fought words – well done all!!!
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: February 01, 2022, 03:58:57 PM »
I found tooth, toothed, teethe and teethed but somehow managed to miss TEETH! Doh,!

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #1026 on: February 01, 2022, 05:10:58 PM »
G'day COBBER!

(No, actually I did find this, although I don't think it's particularly common outside Australia.)

I have heard that this derived from the Yiddish chever (friend).

https://slll.cass.anu.edu.au/centres/andc/meanings-origins/c#:~:text=A%20friend%2C%20a%20companion.,Yiddish%20word%20chaber%20'comrade'.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 02, 2022, 06:53:03 AM »
On the previous puzzle, one of the commons that I missed was retort, and now I have missed both retort and retorted! Some people never learn, and I seem to be one of them lol

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1028 on: February 02, 2022, 06:59:31 PM »
Sorry for being so lax (😉) – we’ve been away (again, you say; yes, again!).

Here’s the rundown for today’s 7bm a short handful of rosetteers led off by doxydaisy with Roddles, Maudland and auntiemo in hot pursuit!!! Well done all… 👏👏👏

On forty three commons discovered, rogue_mother is our lone rosettenear… dragonman and ozzyjune scored the meaning to life, the universe and everything but, in doing so, they discovered that life is just two short!!!

ozzyjack was one further back with yelnats one behind him! blackrockrose found thirty eight commons with vizal and Jancsika on thirty four. RL came in on twenty eight and, due in part at least to being away, I managed fifteen and ozzymAndias thirteen though we didn’t even find the common seed word (though I did have uncommonness/es!!!)…

I’m not sure how many words were required to get into maven territory – if someone could let me know, I’ll report on that in a separate post… Thanks in advance. ;D ;D ;D

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 03, 2022, 03:58:26 AM »
74 words for the promised land.
I missed out on MENSES and SUSSES ...again.

I am on a streak where I am hitting Maven but two or three short of the rosette...most annoying   >:(
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1030 on: February 03, 2022, 11:36:53 AM »
Thanks Gareth.

OK, so, at 74 words for mavenhood, rogue_mother, dragonman and doxydaisy qualified as duly certified mavens…  ;D ;D ;D

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 03, 2022, 12:01:38 PM »
I may be at oneness with the universe, but not in Chihuahua.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #1032 on: February 03, 2022, 05:05:28 PM »
Tough puzzle today with just two of our coterie managing to find all thirty five common words and achieve rosetteer status – they were Roddles and Maudland. Well done both of you!!! 👏👏👏

2dognight and doxydaisy were next as rosettenears followed by dragonman as our sole minor player and, if he takes umbrage at my description, all I can say is he is simply reinforcing that he is two short…

On thirty two common words uncovered were ozzyjune, rogue_mother and myself. I need to get down off my HOWDAH and clear out the DEADWOOD before I can say ALOHA to anyone else in our cadre!

One further back was blackrockrose while vizal, Jancsika and yelnats were in hot pursuit on thirty commons found…

RL was two further back on twenty eight while auntiemo found an even twenty. Meanwhile it was a surprise to see ozzyjack so far back in the field on just eleven common words revealed!!! ozzymAndias was MIA today.  :-P :-P :-P

With fifty words needed for mavenhood only three 7beamers could achieve this benchmark and rogue_mother, dragonman and doxydaisy should be congratulated for their efforts… An honourable mention should go to both 2dognight and Maudland who fell just one word short of mavenhood.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 04, 2022, 08:22:45 AM »
Hats off to Roddles and Maudland, indeed! I did not find this to be an easy puzzle. I struggled to fit all the deadwood into the holdall, and I was not wowed by the result.

I try not to whinge about British words in the common lexicon (anymore); I am trying to learn them so that maybe my score will be higher next time. I will mention, though, that holdall is British for what we in the United States would call a duffle bag.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #1034 on: February 04, 2022, 05:42:50 PM »
In the GOUTIEST game, the only word I missed was guest, the word most often found by other players.

Doh!  :-[