Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130580 times)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #975 on: January 22, 2022, 10:40:51 PM »
I had assess/es but not asses! And I didn't get oases which I had just a couple of days ago. I think it's getting too hot here,  34C today and worse to come.

Mrs. Jancsika, who is herself an occasional player, and not a native English speaker

I'm fascinated as to how English has become so dominant when it's so irregular and "un-phonetic". And from names and places of residence I think we have a few players with mother tongues other than English.

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 22, 2022, 10:54:11 PM »

I'm fascinated as to how English has become so dominant when it's so irregular and "un-phonetic"

Two reasons I can think of:

1) American political, cultural and economic hegemony

2) In spite of the irregularities, the grammar is quite simple, compared to many other languages, meaning people can reach a reasonable level of competence quite quickly.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 23, 2022, 04:18:22 AM »

And from names and places of residence I think we have a few players with mother tongues other than English.

A couple of standouts in this regard are Hannes44 from Austria, who has been registered even longer than I, and his friend or partner, sonja1051. They seldom get rosettes, but they always reach maven. I know I am doing well if I get close to them on the scoreboard.

As for yesterday's puzzle, I couldn't reach the loveseat because my engine chose to stall out. Not to mention that I was two short ;-)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:52:25 AM by rogue_mother »
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 23, 2022, 03:27:27 PM »
Rhesus, suppress and suppresses were my downfall yesterday.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #979 on: January 23, 2022, 03:37:39 PM »
Lots of “esses” in the puzzle today and it was the day for Roddles and Maudland to be our stand-out rosetteers – well done on recognising all fifty six common words… Nobody from our cohort assumed rosettenear status but doxydaisy lost some standing by being two short.

Dragonman, rogue_mother and auntiemo were one further back on fifty three while Jancsika and ozzyjune landed a pack of commons on fifty two… Apparently auntiemo had rhesuses but not rhesus - go figure!!!  :-P :-P :-P

ozzymAndias was next on fifty one commons then, on an even fifty, was my own good self having failed to SUPPRESS my PEERESS and RHESUS and their respective “ES”es…

vizal rounded out our coterie with a sturdy forty eight commons uncovered and ozzyjack, blackrockrose and RL were again absent one presumes due to the high word count…

Mavens were in better supply today with rogue_mother, doxydaisy, ozzymAndias, Roddles, dragonman, auntiemo and myself managing that achievement with vizal and ozzyjune just missing out.
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 23, 2022, 03:44:02 PM »
Actually had rhesus but not rhesuses...autocorrect correct me again.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 24, 2022, 07:28:12 AM »
Some usurper tried to usurp my breakfast. That's what I get for failing to put enough pepper on it.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #982 on: January 24, 2022, 03:10:07 PM »
2dognight led out our team of rosetteers who managed to find all thirty six common words, followed by dragonman, Roddles, doxydaisy and ozzyjune – well done all of you!!!

ozzyjack, Maudland and I made up the three rosettenears – so close yet so far… Personally, I think it should be NONLEGAL to have certain conjunctions allowed as common words (as it cost me a rosette)...

rogue_mother was only two short though she may take umbrage at the “only” while one further back saw three cohorters in yelnats, auntiemo and ozzymAndias…

Jancsika was on his own on thirty one commons, while vizal found twenty nine. RL was MIA…

Not wishing to cast nasturtiums, it was a surprise to see that dragonman was our sole maven but finding at least sixty three words total was a bridge too far for the rest of us…
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 24, 2022, 08:50:17 PM »
NONLEGAL played more in hope than expectation was my 62 word and gave a rosette. After the time I had spent finding it I played 2 more words for Maven.

I suspect I spend a lot more time on Chi than anyone else..I just hate the game to beat me.
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #984 on: January 24, 2022, 08:52:11 PM »
I suspect I spend a lot more time on Chi than anyone else..I just hate the game to beat me.

Don't bet on that, Gareth...  :o :o :o

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 24, 2022, 10:48:17 PM »
Nonlegal got me over the line - but it was pure desperation! Even as I write this my spelling checker keeps hyphenating it. However once I had it, it did make sense that it was OK.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 25, 2022, 04:16:59 AM »
My galleon sank because I couldn't fathom that nonlegal was a real word.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #987 on: January 25, 2022, 08:39:38 AM »
It sounds like NONLEGAL is due a challenge as a common word - let's make it illegal shall we???  ;D ;D ;D

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #988 on: January 25, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »
We have a large handful of rosetteers today in 2dognight, doxydaisy, dragonman, Roddles, Maudland, ozzyjune and I who all uncovered the needed twenty six common words – nice one!!! 👏👏👏 At risk of breaking the spell, it should be noted that Roddles is officially on a roll…  :-P :-P :-P

rogue_mother and ozzyjack were rosettenears whilst yelnats and HJ(Jancsika) can now be considered two short… I noticed rogue_mother active right up until the final bell. It will be interesting to discover the word that tripped her up!!! You too Jack…

On twenty three commons found was auntiemo which put her three off the pace with ozzymAndias and vizal two further back on twenty one and that was as many of our coterie as I could locate…

dragonman and rogue_mother were alone amongst our cohort in achieving mavenhood and should be congratulated for that achievement… 👏👏👏

Remember, the only entrance requirement for joining our little band of 7-by-manyers is to post in this forum thread… All welcome!!!

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 25, 2022, 03:35:04 PM »
Inane, naive and avian are all words I know well.....