Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130566 times)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #945 on: January 17, 2022, 03:42:37 PM »
I had sissies but not cissies, because I've never heard of it, nor has my spellchecker!

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 17, 2022, 07:21:50 PM »
JENNIES. I did think about it by said to myself "Nah, that's a proper name". Doh...

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #947 on: January 18, 2022, 03:36:57 PM »
Yet another low-scoring 7bm puzzle with four of our number finding all twenty four common words and hence becoming rosetteers extraordinaire! auntiemo led them off with Roddles, ozzyjune and ozzyjack joining her. Rosettenears included 2dognight, dragonman, doxydaisy, Maudland and blackrockrose. I think all nine of you deserve praise…

Well, my SENTENCE for not getting ENSCONCE is to be relegated to the two short club where I was joined by rogue_mother.

vizal and ozzymAndias must have a ‘thing’ going as they both scored twenty commons (yesterday they both scored sixteen and the day before twenty two!) – collusion? who said collusion???  ??? ??? ???

yelnats and Jancsika were one further back on nineteen and that appears to be that. If I missed you off this list, please let me know…

Mavenhood for today was awarded to: just 2dognight and dragonman – where was rogue_mother? you might ask – on thirty four, well below the thirty nine words required. Must have been an off day…  :-R :-R :-R Of course, I can hardly talk, I was way back on thirty one!!!  :-S :-S :-S
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:39:32 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #948 on: January 18, 2022, 04:55:05 PM »
This is, I think, the third time I've missed nosecone.

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 18, 2022, 05:42:27 PM »
I have to admit I even missed the big word (do people really say "obscenest"? I think "most obscene" would be more common, but I might be wrong...)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #950 on: January 18, 2022, 06:32:06 PM »
I have to admit, the same thought went through my mind HJ...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 19, 2022, 06:09:15 AM »
This is, I think, the third time I've missed nosecone.

That was the one that blew my chances too. I guessed OBSCENEST but it’s a peculiar one …

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 19, 2022, 07:13:15 AM »

Mavenhood for today was awarded to: just 2dognight and dragonman – where was rogue_mother? you might ask – on thirty four, well below the thirty nine words required. Must have been an off day…  :-R :-R :-R Of course, I can hardly talk, I was way back on thirty one!!!  :-S :-S :-S

Just another senescent Chi player, sitting in the nosecone, waiting to blast off into the empty spaces in her mind...
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #953 on: January 19, 2022, 03:26:52 PM »
We had a handful of rosetteers today – auntiemo, Jancsika, Roddles, Maudland and ozzyjune – so why did I have so much trouble??? Congratulations to all of you who got the forty three common words needed…

rogue_mother and ozzyjack missed it by “that” much but probably weren’t loving it – they did however get the runner-up prize of a rosettenear as well as the answer to life, the universe and everything!!!

2dognight, doxydaisy and dragonman were made smaller by being two short while blackrockrose and yelnats were prime examples on thirty seven commons found. I managed thirty six (seven off the pace) and vizal scored thirty three. ozzymAndias was MIA as was RL.

To get a maven award you needed sixty or more words in total and only two of our cohort managed that feat – ozzyjack and rogue_mother – well done both of you. 👏👏👏

For those who are interested, none of the words I missed were contentious in any way - ATHLETE, LETHERETTE, LETHAL, LETHALLY, REHEAR, THEATER (brought down by American spelling once more!) and THEREAT

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 19, 2022, 03:58:13 PM »
I have decided to give the games with over 40 words to play a miss.

That will teach me to break my own rules.  Anyway, it was all greek to me, I missed ..

Regards, Jack

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 19, 2022, 07:37:37 PM »
Ozzyjack, I was stuck on the last word for ages, and it turned out to be THETA.

if only it had had a variant of COVID named after it, I'm sure we'd have found it quicker!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #956 on: January 19, 2022, 08:25:52 PM »
if only it had had a variant of COVID named after it, I'm sure we'd have found it quicker!

It's probably only a matter of time
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 20, 2022, 09:20:36 AM »
Ozzyjack, I was stuck on the last word for ages, and it turned out to be THETA.

Same here. THEATRE and THEATER took ages too 😳
After doing this puzzle, I’ve been PLAGUED by “warm leatherette” (the song) on a constant loop in my head.  Driving me nuts!

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 20, 2022, 01:02:36 PM »
My regrets are bound in leatherette.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #959 on: January 20, 2022, 03:22:46 PM »
Well, that was a real doozy!!! None of our cohort managed to get the necessary fifty seven common words to score a rosette and only two were rosettenears – well done to both doxydaisy and Maudland for getting so close…

Jancsika, rogue_mother and Roddles were one further back which makes them all two short (is this pun wearing thin for anyone else???) while yelnats was one further back on fifty four. blackrockrose and ozzyjune managed fifty two and vizal, dragonman and I were just shy of the half century – I could have had another five commons had I been a good ASSESSOR who ASSESSES and REASSESSES. I need to not just ASSESS but REASSESS the RARER OASES (and I don’t know how to blend SASSES into this diatribe!!!)…

ozzymAndias found forty six commons and RL found a creditable thirty eight in this challenging 7bm. ozzyjack was a self-declared non-starter and would have saved himself hours of searching as a result. (Correction: for some reason, I looked right down the bottom to find that ozzyjack did have a go [seven commons found] but must have realised his mistake early on!!!  ;) ;) ;) )

rogue_mother was our sole maven having pushed well through the eleventieth (hat tip to Bilbo) barrier… 👏👏👏
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 03:50:35 PM by ridethetalk »