Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129356 times)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #885 on: January 08, 2022, 12:22:12 PM »
Or classic, maybe?

(Mind you, I wouldn’t have thought ridethetalk was that common - is it an Aussie thing?  :P )

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #886 on: January 08, 2022, 01:14:46 PM »
Or classic, maybe?

(Mind you, I wouldn’t have thought ridethetalk was that common - is it an Aussie thing?  :P )

More of a prog rock fellow actually... lol

Madeleine, thanks for giving me this opportunity. ridethetalk refers to my 8,500 km bicycle journey around Australia in 2010 promoting energy efficiency because...

...climate change is a thing and my kids' futures are important to me.

Energy efficiency is (still) the quickest, cleanest and cheapest way to reduce carbon emissions. I did this on a pushbike because it's the most efficient form of transport ever devised. (I also met my wife through being in a cycle touring club.) I rode solo, towing a trailer with 40kg of gear, into towns; gave a two hour interactive talk that night and rode out the next morning - I wasn't walking the talk, I was riding the talk...  ;D ;D ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #887 on: January 08, 2022, 03:30:14 PM »
Another good haul of rosettes today with rogue_mother, ozzyjune, doxydaisy, ozzymAndias, Maudland, myself, blackrockrose and ozzyjack all scoring twenty eight common words found and becoming rosetteers as a result. Good work all! Just a question: does getting two rosettes in a row constitute a run? Because, if it does, we have eight runs on the go…  ;D ;D ;D

We also have a handful of rosettenears in 2dognight, auntiemo, dragonman, Jancsika and Roddles – what word let you down people??? My last was HOOEY…  ???

yelnats was the sole smallish scorer by being two short on twenty six; vizal missed joining him by one and RL appears to have taken the day off…

Mavens were more difficult to achieve today with doxydaisy, dragonman, rogue_mother, blackrockrose and ozzymAndias managing that triumph!!!  :-V :-V :-V
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 08, 2022, 03:43:28 PM »
Thanks once again for doing this. I really enjoy reading your summaries, or should I say syntheses ;D?

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #889 on: January 08, 2022, 08:06:38 PM »
Yep, I'd call them syntheses – the last word I got.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 08, 2022, 09:34:34 PM »
I missed HOOEY.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 08, 2022, 09:38:56 PM »
HOSTESSES   but I got HOSTESS. Dumb or what???
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 09, 2022, 05:14:36 AM »
Or classic, maybe?

More of a prog rock fellow actually... lol

Madeleine, thanks for giving me this opportunity. ridethetalk refers to my 8,500 km bicycle journey around Australia in 2010 promoting energy efficiency because...

...climate change is a thing and my kids' futures are important to me.

Energy efficiency is (still) the quickest, cleanest and cheapest way to reduce carbon emissions. I did this on a pushbike because it's the most efficient form of transport ever devised. (I also met my wife through being in a cycle touring club.) I rode solo, towing a trailer with 40kg of gear, into towns; gave a two hour interactive talk that night and rode out the next morning - I wasn't walking the talk, I was riding the talk...  ;D ;D ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use...

Blimey, that’s a huge thing to have done - how long did it take you? And an excellent thing to have done, too 👏🏻🙌🏻

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 09, 2022, 05:53:29 AM »
My last word was also hooey. Judging by my progress in today's 7bm, my run will be over at two, lol. I'm going to run right into a wall.

You can read about RTT's ride around Australia here.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 09, 2022, 07:51:05 AM »
My last words were the 3 first Ts - teeth, teethe, tenth.

Thanks, R_M for the reference on John's ride.  Very interesting.

John, does this bring back memories?
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #895 on: January 09, 2022, 11:04:06 AM »
Yes, I was in Townsville and had just given blood - that's me and BOB (my Beast Of Burden)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #896 on: January 09, 2022, 12:18:26 PM »
Blimey, that’s a huge thing to have done - how long did it take you? And an excellent thing to have done, too 👏🏻🙌🏻

I left in winter (July here in Oz) and got back home in December. I didn't ride the whole way around Australia because my purpose was to speak to audiences, so, when the distance between towns became greater than 150km, I took other transport. I rode from Melbourne, Victoria, to Rockhampton, Queensland. By that stage I had ridden 4,000 km. I took buses from Rockie to Townsville then Darwin (Northern Territory), Broome and Geraldton (Western Australia).

Back on the bike facing stiff headwinds all the way south to Perth (the trees grew up about 75 cm then headed north!), then down to Albany before heading back to Perth and the train across the Nullarbor to Port Augusta (South Australia) then back on the bike again for the ride to Adelaide and back to Melbourne via the Coorong.

Then, after Christmas with the family, I took the ferry to Devonport (Tasmania) and spent two weeks travelling the island state where I recorded my fastest speed (80 km/hr) travelling down Bust-Me-Gall after having ridden up Break-Me-Neck - something tells me they are normally attacked the other way around!!!  ;D ;D ;D I wasn't slowing for anyone - I didn't like the possibility of the trailer overtaking me!!! The hills in Tasmania are very much like those in the UK but that means the distances need to be multiplied by at least 1.5 to get a more true indication of the difficulty of that day's ride!

I was the recipient of the generosity of dozens of people who opened their homes to me (the not-for-profit I worked for organised billets wherever possible) and saw some magnificent sights - Australia has enough scenery on its shores to make it unnecessary to travel overseas. From pristine white sand beaches to snow-capped mountains; lush tropical rainforests to deserts; we have it all. I saw cane fields burning in northern NSW; dolphins surfing near Geraldton WA; miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles; I rode up 15° grades and down sweeping roads overlooking splendiferous countryside!

In my talks I asked people to do three things they hadn't already done to reduce their energy use; I then asked them to ask three friends to do likewise (why not spread the savings around!) and then, when they had achieved those three things, go back and choose another three! Three is an achievable number and doesn't overwhelm people...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 12:21:32 PM by ridethetalk »

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 09, 2022, 03:08:29 PM »
I would really appreciate it if somebody could please explain how this happens!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #898 on: January 09, 2022, 03:22:25 PM »
No idea whatsoever, auntiemo - I just know it happens far too often...  :P :P :P

Well, my run, such that it was, is now over. Rosetteers for today were Maudland, rogue_mother and Roddles – well done all! We had more rosettenears in doxydaisy, auntiemo, Jancsika, ozzyjune, ozzymAndias and ozzyjack.

Nobody scored thirty six common words from our crew which would have made them two short so magnitude was maintained. yelnats and myself were three off the pace and blackrockrose was one further back. dragonman recorded thirty three commons, vizal thirty two and 2dognight thirty one.

I was unable to find RL on the scoreboard so they may be doing other things at present – perhaps the cricket has their attention…

Mavens were few and far between today with only ozzyjack and rogue_mother managing the sixty five words to score this award.

For those keeping score, Maudland and rogue_mother are now on a run of three rosettes…

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 09, 2022, 03:30:12 PM »
Moyra, if I could explain how all three of us missed MUSEUM, I might be able to give you an answer.. Thanks for the good wishes,
Regards, Jack