Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129544 times)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #855 on: January 05, 2022, 09:49:25 AM »
A rare rosette for the rogue. Yay! Happy to have lots of company. The last common word I found was ginseng.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 05, 2022, 10:17:11 AM »
A rogue rosette and a blackrockrosette! Well I never …

Well, true, I never, because the EFFIGIES DINGED me and I nodded off before the ENDING  :-P Too many words! Congrats to all the rosetteers and those who had the stamina to get Maven!!

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #857 on: January 05, 2022, 03:24:32 PM »
In another high word count game, with a total of sixty two common words needed to score a rosette, three of our number were rosetteers: auntiemo, ozzyjune and ozzyjack – well done all of you!!! Almost but not quite making it and so becoming rosettenears were rogue_mother and Maudland – congrats to you as well!

There were three of us in the miniature category being two short: blackrockrose, myself and dragonman. I would have needed an AMALGAM of good luck and persistence to land this particular fish, though GAFFING would also have done the trick… Coming in at fifty nine was doxydaisy while Jancsika, ozzymAndias and yelnats were one further back.

vizal scored fifty six while RL seems to have had something better to do as they got one of the three common words using all the letters and then begged off! Speaking of which FLIMFLAMMING common, really!!! ??? ??? ??? I got it but seriously didn't expect it to be common!

rogue_mother, doxydaisy, myself and auntiemo managed to find the needed total to become mavens!!!
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #858 on: January 05, 2022, 03:37:59 PM »
The fact that i missed angina is giving me a pain in(ning) the chest.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 05, 2022, 03:51:48 PM »
At one stage I was one ahead of June but she found amalgam and mainlining before I found infilling.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:59:48 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 05, 2022, 06:22:14 PM »
Flimflamming got me beat. Like you John I wouldn't think it would be common. Also had flinging but in my excitement missed fling!

Congrats to all who did well with this one. I don't know about anyone else but I find the puzzles ending in 'ing' very tedious :-Z

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 05, 2022, 06:31:11 PM »
AIMING and MAIMING, which I really should have found,, LIMING, which is in the grey area, and FLAGMAN, which I'd never have found in a million years, never having come across it before.

I agree with the general consensus on FLIMFLAMMING. I found it, but don't think it's particularly common.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 06, 2022, 10:20:12 AM »
Yeah, FLAGMAN got me, too. Can’t think a man carrying a flag for signalling is a common thing??

And I agree about FLIMFLAMMING with my head, but my heart …

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 06, 2022, 03:20:46 PM »
Oh dear...I missed bonnie....but had bonnier. Also missed oriole.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 06, 2022, 03:27:50 PM »
Moyra, Bonnie will forgive you.  The last one I got was oriele.  I got oriel early and was disappointed it was rare but it was out of desperation that I put an " e" on the end. I didn't expect it to be a word.
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 06, 2022, 03:42:39 PM »
I "assumed" bonny would be the common spelling. I should know by now what assuming does!!
And you really fluked the mistyping bit if adding an e to oriel gave you the common word ORIOLE.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #866 on: January 06, 2022, 04:18:29 PM »
2dognight leads the field into rosetteer space with ozzyjune, doxydaisy, ozzyjack and Roddles joining her – good job all… The thirty nine common words were well deserved!

Just missing out (and becoming rosettenears as a result) were rogue_mother and Maudland. auntiemo and dragonman are losing stature this time with auntiemo missing out because of a BONNIE ORIOLE!!! 😉😉😉

ozzymAndias was one further back with yelnats one behind him on thirty five. Jancsika and I scored thirty four while blackrockrose was a further two back on thirty two. vizal managed twenty seven and would have thought it a bit rum to not get REBELLION, I’m sure… :-R :-R :-R

rogue_mother, doxydaisy, 2dognight and auntiemo achieved greatness with their maven scores!!!

Personally, I missed BEERIER, INBORN, LEONINE, LIBELLER and ORIOLE - the last of which seems to have tripped up many...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #867 on: January 06, 2022, 05:23:14 PM »
Yeah, FLAGMAN got me, too. Can’t think a man carrying a flag for signalling is a common thing??

Around here nearly every building site or roadworks area has a flagman or two who seem to be 50+% female!

Missed algal, amalgam, flimflamming, and mainlining.

Missed brill, leonine, libber, and online.

I don't feel bad about flimflamming, mainlining, brill or libber (had to change most back after my tablet changed them to something it knew!).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:30:47 PM by yelnats »

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 06, 2022, 07:03:21 PM »
Jancsika and I scored thirty four

BOBBIN, BONNIE, (although I got BONNIER, on the basis of the adjective being BONNY), LIBBER, LIBELLER and LOONIER.

I was glad to see BEERIER put in an appearance. I'm not sure how common it actually is in real life, but sentences like "Friday night was beery, but Saturday night was even beerier' have a pleasing ring to them!

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 07, 2022, 02:02:24 AM »
BRINIER and LIBBER were my downfall.

I have done a little better today  ;D
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else