Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129367 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #585 on: November 25, 2021, 11:35:21 AM »
BASEST, for heaven’s sake!
Well done, rosetteers!
Your time will come, RTT, if you keep at it  :)

lol  :-P :-P :-P I think Alan would object to "rosetteers" even apart from the plural form! but I gotta say I love it...

As for keeping at it, that's a given as it's now an addiction!  ;D

And, yes, dox is doing very well and we should all take heart from her ability to rack them up...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #586 on: November 25, 2021, 03:29:06 PM »
Well, yesterday's 7bm was an interesting one - I came closer than I have in a while, missing by only two. I had acetone but not ACETATE! Doh! I thought I had the "word" when I spotted COTANGENT but that, apparently, was simply my love of maths showing through...

I missed COGNATE completely and I'm wondering whether I must have been sick the day they talked about this word! Not common to me at all. When I saw the word I guessed it must have something to do with cognition but, no, it's something else entirely - go figure!

Now that I've itched my 'b', it's time to congratulate dox on yet another rosette. She was joined there by Binkie (as I type this I'm not sure if Binkie has contributed to this thread but I know I've seen her name on the forum as she used to be known as Binks in a previous time). Well done both of you!

rogue_mother and Jancsika were just one back - commiserations to both of you. Next were auntiemo, dragonman, ozzyjune, Maudland, ozzyjack and yours truly - though the others all got the seed word!

Roddles was a further one back at 30 common words and yelnats was on 29 - still good performances IMHO.

Good luck in today's puzzle everyone, especially you dox - keep the run going...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 25, 2021, 03:46:00 PM »
"Connote" for me. I'd already played "connotate," (rare) which means the same thing, apparently. One to remember!

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 25, 2021, 05:43:12 PM »
I think I've hit a wall on this game and it might be the end of my run of rosettes. Way too much pressure :o Thank you to everyone for your words of encouragement.

Well done to all players on their achievements playing these very challenging puzzles. They can be very taxing on the brain but I suppose that's why we play them!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 25, 2021, 05:50:11 PM »
I missed cocoa which I thought I had played but you know what thought did.

The other one I missed was cognac, which is also ironic because I do miss cognac. ;D.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 02:25:15 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 25, 2021, 07:22:59 PM »
Cetacean.....and canoe.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 26, 2021, 12:28:36 AM »
I missed cottage after finding cotta. Oh, dear!
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 26, 2021, 03:19:24 AM »
CETACEAN and CANTATA....which was a head slapping miss for me.
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 26, 2021, 01:11:48 PM »
CETACEAN (never get that one) and COGNAC for me (make it a double) …
But good news tonight - there’s a puzzle in the ‘your puzzles’ section (yes, I’m that addicted) with very similar letters to the current 7BM. Obviously the slight variation rattled my brain a bit differently and my Last Word fell out. Worth a try? The solution’s not available so it’s not cheating!

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #594 on: November 26, 2021, 03:04:20 PM »
WOO HOO!!! I’ve finally cracked it! Congrats also to Maudland who got her rosette well before me. My last word was NIPPINESS and I’ve got to say it was a joy to see that “You got all the words in the puzzle!” come up!

Commiserations to doxydaisy whose run of rosettes has come to an end.  :'( How many in a row was that dox? Mind you, she only missed by one (I'm curious to find what it was) and shared that honour with Jancsika and Roddles who were all on 46 common words.

Next came dragonman, rogue_mother and ozzyjune sitting on 45; Binkie scored 43 and yelnats was five words short on 42 followed by blackrockrose and ozzyjack on 40 – seven off the pace.

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 26, 2021, 03:17:06 PM »
Congratulations to the pair of you! "Penne" was my pasta disaster...

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 26, 2021, 04:00:53 PM »
Huge congrats to you John and also Maudland. Rosettes well deserved! Would you believe possesses was my downfall. Had possess of course. I can definitely relate to the slap on the forehead and doh moment that you had recently RM!

I think I had 7 in a row John. Maybe this will be the start of your run now! Oh well onward and upward :D

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #597 on: November 26, 2021, 05:34:48 PM »
Doh!!!

nesses and es's can trip up many a player...

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 27, 2021, 06:18:01 AM »
Good for you, John! The getting of rosettes generates a wonderful feeling when it's not an everyday occurrence. And congrats to you, too, Maudland. Like JH, I also missed penne, and if I had been a fly on your wall, John, I might also have gotten nippiness. Maybe next time!!
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 27, 2021, 11:42:39 AM »
Yay, well done John! Did you celebrate with a cognac, by any chance?
I know exactly that feeling of ‘doh’ when you’re caught out by an -es (or -ed) ending. Especially when you get a word with the ending but not without! Happened to me many times …
The word I nearly missed was OPPOSE - I’d have been tough on myself for that one.