Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129541 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #435 on: September 09, 2021, 07:38:01 PM »
being the only player that could not find the seed word.

Happened to me a few days ago - the radicchio Standard game!

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 09, 2021, 07:52:28 PM »
Haha  :-Y

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #437 on: September 09, 2021, 10:14:24 PM »
being the only player that could not find the seed word.

Happened to me a few days ago - the radicchio Standard game!

You weren't the only one who missed RADDICHIO...  :-P :-P :-P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #438 on: September 09, 2021, 10:29:52 PM »
I am loathe to draw attention to the other obvious standout which was myself being the only player that could not find the seed word.

Les, when you missed saccharin I sent you a message, "hey sweetie". The word you missed did not lend itself to any public comment!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 10, 2021, 08:48:36 AM »
Thanks for the thought, Stan.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 10, 2021, 09:42:31 AM »
I know spiffing, but it's very British;
You'd expect to see it in, for example, public school stories featuring Billy Bunter and those of his ilk.

'Wizard, chaps! Spiffing japes. Cripes! *Cavy. you fellows, Old Squelch is on the prowl.'

I don't think anyone ever spoke like that, at least not in the real world, but it's certainly to be found in P.G.Wodehouse and other novels satirizing upper-class twitteries.

*'cavy, spelled various ways; supposedly schoolboy slang for 'Watch out! Be careful! Take care', from Latin 'cavere'
It survives in the phrase 'caveat emptor ' - 'Let the buyer beware'

I’m determined to use ‘spiffing’ tomorrow at work in an inner London comprehensive  ;D

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #441 on: September 11, 2021, 02:05:08 PM »
Note to self:

ALWAYS CHECK FOR US SPELLING ALTERNATIVES

Succor was the only word I missed, even though I found succour!

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #442 on: September 11, 2021, 02:56:21 PM »
I also missed succor. I never thought of it being another US misspelling!

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #443 on: September 11, 2021, 04:16:11 PM »
Succor was amongst a number of words I missed; succour I had...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 12, 2021, 07:54:13 AM »
I reckon you can give yourself a rosette because you got the word regardless of the US spelling!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 12, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »
When it comes to the baobab tree, there are tons of traditions and legends. Confucius used to teach wisdom under a Baobab tree.  The African tribes believe that the baobab tree once grew upright. Because it considered itself to be better than all the other trees, the gods decided to teach it a lesson. To stop its boasting, the gods uprooted it and planted the tree upside down to teach it humility.   

I don't know if it learnt the lesson but I did today because it was the one I missed.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 12, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »
I’m determined to use ‘spiffing’ tomorrow at work in an inner London comprehensive  ;D

I'd love to be a fly on your classroom wall Madeline!  I think you should consider 'old bean' as well!  Don't know why but it always tickles me :laugh:  Joking aside, after everything that's happened over the last 18 months I hope everything is as normal as you can hope for at school now.

Anyway, never mind Ben Stokes! There have been a number of England cricketers born outside of the UK. Without consulting Ms Google I can only think of Kevin Pietersen & Andrew Strauss off the top of my head.  There have been a few over the years - I presume it depends on where their parents were born.  My biggest disappointment was finding out that my hero & all time favourite captain Michael Vaughan was not the Yorkshire man I thought he was :laugh:  He was born on the wrong side of The Pennines & is actually a Lancastrian >:D
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 13, 2021, 12:47:56 AM »
A Lancastrian? Oh, the horror! 🌹

I might give ‘old bean’ a go next week. I’ll try not to cop out and say it to an actual student this time!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 13, 2021, 04:10:15 AM »
A Lancastrian? Oh, the horror! 🌹

I might give ‘old bean’ a go next week. I’ll try not to cop out and say it to an actual student this time!

Do you teach the Wars of the Roses? :laugh: 

I'd like to see the student's reaction if you called them 'old bean'
Something along the lines of "I say, pip pip old bean!"  In a Bertie Woosterish voice >:D
Sorry I do have a slightly warped sense of humour ;D  I'll clear off & look for some words.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #449 on: September 13, 2021, 03:38:05 PM »
I got the seed word (TAUTOLOGOUS) as my last word and I would like to submit that AUTOLOGOUS is as common. I had heard of autologous (I got autologous early on in the piece) and, whilst I have definitely heard of tautology, I almost missed out on tautologous…

How did other’s experience go? Which did you get first???

PS. As I type this in MS word, autologous doesn’t get the red squiggly line underneath but tautologous does. When I checked what word suggests, one of the words is autologous!!! Go figure!!! (My language choice is English (Australia))