Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130828 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #285 on: August 23, 2021, 02:12:26 PM »
Well done to all of those players who found rosettes & mavens in yesterday's game.
The stand out for me was the high scoring double of doxydaisy.

I am kicking myself for failing to find so many " easy words " ; eleven ( again ), enrol, enroll & lovelorn.
I am blaming it on my local apothecary for failing to provide a suitable remedy for my Sunday hangover.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 02:19:49 PM by les303 »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 23, 2021, 03:06:27 PM »
Yes I didn’t pick up my draught from the apothecary - if so I might have seen lovelorn - also a word not seen so much today. I have to say the 7 by many is doing my head in, goodness you are all fantastic achieving rosettes so quickly. I noticed blackrockrose was one of these.
My nighttime sleep is being seriously impacted by this new game!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2021, 03:27:42 PM »
ELONERON – term used by SpaceX enthusiasts to describe the fore and aft control surfaces on the Starship upper stage. As distinct from ailerons, these take their name from that of SpaceX founder Elon Musk.

As a diversion for those looking for something uplifting (pun intended), you could do worse than checking out various YouTube channels on the progress of SpaceX https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBNHHEoiSF8pcLgqLKVugOw, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6uKrU_WqJ1R2HMTY3LIx5Q and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSUu1lih2RifWkKtDOJdsBA are all worthy for anyone with an outside interest in what is happening with this fast evolving industry.

I still get shivers down my spine whenever I watch the synchronous landing of the outer boosters from SpaceX's first Falcon heavy launch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FZIwabctw
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 03:53:40 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2021, 03:34:43 PM »
Yes I didn’t pick up my draught from the apothecary - if so I might have seen lovelorn - also a word not seen so much today. I have to say the 7 by many is doing my head in, goodness you are all fantastic achieving rosettes so quickly. I noticed blackrockrose was one of these.

I was one of the select group who missed LOVELORN, though I also missed REVELER (the single 'l' earns that red squiggly line; I did have reveller, however) - I wonder what kind of draught a lovelorn reveler may indulge in in order to bury the pain...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 23, 2021, 04:47:11 PM »
If I were to look at the stats, I'm pretty sure the majority of my rosettes come at weekends, when I have more time - not to mention mental energy- on my hands. Case in point I was stuck with Last Word Syndrome for what seemed like ages, I had a little nap and when I got up the last word (levee) just popped into my head....

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #290 on: August 23, 2021, 08:36:43 PM »
I had a little nap and when I got up the last word (levee) just popped into my head....

With a levee popping into your head, does this mean you have a dirty mind???  ;D ;D ;D

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 24, 2021, 03:48:39 PM »
I have to say the 7 by many is doing my head in, goodness you are all fantastic achieving rosettes so quickly. I noticed blackrockrose was one of these.

When playing 7bm, i keep my sanity by lowering my expectations.
If i pass the best score, find the seed word & keep my missing words in single figures then i am satisfied.
The difficulty in finding a rosette or scoring a maven just makes it all the more pleasing when i do occasionally manage to do so.
In yesterday's game when i was beginning to think that the targets were impossible, i found the inspiration to persevere a little longer when i checked the scoreboard to see mkenuk, valerie & doxydaisy all with roses next to their name & rogue mother with a maven score.
So i do thank all of the elite players for setting such a very high standard which shows us mere mortals that it can be done & giving us some hope that maybe next time...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:53:55 PM by les303 »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 24, 2021, 06:18:35 PM »
I think it’s a bridge too far for me. The words I missed were certainly not common to me. But lockdown is providing me the chance to play, albeit in a L (learner) mode.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 06:30:36 PM by Jacki »
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 24, 2021, 06:51:52 PM »
Believe me when I say that I find 7bm almost impossible to come to grips with.  The game took me many months, with lots of misses, to get even a minor handle on it.  It is with pure fluke that I now manage the score that I do.  Perhaps because I blast away and type random letters hoping that they make up a word.  No-one is more surprised than I am when they do!  But, to be honest, being of "advanced years", I'm willing to admit that perhaps there are many words roaming around my foggy brain that even I'm not aware of.  The words that I do miss are the easiest which is so damn irritating.  And I don't care one hoot if the word is common or rare.  They are still words.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 06:54:06 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 24, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »
Well put Valerie and I think the same way as you. A word is a word whether common or not. I played these 7 by many games in the your puzzles section for a while and it really did my head in (and still does) but I persevered until I got the hang of it and now thanks to Alan ;D I'm addicted to all of the puzzles.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 25, 2021, 10:01:28 AM »
There is one thing that i know for sure & that is that we all love to play this wonderful game of chi but it does have its quirks.
Number one for me has always been the confusing plural rule, number 2, the industry specific words that are classed as common & number 3 the fact that there are 2 acceptable ways to spell the same word.
In general i agree with Val & Dox & really do not care how any word is classed unless of course the word in question costs me a rosette.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2021, 11:51:44 AM »
Can I lend a hearty "hear, hear" to the above three comments. (Of course, if the forum had the ability to add a 'like' to a comment, I wouldn't need to write this...)  ;) ;) ;)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 25, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
Once again. rosettes were very hard to attain, so congratulations to those who managed to do so. ( nice to see a couple of non - regulars  in there - marlin & pat )
Gareth must get a special mention as he also reached the maven score (just).

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #298 on: August 25, 2021, 02:38:04 PM »
I was surprised by the number of people who fell one word short - I missed by two - as, once you got FLYLEAF, it follows that you would get FLYLEAVES.

Guess which two I missed...  ???

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 25, 2021, 02:45:33 PM »
My 2 were eyeless and salsa (yet again!!)
Redlands , Queensland, Australia