Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130475 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2021, 08:17:05 PM »
I missed entente and, whilst I managed fifteen, I was missing nineteen so I missed my second rosette by two words.

I have heard of detente (which, strangely enough, earns a red squiggly line under it as I type it) but not of entente (which doesn't) so that rosette was always going to be beyond my reach...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2021, 10:38:47 AM »
I’ve only heard of entente through entente cordiale but it’s one I’ve trained myself to look for. It’s often the double letters that I miss, even easy words. Took a while to spot my last word yesterday - tinny!

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2021, 10:40:16 AM »
And Mike’s done it again! 👏🏻🥇

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2021, 11:16:27 AM »
Jack, So just to create some interest, perhaps a more realistic little bit of a harmless competition might be to see who is first to get their second rosette between you & RTT.

Les, interest who for?  If I am interested in competing, it is only against myself.  I have limited interest in how other people go.  It might be different if I could compete with the top elite but I don't think so and, anyway, it is never going to happen.  I already spend too much time on the computer, including on chi and the forum, and so I will just muddle along enjoying what I do without pressure.
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2021, 12:59:35 PM »
Quite selfishly, interesting for me but then you do know how easily amused i am.
Anyway, no worries Jack, each to their own.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2021, 02:03:53 PM »
Well that was a friendlier bunch of letters but i still failed to find platelet, tappet & theta.

Mike's incredible run of rosettes continues.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »
Just 8 rosettes & 12 mavens in this game.
No surprise thatmkenuk featured with a rosette & rogue mother with a maven (just).

Bad luck for Jancsika, just one short of a rosette.

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2021, 04:57:09 PM »
I missed murmurous.. can't say I've heard of it. Only 34 out of 339 players got it. I just want to say well done to everyone playing these puzzles. They can be extremely hard at the best of times and it certainly gets your brain thinking outside the square.

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2021, 05:03:12 PM »
Oh and sorry Les I'm not in your 7 by many club but hope it's ok for me to post a comment here. By the way we had a little punt on your tip Red Can Man last weekend and won on the place so thank you  ;D Any other red hot tips you've got would be most helpful  ;D

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2021, 05:49:41 PM »
"Murmurous" was my downfall too. Good game though, with lots of quirks.

Did anyone else try (and fail) with "humeruses"? It turns out the accepted plural is "humeri". The sentence "I fell and broke both my humeri" I'd one I hope never to have to use!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2021, 05:51:46 PM »
murmurous was the last word I played and it was a guess. Sounds as though it might have come from a nineteenth century nature poem.
rhesuses? Does this word really have a plural?
According to COD it only seems to be used as part of a phrase such as rhesus monkey. rhesus baby etc

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:53:57 PM by mkenuk »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 18, 2021, 05:56:10 PM »
Well you are now.
The only requirement to become an " official " member of the 7BMC is to make a post in this thread & of course everybody is invited to do so.
It gives me great pleasure to offer a warm welcome to the club to such an elite player & i look forward to your future insights & contributions.

As you say, this game really does force you to think outside of the square & it is that requirement for lateral thinking that i really enjoy.
I missed a stack of words in that game ( most of which i knew & should have found... bugger! ) but i would never have found murmurous.

doxydaisy, are you going to do a Hungarian John & make us guess your first name?

doxydaisy

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 18, 2021, 07:34:57 PM »
Thank you for your lovely comments Les and no I will not make you guess my name. It is Ann. Nothing to do with my user name which is my nickname. All my family call me dox for short including my beautiful sis-in-law Jacki.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2021, 09:39:01 AM »
She may " only " be your sister in law but you pair seem to have a hell of a lot in common.

Dox, i will try to post a tip each Friday afternoon for Saturdays races.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 19, 2021, 10:01:15 AM »
Murmurous, rhesuses and sorer were my missing words! I’ll forgive 2/3. And yes, I did try humeruses  :-\