Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129341 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2021, 06:05:20 PM »

I'm going to have to scratch up "redound" to the "muumuu" list (ie "common" words I'd never heard of until playing this game)!

Sorry Hungarian John but i do have to disagree.
I failed to play redound & redounded as they are words that do not easily come to mind however when i saw them in the solution, they were immediately recognisable for me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 06:06:52 PM by les303 »

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2021, 06:16:01 PM »
I didn't claim that wasn't common, but rather stated that it was a common word that I didn't know. A reflection on my own ignorance, if you like...

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 14, 2021, 06:54:03 PM »
Hungarian John, ( i didn't feel comfortable calling you Jan, so i have nicknamed you H.J. ) there is no ignorance in not recognising a word which a lot of people would consider almost obsolete.
Redound is only familiar to me from many years of playing crosswords & various word games.
The entire concept of Alan's wonderful game is to increase ones vocabulary.
For a brief time, i tried making a list of common words that were not common to me but after a few days just threw it in the trash & now i purely rely on my memory, after all, how can you say that you know that word if you have to refer to a list or a dictionary to confirm it?

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2021, 08:04:14 PM »
Oh Les, you do bring up such a deliciously salient point.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2021, 02:01:01 PM »
Having achieved another rosette in yesterday's game, Mike has now matched his personal best of 5 in a row in 7BM.
Will he add to that tally today?

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2021, 02:23:31 PM »
YEAH !

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2021, 03:31:05 PM »
Indeed - seven in a row
 :D.

I have to admit though, that today's is probably one of the easiest 7-by-manys I've seen.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2021, 04:37:46 PM »
I have to admit though, that today's is probably one of the easiest 7-by-manys I've seen.

Thanks Mike ... that's a real boost to my confidence ... I'M STILL LOOKING FOR 5 WORDS, INCLUDING THE SEED WORD!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2021, 05:36:01 PM »
The seed word is probably the most difficult to find.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2021, 05:49:47 PM »
The seed word is probably the most difficult to find.

I found it as the first word once I'd searched for the single word with each starting letter (missing the Y though  :( )
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2021, 05:51:20 PM »
2 words to go at present - trying for my second (not in a row) rosette...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2021, 01:42:42 AM »
I found the seed word straightaway, for once! But had a few still to go (blinking y!). Then saw Mike’s post about it being one of the easier ones, and that encouraged me to look again. Thanks, Mike! And congratulations - such an impressive run of rosettes!

It’s worth persevering, folks!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2021, 02:26:59 PM »
Mike, i'm losing track, will that be 8 in a row if find you find another rose in today's game? ( i have a total of 8 for the entire year! )
Jack, is that your first rosette in the 7BM?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2021, 04:17:01 PM »
According to the statistics I got 9 in 2019, 7 in 2020 and 1 this year up to 31 July.  I thought I had one earlier this month but I might be thinking of the one before the end of July. I was surprised that I had got so many.  The last five I got in the one that closed today were imminent, eminent, effete, titty and entente.   I don't think I will petition Alan to make them rare just because I found them so hard to find. :D

I only got the last two because I asked June to tell me how many words started with each letter and, as I've said before, it becomes a lot easier to find a word when you are certain where one is hiding.
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2021, 05:55:29 PM »
Considering the limited number of 7BM games that you have played this year, i think that you have done very well to find that rosette in ( despite what Mike says ) what was a very tough game.
I missed femininity, eminent, fifteen & nineteen.
I found feminity early on which rather than being a big clue for the seed word just served to throw me right off track.
I thought of eminent but tried to spell it with 2 m's.
Even though i played fifty & ninety, i still missed fifteen & nineteen which was a bit disappointing.
I should have adhered to Jacki's advice which, if i recall correctly, was to think of plants, colours & NUMBERS.
Jack, i reckon that your quick return to notching a rosette has made Mike a little bit nervous as he currently sits one short of his eighth successive rosette although with plenty of time to go, i have no doubt that he will achieve that goal.
 So just to create some interest, perhaps a more realistic little bit of a harmless competition might be to see who is first to get their second rosette between you & RTT.