Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129526 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2021, 02:44:44 PM »
Oh, what a horrible set of letters today - I think my "penchant" is going to take a bit of a beating...

While John, myself & quite a few others struggled with that combination of letters, no such problem for Jan, Gareth,Maud & Rod who all collected brilliant rosettes.
However it was the score of ozzyjack that jumped off the page for me.
Jack, when you posted a high score a few days ago, i thought that it was just some kind of fluke but you have proven me wrong with another impressive total on the open scoreboard so ; I dips me lid to ya mate.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2021, 02:50:45 PM »
Mike got a rosette too, wearing his Dentarthurdent hat.

Thanks Rose, but i am already finding it hard enough to keep track of everyone as it is.
Mike, i am intrigued now, would you care to share why you have 2 registrations & why Dentarthurdent ?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2021, 03:01:51 PM »
In fact I only have one registered player name - mkenuk.
A few years ago, when I started playing Chi on a smartphone, I decided to use a different name, in case I did something daft and screwed up my regular name.
For a while I was 'klaatu' from 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' and later became 'dentarthurdent' the main character in 'Hitchhiker' which, I am sure everyone knows, is my favourite novel.
If I play at home on my computer I am 'mkenuk', with dentarthurdent taking over when I am not at home and have no 'real' internet access.

Arthur and his companions have landed on a strange planet; Arthur is approached by an old man. Their conversation goes something like this:
Slartibartfast: -Your friends are safe. You must come with me.
Arthur Dent - Who are you?
Slartibartfast: - My name's not important. You must come with me, you don't want to be late.
Arthur Dent: - Late for what?
Slartibartfast: - Well, like, um, what's your name?
Arthur Dent: - Dent. Arthur Dent.
Slartibartfast: - Well, late as in the *late* Dentarthurdent. It's a kind of threat.
Arthur Dent: = How can I come with you if I don't even know who you are?
Slartibartfast: - Well, um, my name is, um, it's
Slartibartfast:  -Slartibartfast.
Arthur Dent: -  What?
Slartibartfast: -I said it wasn't important.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:49:18 PM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2021, 03:16:18 PM »
Jack, when you posted a high score a few days ago, i thought that it was just some kind of fluke but you have proven me wrong with another impressive total on the open scoreboard so ; I dips me lid to ya mate.

I am glad you didn't publish my hit rate on either puzzle.  I had a bit more time during the lockdown and entered any likely combination of letters.  I wouldn't expect a repeat until the next lockdown. :D

Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2021, 05:18:53 PM »
While John, myself & quite a few others struggled with that combination of letters, no such problem for Jan, Gareth,Maud & Rod who all collected brilliant rosettes.
However it was the score of ozzyjack that jumped off the page for me.

Yes, well done, Jack.

While I thought that set of letters difficult, I did manage to get all but 4 of the commons - those being ALLAY, DRYLY (I had drily), LAIRD (which I should have got as I originally hail from Glasgow!) and TIDILY (I had tidally and tiddly).

As for my "penchant", I eventually had words for all letters other than "Y" which didn't have any words common or otherwise available for play.

I'm still waiting on my first rosette in the 7-by-many...

BTW. Did anyone else play RAILYARD??? I was very surprised when this came up as unknown...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2021, 05:38:16 PM »
I tried railyard.  I thought it was one of my more sensible “chances”
Regards, Jack

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2021, 06:48:00 PM »
I played RAILYARD too.
You are not alone.
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2021, 09:45:12 AM »
I didn’t even see railyard - just as well …

Stonking score today, too, Jack - well played!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2021, 12:22:45 PM »
I can tell you that from my experience in the industry the terms rail yard or railway yard were rarely used.
Any large marshalling or shunting depot was usually refereed to by their location such as Normanby Yard or Mayne Yard etc...
The term might be more commonly used by those not directly involved within the industry.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:35:24 PM by les303 »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2021, 02:01:24 PM »
Congratulations to Mike & Gareth on their rosettes.
Jack's newfound enthusiasm for the game, continues to be an inspiration.
I find it fascinating how much or how little time different players will spend on different games.
Of course we all have varying interruptions & distractions but for me, generally speaking, i know after about 20 minutes if i am any chance of gaining my set goals so this is when i look to my benchmark players for a bit of a guide.
Of course if i feel that a rosette or a maven are in sight then i may persist for hours.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2021, 02:23:51 PM »
I find it fascinating how much or how little time different players will spend on different games.
Of course we all have varying interruptions & distractions but for me, generally speaking, i know after about 20 minutes if i am any chance of gaining my set goals so this is when i look to my benchmark players for a bit of a guide.
Of course if i feel that a rosette or a maven are in sight then i may persist for hours.

I find I have one or another game open all day - dipping in and out. It's quite surprising how doing so can uncover words previously unseen...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 10, 2021, 02:24:09 PM »

The answer for me is generally more than I can afford.  Mostly I don't miss miss out because I don't know a word but because I don't see the obvious ones I do know.  For example today, I missed armada, rearmed and roomed. The first word I got was majordomo

If I spend enough time I can mostly get a respectable score, particularly, if I leave it and come back several times.  But I am slow compared to June.  On those occasions when I can get the same score as she does it takes me 2-3 times as long.  Mostly, I just give up.
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2021, 02:59:13 PM »
Les, you're on fire!!! 2:58pm AEST 61 and going strong...

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2021, 04:52:17 PM »
Yet Mike has found 3 more common words than i have.
And that only drives me to persist a bit longer to find a couple more of those common words which often leads me to stumbling across a lot of rare words which boosts my overall total & gives me a chance of achieving my secondary target which of course is the maven.

I just love the game for what it is but i am also an ultra competitive person & really enjoy the underlying " little battles " ​that you encounter along the way.
These " battles " may only be in my own mind & can be with anyone from anon to vizal & as i go word for word constantly changing position with my " opponent " it only serves to ultimately improve my game & it is all the more enjoyable if you are having such a battle with a forumite that you know, regardless of who happens to finish on top in any particular game, there is always next time & just how gratifying is it to be able to just occasionally finish in front of the game's creator.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2021, 02:02:21 PM »
So close for Mike... second on the closed scoreboard.