Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130665 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2021, 09:37:35 PM »
I think the most likely today would be 'Send in the paras!', using the abbreviated form

COD doesn't have 'paratroop', however I'm sure it can be used as an adjective as in ' .....serving in a paratroop regiment'.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2021, 08:27:58 AM »
Paratroops cost me a rosette too. Still, I got taproot this time round!

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2021, 08:33:24 AM »
Maud, you can look at the "  list by plays " which gives you a pretty a fair indication of which words were played early or which words were the hardest to find.
Bad luck on just missing out on that hat - trick.

I do look at that sometimes, and have the ‘counts’ button ticked. (Although when I first looked at “list by plays” I thought the list was in the order I played them - and for a moment my mind boggled at the idea I’d played them in the exact order of frequency. Then I realised …)

But I’d really like to see which words people see first and which are the last common words people find. I think there’s a great piece of research there in how people see patterns of letters. Of course, people who use their own quirky rules, like RTT, would buck the trend!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2021, 11:18:58 AM »
Paratroops cost me a rosette too. Still, I got taproot this time round!

I found it most unusual that this game featured 5 of the same letters that were used in the previous PORTRAYAL game which is why i was, every so subtly, trying to suggest that by viewing the solution of the previous game you would find several words (including taproot ) that were again available to be played in the POSTWAR game.

Maud, what does RTT stand for?

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2021, 12:24:35 PM »
Maud, what does RTT stand for?

I'll answer that Les - it's me RideTheTalk  ;D ;D ;D

...and the reference is to my penchant for trying to get a single [common] word for each letter in the puzzle before going hell for leather...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 12:49:26 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2021, 02:12:54 PM »
Of course, thanks for that, John.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2021, 02:16:42 PM »
Noooooo......I missed leveled....AGAIN!!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2021, 02:28:06 PM »
Fool me once ...

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »
I've just been having a look at the results from yesterday's game & it appears that there must be some sort of serious technical error as it shows ozzyjack not only collecting a maven but also going on to nudge past rogue mother on the scoreboard.

Seriously though, that was an outstanding effort Jack, on a par with Mike's brilliant rosette.
Honourable mentions must also go to John, Valerie, Les & Maud who all managed to achieve a maven.

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2021, 01:11:09 AM »

...and the reference is to my penchant for trying to get a single [common] word for each letter in the puzzle before going hell for leather...

I do that too! Not always (indeed it's sometimes impossible), but there is something immensely satisfying about having one word starting with each letter in the answers grid. ..

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2021, 02:00:29 PM »
I also try for food, plants, colours and numbers. Eleven was the last word I got the other day. But I agree, if there’s no words beginning with a particular letter it’s somewhere to focus on.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2021, 02:19:03 PM »
Oh, what a horrible set of letters today - I think my "penchant" is going to take a bit of a beating...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2021, 03:25:02 PM »
Once again there were several outstanding performances in yesterday's game with rogue mother, Jancsika, Maudland & Roddles all achieving rosettes.
dragonman also stood out as the only club member to manage a maven.
Most of us seemed to come up just a few words short of the ever elusive rosette.
I missed aurora & nougat ( actually thought of nougat but had no idea how to spell it).
As John points out, i think that most of us will struggle to do so well in today's game.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2021, 06:46:10 PM »
Mike got a rosette too, wearing his Dentarthurdent hat.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2021, 09:34:27 PM »
I missed aurora & nougat ( actually thought of nougat but had no idea how to spell it).

I missed AUGUR and ROTGUT
I also tried AUROR but I don't think that Harry Potter reference has made it into the OED yet...  :-P :-P :-P