Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129374 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2021, 04:36:20 PM »
Yes, Rogue Mother's vocabulary is quite amazing; I can usually keep pace with her on 'common words only', but not on 'all words'.

Of my other two 'benchmarks', Morbius doesn't play the 7-by-many and Old Paul doesn't often contribute to the forum.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 01:48:09 AM by mkenuk »

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2021, 12:58:56 AM »
Rogue Mother is awesome!

Thank you, Les, I tried really hard yesterday - determined to find those last few words for a rosette! 😅

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2021, 09:24:38 AM »
I am sure that i could guess one of the first words that you have found in the current game.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2021, 02:02:17 PM »
A big score by mkenuk on the "rare " scoreboard, not quite good enough to match rogue mother but at least he was on the same page which is more than the rest of us can say.
Just 2 rosettes found with Valerie leading the way, closely followed by Maudland who finds herself on a hat - trick again.
Maud, did you in fact find airplay very early on?
My play of the day goes to rogue mother who topped the rare scoreboard, collecting a maven in the process, a feat achieved by just 4 other players.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2021, 02:42:22 PM »
Just 3 short of a rosette for me with appal, circa and cyclically being the missing words for me.

Interesting that I had appall (rare) yet the definition for appal states that that is the less common spelling! Go figure!
Interesting also that I had cyclical yet missed cyclically! That is simply lack of attention to detail...  :-P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2021, 04:11:50 PM »
G'day John, i have to say that i have never seen appal spelt with 2 " l's " which is why i did not play appall at all.
Interesting to see as i type this that appal receives the dreaded red squiggly line but then so did spent ... i thought these bloody computers were supposed to be infallible!
Nothing more annoying than finding a difficult word like cyclical then failing to add the obvious suffix.

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »
I missed out on papaya. I was sure that I had entered it but I must have mistyped it or something.  I'll double-check in future!

Anyway, hands up who tried "crappily" before they found "capillary". I know I did!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2021, 04:39:12 PM »
G'day Jan, it was the first word that i tried, thinking great, i've found the big word straight off the bat but then it was just " oh, crap ".

My hit rate goes out the window when i am playing this game, i often have to attempt the same word several times before getting it right due to misspelling mistyping or a combination of both.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2021, 04:48:31 PM »
I wonder if Morbius would mind sharing with us just why it is that he chooses not to play this very addictive 7 by many game.

I did ask Jacki the same question & she explained that for her it was simply a case of time management & had absolutely nothing to do with concerns of not being able to keep up with her sister in law.

TRex, i do hope that your surgery went well & you were able to get back to work without any issues.
Might be a good time to re - register & play under your popular & very well respected, regular player name.

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2021, 06:20:30 PM »
The answer is simple, Les - I'm not very good at it!  I gave it a try a couple of times when it first started and did poorly in comparison to the other games.  In any case, three puzzles a day are enough to keep me amused.  I might try it again at some time in the future.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »
Actually I like the 7 by many. Now that I’m getting better at the games I might revisit it. You’re right about my sister-in-law being amazing. She really is so smart. And she gets rosettes like Rhino - extremely quickly!

When I’ve achieved the triple rosette in a day (not as often as I’d like but certainly more often than before) I’m finding myself lying in bed with words and letters just spinning round my head anyway so I might as well torture myself with a new game!

I’ll look at it again soon. In the meantime I like to read your words you miss out on and found, it’s exactly what I do too - the trials and tribulations of a Chi player.
On the appall one, I find I often miss install/instal.
And I realised a while ago that pressing on the meaning quite often just led you up a garden path!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 06:46:29 PM by Jacki »
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2021, 07:05:32 PM »
I missed out on papaya. I was sure that I had entered it but I must have mistyped it or something.  I'll double-check in future!

Anyway, hands up who tried "crappily" before they found "capillary". I know I did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzp6sAGz6NE
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2021, 12:32:02 AM »
🙋‍♀️ Me too!

And yes, I played airplay very early on, Officer Les. I tried it at least once more as well, to be on the safe side!

I’m sure that and a few others were easier to spot as they’d recently been in a game. Will I remember it in a month though? 🤔

I sat with one to find for ages. It was hours later, twirling the letters in my head while having a fag, that the last common one came to me - alpaca! I wish there was some way of knowing the order people found words in - even just the first and last - as well as the number of counts. But I think that might be a technological difficulty ..

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »
Returning to the issue of identifying mavens, etc, on the scoreboard, another option would be to display the information when the mouse pointer hovers over a player's name.

This would avoid ostentatiously displaying people's achievements, while still making the information available to anyone who's interested. This is easy to do for players using a computer, but would have to be adapted somehow for those using a touch screen device. This might not be a problem if Les is the only one who wants this feature, assuming he always plays Chi on a computer!

Regarding Morbius's suggestion of expanding the coverage of the player statistics, I see this as a separate issue. I wasn't keen when it was first suggested, because it seemed as though it would be quite complicated to implement, but I'll give it some further consideration.

As for the names of the levels, originally there were only three, and "Best" really was the best. Introducing two higher levels was part of the very first major upgrade to Chi, in 2005! Do we really want to throw away a venerable tradition dating back nearly 16 years (since before the birth of some recent Olympic medalists)?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »
Yes Alan, i do only play on the computer ( my vision these days is too poor to play on anything smaller ) so that solution would work for me but i have to say that i did prefer your earlier option with icons for each level that everyone can see at a glance.
To avoid cluttering on the scoreboard, my thought was that rather than accumulating multiple icons, as each new level is achieved then the previous icon disappears & is replaced with the higher level icon.
For example ; you reach a good score, you get an icon.
If you find the seed word you also get a star icon.
If you then achieve a better score, the good score icon is replaced with the better score icon etc...
If you then go on to achieve a rosette then the seed word icon & the best score icons disappear & only the rose is displayed as we all know that to achieve that rose you had to have passed all previous levels & found the common big word.
The only exception to this would be the maven which can of course be reached without finding all the common words, including the seed word.
I hope this idea makes some sense to you as it is not easy to put it in an email.
And given that multiple achievements are already highlighted on the scoreboard, i do not consider it at all ostentatious to ask for mavens to be included.