Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129494 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2021, 04:54:39 PM »
Jan, i share your sinking feeling as i did actually have a vague thought of souffle but with no idea of how to spell it, so after a couple of very poor attempts the light in the oven quickly went off.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2021, 09:21:51 AM »
I selflessly thought I’d leave the rosettes to others.
(Although, tbh, it had popped into my head, and I thought I’d played it. Bah. One of those days.)

I consider myself duly cautioned, Officer Les!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2021, 02:01:33 PM »
Trying to remember all of those potential add ons ; es, ies, ise, ness, less, est, iest, ent, ment, ism, ist etc...
No wonder that my head was spinning after that game.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »

Thanks for the compliment, Les.
Actually the game that gave me most satisfaction this week was 'populism'. I actually managed to finish third on the scoreboard - my highest ever placing in a 7-by- many.
[/quote]

Not after yesterday's game.
Mike, i reckon that it is only a matter of time before you will manage to top that scoreboard.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 09:39:44 AM by les303 »

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2021, 10:00:50 AM »
Extremely unlikely, Les.

That was a weird game - although there were only four rosettes (I believe an all-time low), I doubt if there was a single word on the 'common' list that anyone would have needed to look up the meaning of.

Success on the 7-by-many game seems to lie in being able to work your way round all the possible suffixes (and, to a lesser extent. prefixes) that the letters throw up.

I can do this - teaching the English language and the way it functions have been my life's work - but it does take time.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2021, 05:30:54 PM »
I have asked Alan a couple of times to find room on the scoreboard  to include a tiny little icon to highlight when a player has achieved a maven but he will not accommodate me, perhaps if a lot of players make the same request, then we may be able to wear him down with the weight of numbers.

As I think I've said before, if there was going to be an icon for Maven, there would have to be icons for the other five levels. When Les first suggested this I did look at something like ridethetalk's idea but I didn't like the look of it. Here are some possible symbols that could appear alongside a player's name:

Good
Better
Best
Maven
Cham

I'll try to mock something up to see how they would look on an actual scoreboard.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2021, 07:54:58 PM »
As I think I've said before, if there was going to be an icon for Maven, there would have to be icons for the other five levels. When Les first suggested this I did look at something like ridethetalk's idea but I didn't like the look of it. Here are some possible symbols that could appear alongside a player's name:

Good
Better
Best
Maven
Cham

I'll try to mock something up to see how they would look on an actual scoreboard.

Maybe something as simple as changing the colour of people's names on the scoreboard as they pass through the various levels...

You don't have to go making a lot of hard work for yourself Alan!
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2021, 07:20:02 AM »
I personally think that it would change the tenor of the game by overstressing the competitive side of it. There seem to be many different approaches to how people are enjoying the game, and many of them are not based on how many total words are found.

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2021, 08:24:28 AM »
I think Roddles makes a good point.  As an alternative (and I've suggested this before) perhaps the player stats could include the number of times players have reached each scoring milestone.  That way, those who strive for maximum word numbers can keep track of their performance, and those who don't can just ignore it.

And while we're considering scoring issues, I've never really liked the names of some of the scoring milestones.  For example, 'best' is only the third best level.  So it's not really 'best'.  Maven and Cham (presumably an abbreviation of champion) could perhaps be better described as Expert and Genius.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2021, 09:18:09 AM »
Thanks Alan.  I still like Expert and Genius better!  :)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »
Alan, you are an absolute champion, thank you so much for taking the time & effort to experiment with some changes to the scoreboard.
I am sure that whatever you come up with will be quite brilliant & if your final decision is to make no changes at all then that will be just as well received.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2021, 10:51:53 AM »
Alan, you are an absolute champion, thank you so much for taking the time & effort to experiment with some changes to the scoreboard.
I am sure that whatever you come up with will be quite brilliant & if your final decision is to make no changes at all then that will be just as well received.

Hear, hear! Sometimes the best change is no change but I am sure whatever you decide will be done with due consideration of all the pros and cons. Your provision of Lexigame free of charge has brought great joy (and needed distraction) to hundreds of people the world over. For that, I personally thank you, especially during these pandemic times...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2021, 11:24:06 AM »
In 'Much Ado About Nothing', Benedick asks Don Pedro for a task, anything at all, that will get him away from Beatrice

'Will your grace command me any service to the world’s end?
 I will go on the slightest errand now to the Antipodes that you can devise to send me on.
I will fetch you a toothpicker now from the furthest inch of Asia, bring you
the length of Prester John’s foot, fetch you a hair off the great Cham’s beard, do you any embassage to the Pygmies, rather than hold three words' conference with this harpy.
You have no employment for me?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 01:10:45 PM by mkenuk »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2021, 02:54:11 PM »
Just 10 rosettes in yesterday's game, with mkenuk & Maudland making that elite list.
rogue mother (as she often does ) topped the open scoreboard, collecting a maven along the way as did Maudland & Les303.
But i think that the play of the day should go to Maudland with both a maven & a rosette.