Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 129385 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2021, 09:08:35 AM »
Thanks Moyra, that makes me feel a little bit better as i also missed leveled.
Not the first & probably won't be the last time that i get caught out with an American spelling.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2021, 10:34:23 AM »
Blimey, not sure how often I’d score ‘best’ without including rare words. My aim, if I can’t get a rosette, is to exceed ‘best’ and have common words in single figures. But I go by the total score list when I’m looking at benchmark players.

This is my strategy as well! Though I also attempt, in the first instance (call me OCD), to get one word using unique first letters for all the individual letters in the puzzle (in alphabetical order - OCD again?) before going hell for leather...

That is very neat and even-handed - like a parent or teacher out to prove there are no favourites! I think it could prove disastrous for me - once a word’s popped into my mind, my brain seems to think it’s dealt with, so if I don’t write it down - poof! Gone!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 10:37:58 AM by Maudland »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2021, 02:02:23 PM »
Another tough game yesterday with a very short list of rosettes.
Maudland was our standout club member, being the only one to make that elite list.
Maud, that's 2 in a row, now the pressure is on to achieve the hat-trick so lets hope that all of those words keep popping into your mind.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2021, 05:49:38 PM »
Oh dear, i do hope that i have not put too much pressure on Maud & scared her off although i think that she is probably just keeping us all in suspense with a dramatic late entrance.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2021, 09:56:26 AM »
Haha - you’ve got to love a dramatic late entrance, surely? I wouldn’t hold my breath for a hat trick though!

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »
Les, you've raced to a rosette in this morning's standard! Well done!!!
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2021, 11:51:31 AM »
Bit better than yesterday's effort.
I only found veldt this morning with just a couple of minutes remaining before the game closed.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2021, 01:44:59 PM »
Here is a little bit of trivia which may surprise you ;
Confirmed by the man himself, TRex is a 7 by many player.
Being the perfectionist that he is, he chooses to play as anon while he works on improving his scores to meet his own very high standards.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2021, 02:03:17 PM »
I missed AGRARIAN and INFRINGING today but managed to squeak into maven territory which pleased me greatly.

For those in the club, it would be interesting to find out which words let you down...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2021, 02:06:30 PM »
Haha - you’ve got to love a dramatic late entrance, surely? I wouldn’t hold my breath for a hat trick though!

Great effort Maud, falling just 3 short.
Rod went even closer, missing out by just one word so unfortunately, there were no rosettes for the club yesterday.
I wonder if that was TRex that equalled Rod's score of 59 ?

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2021, 02:26:56 PM »
I missed AGRARIAN and INFRINGING today but managed to squeak into maven territory which pleased me greatly.

For those in the club, it would be interesting to find out which words let you down...

Sorry for not noticing or acknowledging the maven, it is always a hard target to achieve so very well done to you, John.
I have asked Alan a couple of times to find room on the scoreboard  to include a tiny little icon to highlight when a player has achieved a maven but he will not accommodate me, perhaps if a lot of players make the same request, then we may be able to wear him down with the weight of numbers.

I missed agrarian, forgoing & raffia .... the only one that i was annoyed with was " forgoing " , would never have found the other 2 in a hundred years.

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2021, 04:33:49 PM »
"Infringing" and "griffon". I knew about "griffin" and "gryphon" but "griffon" is a new one on me!

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2021, 04:37:31 PM »
Agrarian, griffon and infringing I will admit to. But I'm not telling anyone I missed onion, raring and rigor.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2021, 05:46:03 PM »
I received a personal message recently, asking how one becomes a member of the 7 by many club.
Anyone who is registered for the forum & has played the 7 by many game is automatically an honorary member of the club.
To become an official club member, all you have to do is post a comment in this thread.
 I post a comment / opinion each day when the game has closed on what i thought was a " special " performance that deserves recognition however i cannot possibly monitor everybody's performance without missing something so i encourage others to take the initiative & post their own highlights / comments / opinions from any particular game.
And do not be shy about telling us about your own " special " performance, it might be as simple as achieving your first " best score " , rosette, maven or perhaps even a cham & trophy or something like finally being able to match or even beat the likes of Mike, Maud, Rose, June, Alan, etc...on the scoreboard or even more likely you may prefer to just rubbish me & my comments & opinions.
Either way, it is all in good fun & i can think of no better way to distract ourselves from all of the negativity & limitations that have been imposed on our communities due to this bloody covid virus.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2021, 06:01:27 PM »
Agrarian, griffon and infringing I will admit to. But I'm not telling anyone I missed onion, raring and rigor.

Was it perhaps because ticklemonster was distracting you with a bit of a tickle.