Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 131043 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2021, 08:06:17 PM »
 ;)  :-P  :o  ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2021, 08:58:36 PM »
Congratulations Mike, that was an outstanding effort in yesterday's game.
I

Thanks for the compliment, Les.
Actually the game that gave me most satisfaction this week was 'populism'. I actually managed to finish third on the scoreboard - my highest ever placing in a 7-by- many.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »
One left - noooooo!

I think the 7 by many puzzles are so satisfying (and frustrating) because they have such a variety of words in - I found the ‘populism’ game a great challenge, too. It’s so pleasing when you get a tricky word. Yesterday’s with the 3 ‘big’ words - it was actually the more straightforward anagram, pelican, that took me the longest! Bah!

I must admit, rogue mother is a player whose score I always look at but never with any hope of reaching it … If I get around or between Rose and June, I’m happy!

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »
PS - Les, Maud is what my family call me, so either is fine  :)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »
Mike, so sorry that i failed to spot your excellent performance in the populism game.
No doubt you were sitting third on the scoreboard at some stage but i just revisited it and sorry to burst your bubble but by the time that the game closed you actually finished well outside of the top 30 on the scoreboard.
Anyway it is exactly these type of special efforts that i think deserve to be highlighted & acknowledged by your fellow players.
For example, in the current game, Ozzyjack is sitting on a score 62, one ahead of Ozzyjune ,  & Roddles.
With a couple of hours still to go before the game closes, one of you 3 & in particular June will surely remedy that situation.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2021, 11:52:26 AM »
Ah; I was going by the 'rare words not included' scoreboard;

Finish third on an 'all words included' board?
 Never in a month of Sundays!

:D

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2021, 12:02:59 PM »
I was forgetting about that other scoreboard.
I would prefer to say that you were in an 11 way tie for first.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2021, 12:03:57 PM »
Maud, i share your frustration when there is just one common word left to find.

Another aspect that is unique to the 7 by many game is the ability to find words containing a ridiculous amount letters such as sensuousnesses.
I think my personal record was either 16 or 18 letters but i cannot remember what the words were, can anybody else remember playing these big words?

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
Since Mike has reminded me of the " rare words not included " scoreboard, i have set myself a new challenge to make the top ten on that list however my glaring lack of rosettes might be a problem & even when i do manage one it generally takes me a very long time to find so it probably wont be happening any time soon.

Rose,  i note that along with several other club members, you finished in first place albeit in a 17 way tie or as Mike prefers to interpret that scoreboard, you were fifth fastest to get a rosette.
Is that your best result to date or does Mike have you trumped with his recent third place finish or is there another club member who can top that?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:10:23 PM by les303 »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2021, 05:57:08 PM »
G'day John, you set another impressive total for me to chase in today's challenge game & once again, i was not up to the task, so well done to you.
Thanks to Mike reminding me about the other scoreboard, i can at least take some solace from the fact that i was able to match your score on that one.
Do you have a regular time that you normally start playing the challenge game as i think it would be a bit of fun to go head to head?

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2021, 06:58:13 PM »
Hi Les

Like Mike, I only look at the 'common words' scoreboard.

I also don't worry about the order in achieving a rosette, since I sometimes don't get to start playing until well after the puzzle opens.

However, if I do start on time, I'm often one of the first to get to a high score (I can type and mouse fairly quickly – hey, did I just invent a new verb?) but then I usually get overtaken by the likes of Sir Bidoof and guyd as I struggle – and often fail – to find the last few words.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2021, 07:17:38 PM »
 I type & mouse very, very, very slowly & badly, most annoying in the challenge games when i am trying to keep an eye on my hit rate, only to spoil it with a careless typo.

You just have to admire the brilliant efforts of both Sir Bidoof and guyd , they consistently lead both scoreboards & i'm certain that they do it without any assistance from any of those computer generated anagram solver thingies.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2021, 09:50:31 PM »
I may be way off the mark but my guess would be that the small group of names that we usually see at the top of the 7-by-many boards (Bidoof, Garebear, Emeraldgirl etc) are a group of players networked together in a school, college or office who pool their resources and share their answers.
Nothing wrong with that of course - many players work in pairs, including Vizal themselves!

;D

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2021, 01:03:23 AM »
G'day John, you set another impressive total for me to chase in today's challenge game & once again, i was not up to the task, so well done to you.
Thanks to Mike reminding me about the other scoreboard, i can at least take some solace from the fact that i was able to match your score on that one.
Do you have a regular time that you normally start playing the challenge game as i think it would be a bit of fun to go head to head?

I've just worked out how to access those scores. It's rather enlightening, isn't it...  ;D

As for regular times, covid has completely stuffed up my body clock and I can be found up at all hours. I often go to bed after 1am - not often after 2am though which is when the challenge changes over for me. As I go late to bed, I'm also a late riser. Chi is one of my first stops when I get the 'puter going again.

Probably around 10:30-11am Melbourne time.
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2021, 01:14:14 AM »
I only pay attention to the common words list.

In fact, my aim every day is to get a rosette with 0 mistakes and 0 rare words. I've only ever achieved it once so far, so it's actually quite tricky, for me at least!