Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130608 times)

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »
Well done, Rose. You have inspired me to continue looking for that last word!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 08:23:24 PM »
Moyra I have thought about the notepad beside the bed but didn’t want to wake my husband. It’s funny, when I do  achieve the triple rosette in a day, which doesn’t happen as often as I like but happens way more than five years ago when I first played, I kinda feel at a loss. My brain will go to chew on the problem and then it’ll relax cause there’s no lingering last common word to find.
I remember when my sister-in-law, Doxydaisy came to stay with me and introduced me to Chi on Sept 7 2016, I watched in amazement as she fired off so many words in the first puzzle I played.
I thought I was pretty good, having played the Sydney Morning Herald’s puzzle for years.
I had no idea!!
And I so enjoy the mostly good-hearted camaraderie of the players. I think people who enjoy words and word puzzles and grammar and spelling and reading are dwindling and I for one are so glad that Doxydaisy introduced me to this quirky, friendly and hilarious community.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »
I am not sure which is more frustrating & annoying ;
Viewing the solution to find that you have missed a rosette because you failed to play a " simple " word that you have played a thousand times before or viewing the solution to find that the last " common " word, which you have spent way too long looking for, is so obscure that you would never have found it in a thousand years.

I'm so with you on this Les...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 02:06:39 PM »
So...should I be upset at missing my 4th rosette on a word like solipsism?  I've never heard of it! I guess I can still get 4 from 4 if I get a rosette in today's 7-by-many by 6pm!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 04:02:37 PM »
Yes Moyra, i definitely think that you are entitled to feel a little bit upset as that is exactly one of the scenarios that i was referring to.
So, are you going to suggest to Alan that  solipsism should be made rare ?

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 04:22:04 PM »
Yes Moyra, i definitely think that you are entitled to feel a little bit upset as that is exactly one of the scenarios that i was referring to.
So, are you going to suggest to Alan that  solipsism should be made rare ?

Unfortunately, Les, solipsism is neither rare nor getting rarer... :p
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 04:34:16 PM »
Someone apparently said in a letter to Bertrand Russell:

"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."

:)

(For the record, I  was quite chuffed to find "solipsism", but was denied a rosette by "lollipop" for the second time in a couple of weeks!)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 04:48:36 PM »

(For the record, I  was quite chuffed to find "solipsism", but was denied a rosette by "lollipop" for the second time in a couple of weeks!)

No lollipop for you then...  :D

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 04:58:13 PM »
Yay...I have my 4 from 4! I won't be asking for a reclassification of THAT WORD, I'll just try to remember it for the next time.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2021, 05:27:45 PM »
Well done Moyra, that is an extraordinary effort.
I am happy if i can manage 4 rosettes in a week.
And in hindsight, i think that it is fair enough that solipsism should remain common.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 05:42:18 PM »
I am afraid that my 3.30pm game review is running a bit late this afternoon as i keep getting interrupted so i am not committing to any particular time for future game reviews.
Anyway, as i have already said, i thought that yesterday's game was a particularly difficult one so it was pleasing to see that we all managed to pass the " best " target which was no easy task.
I am sure that Stanley, Michael & John will all agree & concede that their end results were a little below their normally higher standards.
As for myself, i became so confused with that combination of letters that i thought for a moment that i was playing pontoon so i decided to stick on 21.
Jack must get a mention for his impressive 23 but of course he was still one step behind June.
Moyra found the most words of our little group but could not get that rosette, falling victim to the obscure/common word scenario.
Mike & Valerie did yet again what Mike & Valerie do & that is to consistently find rosettes & set the benchmark for us all to aspire to.
But i reckon that the play of the day must go to Rose.
Initially despondent because just about everybody but her had found the seed word, she did not give up & returned to the game to not only find that big word but also record a rosette.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2021, 06:24:53 PM »

That made me smile, jancsika.
I did play lollipop but only because i remembered missing it recently.
I must offer you a belated welcome to the forum & encourage you to keep contributing.
What's your name?
If you prefer not to reveal, then i will just refer to you as jan.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2021, 06:59:31 PM »
I’m surrounded by solipsists and Islands in the Stream keeps running through my head!
I had a bit of a giggle reading a quote by George Best, a Northern Island professional footballer who spent most of his career at Manchester United, who was asked how he managed to spend all of his fortune. He said, “I spent most of it on booze, birds and cars and the rest I just squandered.” 
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2021, 10:04:28 AM »
That’s a great quote!
Took me ages to find the word yesterday, too …

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2021, 05:14:25 PM »
I also like that classic quote.. it is exactly the way that i would go if i ever won the lotto.