Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130627 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
7 by many club
« on: July 21, 2021, 03:53:47 PM »
In recent weeks there have been quite a few personal messages exchanged by several forumites about the 7 by many game.
So just because i can & also because i thought that it might be a bit of fun, i have decided to create this thread which is dedicated to players of the increasingly popular " 7 by many " game.

OF COURSE, AS ALWAYS, PLEASE BE MINDFUL NOT TO MENTION ANY SPOILERS IN YOUR COMMENTS ON AN OPEN GAME.

I will start the conversation by congratulating yelnats  (Stanely ) on his rosette in yesterday's game, hopefully no one noticed that he also surpassed my score by two.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:55:38 PM by les303 »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 04:32:03 PM »
I am finding today's game very enjoyable & at the same time very frustrating.
In my vain efforts to catch one of my benchmark players, blackrockrose (Rose) all i can manage to do is to find words that i have already played.
My only consolation is that i am at least currently ahead of my other benchmark players, ozzyjune ( June ) & yelnats ( Stanely ).
I must congratulate Rose on her impressive total which has her currently sitting in a comfortable third position on the scoreboard.
However i also notice that my other benchmark player, mkenuk ( Mike ) is yet to make an appearance so don't get to comfortable, Rose.
And of course we never know when ozzyjack ( Jack ) will pull out an impressive performance from you know where.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 04:55:13 PM by les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 04:42:28 PM »
Not tonight Lse, I only have ten toes and fingers, so I can only count to 21. >:D
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 04:53:31 PM »
Enjoy the dog training tonight & please tell me that you have finally pulled the " trakky daks " out of hibernation to combat this chilly wind.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 08:11:31 PM »
I play 7 by many every day as well as 2 personal which come from the 2 local Melbourne dailies.

In 7 by many I "compete" with my 2 sisters and sometimes great niece (not so great when she beats me which is too often).  I consider it a good day if I get within a bull's roar of you Les!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 09:55:41 AM »
For me, friendly competition only increases my enjoyment of the game.
The little group that i like to " compete " with are all very competent players & our " order of merit " constantly changes from one game to the next with the ultimate result being that, over time, all of our performances are enhanced.

I find it intriguing that some players that are scoring regularly in the top 20 & achieving rosettes consistently do not perform quite as well in the other standard games & just as often, that scenario is totally reversed.
I guess it is just a case of " different strokes for different folks ".

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »
Hi Les. My scores vary quite a lot because of my level of commitment. I tend to spend a lot less time on the challenge and 10 letter games, often happy to stop with the discovery of the seed word. Sometimes it's just a 2 minute visit! I enjoy the 7 letter game and play it solo...sometimes I even find a lot of the words. Matt and I "compare and share" on the regular puzzle...hence the frequent rosettes. I like to watch the scoreboard and see how the other regulars are doing, but Ticklemonster couldn't care less!!
All in all, I'm glad I found Chi...the games and the forum.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 12:10:24 PM »
Hi Les - even though I don’t play the 7 by many I know what you mean about friendly competition. My husband says I don’t play games for fun, but you know what? I do, but I like to play with others who care and who try.
I stopped playing the 7 by many because the other three puzzles pretty much take up most of my day and night - I go to sleep with words spinning around my head. Quite often I think of a word in the middle of the night and hope I’ll remember it in the morning!
If I’m struggling to find that elusive last word or three I’ll check my benchmark players and see if they have a rosette. Lately I’ve missed a few - some I never would have found like desmesne and some I could kick myself for like linger!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 12:14:17 PM by Jacki »
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 12:27:26 PM »
Jacki....you need to up your level of commitment....a pen & paper on the bedside table for those dreamtime revelations  :-Z :-Z
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 01:31:02 PM »
Or perhaps take a leaf out of the playbook of whiskey ( Michael ).
I believe that he likes to set himself a time limit of just 10 minutes to find as many words as he can.

I am not sure which is more frustrating & annoying ;
Viewing the solution to find that you have missed a rosette because you failed to play a " simple " word that you have played a thousand times before or viewing the solution to find that the last " common " word, which you have spent way too long looking for, is so obscure that you would never have found it in a thousand years.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 02:41:40 PM »
Wow, that is a really tough game today.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »
Apparently not for auntiemo ( Moyra ) who has posted a very impressive score.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 04:07:31 PM »
And how about Valerie (Valerie ) with a rosette, thank you very much.
At this point the only other player to attain a rosette is guyd ( i do not know who guyd is or if he follows the forum )

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 04:36:54 PM »
Feeling very silly at this point, because everyone above me on the scoreboard, and a great many below me, have the seed word, which is eluding me.

Going to come back later, and hope it leaps out at me  ???

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 05:16:02 PM »
Rose, that is certainly nothing to feel silly about.
I am sure that all players have had a similar experience at some time.
Taking a break & then returning to the game later is probably a good idea as you never now what might pop up.
Mike regularly uses this strategy with a lot of success.
It does not work so well for me because when i return to the game i can usually only find those words that i have already played, occasionally i can find a couple more but generally my preferred strategy is just to persevere at the first attempt.

Starting tomorrow, i will stop making comments on the current 7 by many game until it has closed.
Instead i will make a daily post at around 3.30pm offering my opinions, kudos or otherwise of the previous game.