Author Topic: 7 by many club  (Read 130576 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: 7 by many club
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »
I have asked Alan a couple of times to find room on the scoreboard  to include a tiny little icon to highlight when a player has achieved a maven but he will not accommodate me, perhaps if a lot of players make the same request, then we may be able to wear him down with the weight of numbers.

I missed agrarian, forgoing & raffia .... the only one that i was annoyed with was " forgoing " , would never have found the other 2 in a hundred years.

Could there be the possibility of a change in colour at the boundaries on the scoreboard? Also, something else occurs to me (just to add to Alan's burden) if you turn off rare words (great feature!) can a series of common word GOOD|BETTER|BEST|MAVEN|CHAMPION breakpoints be added?

Just throwing it out there...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2021, 08:23:57 PM »
Poor Alan.
I love the games and am grateful for the amazing job he does (and has done). I'm happy to just go along with whatever Alan decides to do with this website....although I may have commented on a common/rare word issue  ???
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »
Congratulations to the maven scorers - mighty!

I missed griffon too (would never have thought of that) but also ingrain, which my phone tried to change to I train, and - ahem - again! 😳

Hope today’s is a shorter one.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »
What a nasty combination of letters we had to deal with yesterday.
None the less, there were still some outstanding efforts.
mkenuk bounced back into form with a brilliant rosette while Valerie & rogue mother picked up mavens on their way to topping the open scoreboard.
auntiemo, Maudland & Roddles were all also able to achieve a maven. ( Wouldn't it be nice if those mavens were rewarded with a little icon on the scoreboard ! )
But the play of the day for me was produced by ozzyjack who managed to get one over me on the scoreboard although i notice that he was still unable to beat ozzyjune.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:54:33 PM by les303 »

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2021, 02:30:53 PM »
Papyri and palmy......
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2021, 03:42:45 PM »
Papyri (hats off to anyone who got that) and airplay.  Seeing as these were the two lowest scoring common words l don't feel too bad!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »
A bad day at the office for me.
I missed allay & apiary ( both of which i should have found ) also missed palmy, papyri & primly.

Just exemplifies what a great effort it was by Mike to get a rosette in such a difficult game.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2021, 04:01:08 PM »
I got it by a fluke - I had a feeling that there might be an adjective papyral (there isn't!) but I was checking the entry for papyrus in COD when I happened to see papyri.

Certainly not common, but as with so many oddities that crop up in 7-by-many games, it's probably never appeared before and consequently has never been queried.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2021, 07:57:42 PM »
A bad day at the office for me.
I missed allay & apiary ( both of which i should have found ) also missed palmy, papyri & primly.

I had allay, apiary, palmy, and primly but was still one behind you Les.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2021, 08:54:59 AM »
It's a weird & wonderful game. Stan.
You did finish one in front of me on the " no rares " scoreboard.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 11:28:09 AM by les303 »

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2021, 10:59:20 AM »
Y is my nemesis letter. Always a struggle. Airplay was my downfall. I tried so many ‘ily’ words trying to find that last elusive one that my score, by chance, wasn’t too shabby - but my % took a hit.
What are the letters that make your heart sink?

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2021, 11:00:50 AM »
Mike, you should get double brownie points for that rosette!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2021, 12:29:49 PM »
I only found airplay because i remembered missing it in previous games so you are on notice Maud, i'll be watching to make sure that you play it next time it appears. :police:
I am usually happy to see an " e " appear in any game but not in an " ily " game as it can become very tricky, particularly if you are worried about your hit rate.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2021, 01:31:04 PM »

What are the letters that make your heart sink?

It's a bit like Scrabble - you need a nice balance between vowels and consonants.

I always wince a little when there is either an 're-' or an '-ly' in the game because I know that so many 'good' words, that should be playable, are going to get 'sorry, not known' !!

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2021, 02:56:28 PM »
I missed a rosette by one word yesterday. I got that collapsed soufflé feeling when I found out why...