rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Plural?
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:29:20 PM »
Hi,

A word that could have been made from yesterday's Standard puzzle - leaves. While the argument could be made that this word should not be allowed because it is just adding an 's' to 'leave', it is also the plural of 'leaf', i.e. a perfectly valid word.

Happy pondering ... I'll leave you to it!

Rhino
Obsessive rhinophile

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: Plural?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 08:17:01 PM »
I'll leave this one alone

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 10:40:21 PM »
Cat, meet pigeon...    :-P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 12:27:06 PM »
The pigeons fight back.

I think leaves should be allowed as a common word.
I think all such irregular plurals should be allowed, regardless of whether there is a 'clash' with another word.

I believe that halves (two equal parts of something) is a common word in Chi.
However halves is also the third-person singular form of the verb to halve (to cut or divide something in two equal parts )

The argument is that in this particular case the noun is 'more common' than the verb, but it seems to me that this might be considered a bit arbitrary.

jancsika

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 09:50:08 PM »
There was one such case where I entered "impresses" and I was somewhat surprised to see it was not accepted. I subsequently learned that there is an archaic word "impresse" whose plural is also "impresses". In this case where one word us "common " and the other is "rare" then it isn't really so arbitrary....

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 09:11:49 AM »
Indeed; I was one of those who missed out on impresses;
The only dictionary that I could see with impresse was Wiktionary, which labels it 'obsolete'. Obsolete!! It's not even a 'real' word any more! It should probably be removed from the Chi lexicon completely, but I seem to remember Alan saying at one time that this is very difficult to do.
We can just hope that impresses doesn't appear very often.

Anyway, I stand by my suggestion that irregular plurals such as leaves should be allowed.
impresses is not an irregular plural - it's a perfectly regular inflected verb.