Author Topic: Word question/suggestion  (Read 3705 times)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Word question/suggestion
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 04:47:12 PM »
The word, in either sense, seems to be used mainly in North America. It will be accepted in Chi from now on, as a rare word.

For what it's worth, I had never seen/heard the word barback until it was brought up in this thread. Sigh...my hanging-out-in-bars days are long behind me. I wonder how common it is here in North America. Maybe a regional term?

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
Re: Word question/suggestion
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 06:11:03 PM »
Another problem with making the word database public will be its sheer size.

That database probably contains over 100,000 words (Alan of course will have the precise numbers, and a simple SQL query will return the number in milliseconds), and anyone thinking that using this will be an easy cheat is in for a surprise as a result!

It would probably be quicker to try to find the words you're looking for through honest brainwork, than manually scanning a 100,000 word plus database!

Of course, someone like me could probably write a JavaScript page to find all the solutions by tapping into that database, but it would take weeks to write and debug, and I'd lose the satisfaction of finding the answers via honest effort to boot!

A matter made worse by the fact that I would also need to write a PHP back end, with code connecting that back end to an SQL database (plus the SQL query code I'd have to write from scratch to interrogate the database), and that project would quickly become a year long development and debugging endeavour.

Quite simply, I have other uses for the time. :)
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...