Author Topic: June 14 Standard puzzle  (Read 1095 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
June 14 Standard puzzle
« on: June 14, 2021, 03:11:13 PM »
Without giving away the seed word, I would like to suggest that this seed word gets demoted to rare...

Just sayin'

2021/08/18 - even though I authored this, I had forgotten what 'the' word was...

...it was INERTNESS
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 02:41:46 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Greynomad

• Logologist
    • View Profile
Re: June 14 Standard puzzle
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 07:48:08 PM »
Seems fine to me. Over 200 have found it with 12 hours to go.

In fact less have found the Challenge word, which I found easier.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 10:34:08 PM »
For me, i had little trouble finding the seed word in the standard game, once you play the first half of the word then the rest is pretty obvious.
I do admit that it took me quite a while to find the seed word in the challenge game but once found, i was puzzled as to why it had taken me so long to find it.
I appreciate that a lot of players main goal in any game is to achieve the seed word,
My approach is a little bit different.
When i cannot quickly identify the the " big word " then i just forget about it for a while & concentrate on finding smaller words.
Quite often one of those smaller words will flick the switch to find that " big word " that i had almost forgot that i was even looking for.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 08:16:10 AM »
I play the same way, actually I quite like it when the seed word takes me a while to find. It keeps it interesting. In fact the other day I got every common word except the seed word in the ten letter - it must have been more than six days ago cause I can’t find the puzzle with it in, and I can’t remember what it was - it’s the early Alzheimer’s I suppose!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:51:57 AM »
It isn't the difficulty in finding the word that I am complaining about. I did find it, obviously, but I contend that the word is not in common usage...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »
It isn't the difficulty in finding the word that I am complaining about. I did find it, obviously, but I contend that the word is not in common usage...

Ditto from me. When I got the word, I said to my much better half, 'That's a common word?' without giving it away. When we compared, her reaction was similar.

Common in the sense of easily understandable. But when is the last time anyone here used inertness in a sentence?

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 10:30:50 AM »
Common in the sense of easily understandable. But when is the last time anyone here used inertness in a sentence?

Quite so...

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »
It is certainly a valid word - it's in the COD and, I'm sure, most other dictionaries. I'm not sure that that is always true of some of the inflected forms that appear as 'common'. I still remember querying ornerier a few years ago!!

Perhaps inertia is more common, but I tend to think of that word being used mainly in a scientific sense.

Remembering that in Chi, 'common' is usually taken to mean 'familiar to an educated, adult native speaker of English' I can't really see how inertness can be anything but common.

I wonder, if the word were to appear in a 10-letter game ('trendiness'. perhaps), would its common status be queried? I suspect not.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:58:40 AM by mkenuk »

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 11:32:45 AM »
Perhaps inertia is more common, but I tend to think of that word being used mainly in a scientific sense.

All too often used in business-speak.  :(

Remembering that in Chi, 'common' is usually taken to mean 'familiar to an educated, adult native speaker of English' I can't really see how inertness can be anything but common.

IMNSHO, this doesn't seem to apply as much as it once did as attested by changes in the status of dunned, dunning, mooting, luau, staph, tamale, auricle, lapin, tattooer, termini, rime, gladiola, gerund, kith, octal, orate, collocate, parolee, outdraw, outdrew, nonet, limn, limned, fain, loosed, loosing, sonatina, educe, educed, osculate, confute, confuted, angstrom, centavo, demotic, irenic, oldster, neonate, legato — and a whole lot more. Is, for instance, oldster NOT 'familiar to an educated, adult native speaker of English'???

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 12:30:11 PM »
A motley collection of words, indeed, TRex. They include non-English words (luau, tamale ), abbreviations (staph), 'scientific' terms (angstrom, octal), classical plurals ( termini, gladiola) and many others. One doesn't really need to ask why such words were reclassified.
For myself, I had no idea what luau or tamale meant when I first encountered them - ('common' words that I had missed in a Chi game).

Look no further than the COD definition to see why oldster should not be common - Informal, chiefly Nth American - an older person.
Easy enough to work out what it means if I come across it in a novel, but I would certainly not consider it part of my active vocabulary; oldie, perhaps, or wrinkly would be much more common in UK.

I have no scientific or statistical evidence to support this, it is merely a hypothesis, but I suspect that when we play Chi we are, at least at first, looking for words that are part of our active vocabulary.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 03:43:49 PM by mkenuk »

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 01:44:05 AM »
I have no scientific or statistical evidence to support this, it is merely a hypothesis, but I suspect that when we play Chi we are, at least at first, looking for words that are part of our active vocabulary.

Which is why I wrote:

ISTM 'familiar to an educated, adult native speaker of English' and 'words that are a part of our active vocabulary' are not the same.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 02:05:29 AM »

There are lots of common  Chi words that I've never used in a sentence!

Greynomad

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 10:16:37 AM »

Quite so...

Probably about the same time I used Seditious

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 10:26:44 AM »
Unfortunately, the word seditious has become much more used in the U.S.A. since the sixth of January.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 10:40:26 AM »
Unfortunately, the word seditious has become much more used in the U.S.A. since the sixth of January.

A good article that addresses the point and also discusses the changing meaning of treason over time
Regards, Jack