Author Topic: deliria common?  (Read 554 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
deliria common?
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »
The only word I missed was deliria — definitely not a word which made me slap myself; rather, my reaction was huh? Only played by 23 of 409 players (5.6%). Surely a word to be relegated to the rare list!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: deliria common?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 12:10:11 PM »
I agree with TRex.
I am regrettably all too familiar with the terms, dementia & delirium but have never heard of deliria.
Some what ironic that one of the reasons we play Chi is to hopefully ward off attaining any of these insidious conditions.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 02:20:51 PM »
Indeed...

I was pleasantly surprised when I played it, as it was my last "common" word!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:31:39 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 05:28:05 PM »
Apparently playing the same game doesn’t help ward off dementia - sorry to be the bearer of bad news - you need to play new games that challenge your brain.
But it’s still heaps of fun and I’ve been half gaga for years anyway - according to my dear husband.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 11:41:32 PM »
Dear Lady Gaga,
All of the advice that i have read is that the best way to ward of dementia is to keep the mind active.
Sorry Jacki but i must disagree with your assertion that playing the same game repeatedly is of little benefit.
It might be a cryptic crossword puzzle, a rebus, chi, sudoku or scrabble but while you are playing the same type of game over & over again every new game has a different solution & a new challenge.
I do agree that expanding your range of games can only be beneficial.
The bad news for your dear husband is that he has no option & is locked in permanently to his game of choice.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 08:10:49 AM »
My first belly laugh for the day. Well I’m only going on a report I read that said that playing the same game doesn’t keep it active, it’s playing different sorts of games with new challenges. But it’s better than nothing. When you think about it most of the time we’re just playing to find a couple of common words, the rest we do from rote eg siren, rinse, resin and risen. But I’m not saying it has no benefit. There’s the wonderful banter and camaraderie. Sincerely Lady Gaga
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 05:18:49 PM »
Getting back to the original issue - I agree that deliria is not really a common word.

Delirium is not often pluralized, but when it is, the standard plural form deliriums seems to be more often used. An example of someone using deliria was on an LSE blog in April 2020: "...many prefer to trust the authority of science instead of following the president’s deliria." In this case the president in question was Brazil's Bolsonaro.

Deliria will be treated as a rare word from now on.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites