Author Topic: 12th June Standard RESONATOR puzzle  (Read 1356 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
12th June Standard RESONATOR puzzle
« on: June 13, 2021, 02:17:15 PM »
A few concerns with this one:

OSTEO - not known; try telling that to mine!  ;D

RONA – come on now, everyone’s been captivated by the rona… 😊

RORT – lots of political rorts going on – quite ‘common’, unfortunately
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: 12th June Standard RESONATOR puzzle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 03:45:08 PM »
I thought that rort might have been accepted as rare.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 04:42:54 PM »
I thought that rort might have been accepted as rare.

It was.  Alan has discussed before why it is not common.
Regards, Jack

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 10:25:09 PM »
Rort, for mine, should definitely be classed as common.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 10:30:23 PM »
Rort, for mine, should definitely be classed as common.

Words that are commonly known in only one part of the world tend to be classed as rare. As rort is an Australian word (and certainly not a word I'm familiar with) I think its present classification is correct.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 10:56:42 PM »
Rort?  Never heard of it.  Rought not to be a common word, surely?!  >:D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 04:36:21 PM »
Rort has been raised a few times. It is a word used almost exclusively down under, so that's why it's not common.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 01:42:16 PM »
What about ridethetalk's suggestion of rona?

This contraction bobbed its head up quite early. In April 2020 a PC Gamer editor reported

Here in Australia people are calling isolation "iso" and coronavirus "the rona" because there's nothing we won't abbreviate.

In September 2020 psychologist Roger J Kreutz had an article in The Conversation, "How COVID-19 is changing the English language". Discussing the OED's updates to incorporate Covid-related words and phrases, he noted that:

"Rona" or "the rona" as slang for coronavirus has been observed in the U.S. and Australia, but the dictionary editors haven't documented wide enough usage to warrant its inclusion.

Rona is still absent from the OED, but Dictionary.com and Wiktionary have both added it. The Wiktionary entry gives several usage examples, from March 2020 onwards. From my own scanning of newspaper usage, it seems the word is most often written with an apostrophe at the beginning. However the apostrophe is not always used.

We could ask, as perhaps the lexicographers at the OED did, whether this colloquial term might prove to be ephemeral, but our Chi lexicon already includes plenty of dated colloquialisms. And the word has already found its way into one or two book titles, such as The Rona: A True Story about Getting Covid 19 (2021), by Asha V Ntim.

I'll add rona as a rare word.
Alan Walker

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 05:09:22 PM »
I haven`t heard `rona but then I`ve been locked up/down for the last 12+ months!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 05:10:53 PM by yelnats »

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 11:23:17 PM »
Thanks for the rona, Alan  ;)

Now how about giving my osteo a go, especially if you have a bad back...  ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 03:00:21 PM »
For those who are wondering, osteo is a colloquial term for osteopath or osteopathy.

The word seems to be mainly used in Australia. The only dictionary I can find it in is the Australian Macquarie Dictionary. (Wiktionary lists osteo, but with a different meaning - an informal term for osteomyelitis.)

Similar words are chiro (chiropractor) and physio (physiotherapist), but these are apparently fairly well known in the UK, and are listed in a few dictionaries. Both these words are accepted in Chihuahua.

I believe I first heard of osteopaths as a youngster, when the news coverage of the Profumo scandal identified Steven Ward as a "society osteopath"

Despite osteo not being recognized by any dictionary published outside Australia, the word is sometimes used in Britain. A 2002 Guardian article about osteopathy as a career put osteo in quotes the first time it was used, but then used the word freely throughout the article: "Most osteos earn between £20,000 and £40,000, depending on hours worked..." And the shortening is also used by members of the profession in Britain. The Ebrook Osteopathy and Sports Clinic has an article on "An Osteo's Guide to Breastfeeding".

So I will accept osteo as a rare word.
Alan Walker

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 07:19:39 PM »
I can vaguely remember when I was about nine or ten years old, seeing somebody regularly visiting one of our neighbours.
Being a nosey kind of kid, I asked who he was and I was told that he was 'a bonesetter'! I don't think the word 'osteopath' had made it to our neck of the woods at that time.

For whatever reason that word 'bonesetter' gave me awful visions of somebody having his bones removed from his body and reassembled like a jigsaw.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:53:10 AM by mkenuk »

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 07:57:28 PM »
I can vaguely remember when I was about nine or ten years seeing somebody regularly visiting one of our neighbours.
Being a nosey kind of kid, I asked who he was and I was told that he was 'a bonesetter'! I don't think the word 'osteopath' had made it to our neck of the woods at that time.

For whatever reason that word 'bonesetter' gave me awful visions of somebody having his bones removed from his body and reassembled like a jigsaw.

Eeew! That's really quite a gruesome imagination you have Mike...

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 10:40:48 AM »
stereo, physio, chiro, and now osteo. I can live with all of those.

Maybe the 'Financial Times' has suggested another '-o'  word in its headline today - crypto referring to 'crypto-currencies' such as bitcoin
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:43:10 AM by mkenuk »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 04:01:10 PM »
All of these " o " words are driving me a bit psycho.