Author Topic: Word question/suggestion  (Read 254 times)

KatKall

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Word question/suggestion
« on: June 18, 2021, 07:21:38 AM »
Hello,

I have noticed lately that words like “Latina” and “Latino” are accepted, but “Latin” is not . Likewise, “Satanic” is accepted, while “Satan” is not. It’s a bit confusing what the distinction is, and also what proper nouns are accepted. For example, the 7-by-many puzzle will accept the names of various currencies (such as “Ruble” or “Rupee”), but it does not allow for names of certain countries. This is a little confusing and is affecting my “hit percentage.” If anyone can explain the logic and/or clarify why some of these words are allowed, but others are not, it would be appreciated.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Word question/suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 03:15:07 PM »
Hello, KatKall. Welcome to our forum. As the person running the Chihuahua site, I'll try to answer your question.

The rule we aim to follow is that words written with an initial capital letter are not permitted. Applying this rule is fairly straightforward in the case of satanic vs Satan - the former is almost always written in all lower-case letters, while the latter has a capital S. Likewise with currencies (lower case) and country names (capitalized).

Things get a bit blurrier when a word can be written either way. I have to admit that Latino and Latina are almost always written with a capital L, but they have occasionally been written in all lower-case. Wiktionary is the only dictionary I could see that gave the lower-case version as an alternative form.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites