It’s fun to say; even to read

Perhaps we should embrace it

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Glomp
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 03:48:52 PM »
Well, glamp and glamping seem to have caught on, so why not glomp?

By the way, what does it mean? Sounds as though it should be a louder form of clomping.

;D

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 12:26:07 AM »
From the OED:
Etymology: Blend of either glamour n. or glamorous adj. and camping n.2

A form of camping that involves accommodation and facilities more luxurious than those associated with traditional camping.

2005   Guardian 19 Feb. (Travel section) 6/5   These days it's more ‘glamping’ than camping, with the best companies offering state-of-the-art pre-erected tents and luxe mobile homes with ensuite bathrooms that feel like an Oscar-winner's trailer.

2008   Business Rev. Weekly (Austral.) 23 Oct. 19/1   Glamping is likely to satisfy any city slicker seeking a little refuge in nature—without foregoing any of life's luxuries.

2012   J. Fagan Panopticon (2013) xx. 214   That's called glamping..cos the lassies at the VW have candles, and wine, and beanbags all out around where they are sitting.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 02:29:25 AM »
I think we have a crossed line.
I know about glamp /glamping, but I was curious about the meaning of Lily's Field's suggestion glomp.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 05:39:42 AM »
My apologies. How about this definition from Urban Dictionary?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 05:28:09 PM »
Wiktionary defines to glomp as:

(slang, chiefly fandom slang, transitive) to embrace enthusiastically; to pounce on and hug, often from a running start.

and also as a noun:

(slang, chiefly fandom slang) An embrace of this kind.

Wiktionary gives a number of usage examples, from niche sources like rec.arts.anime.fandom.

There seem to be no other general dictionaries that have included this word so far, but Collins lists it as a new word suggestion, "An extremely enthusiastic, almost violent, bear hug or tackle. Can be used as a verb or a noun." This suggestion was made in 2012, and is still in pending status.

Dictionary.com lists glomp in its slang dictionary:

A glomp is a lunging, enthusiastic, over-the-top, and potentially dangerous hug that often begins with a running start, like a tackle.

It can be used as a verb or internet comment for giving someone such a greeting.

That page has quite a bit of background information on the term, but concludes by hedging its bets a little:

NOTE

This is not meant to be a formal definition of glomp like most terms we define on Dictionary.com, but is rather an informal word summary that hopefully touches upon the key aspects of the meaning and usage of glomp that will help our users expand their word mastery.

The word has occasionally made it into books and mainstream media. For example, The Japanification of Children's Popular Culture: From Godzilla to Miyazaki (2009), by Mark I. West:

However, the animé conventions I attended are characterized by a phenomenon called "glomping" in which fans, often strangers, show affection through random hugging that borders on light tackling.

And on the website of the ABC in Australia, a 2013 article about a Supanova Pop Culture Expo in Perth:

Glomping: As described by the Supanova website: "A cross between a hug and a gentle tackle," favoured by fans of anime (Japanese animation). Discouraged by the expo this year.

I fervently hope glomping is discouraged everywhere right now.

In future puzzles glomp, glomped and glomping will be accepted as rare words.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites