Author Topic: A weird thing  (Read 1705 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
A weird thing
« on: May 20, 2021, 01:55:11 AM »
I've noticed something strange about the shuffle facility in the 7-by-many game.

If you shuffle the letters in today's game and then add an extra L, S, C or O to the mix and reshuffle multiple times, everything is fine.

Clear the rack, shuffle, add an extra A. Each time you reshuffle using these 8 letters the A, H and E take turns in doubling up. The same happens if you shuffle the original letters and add E or H.

It's most noticeable if you shuffle the original 7 letters and then add, say, 6 Es. Each time you reshuffle these 13 letters you get, in turn,  either 7 Es, 7 As, or 7 Hs.

Most peculiar.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A weird thing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 03:47:10 PM »
I see what you mean, pat. I'll see if I can sort that out.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 06:36:49 PM »
I don't know if it's relevant or coincidental, Alan, but looking at today's 7-by-many, where the problem again occurs with some letters but not others, I've noticed that in both yesterday's and today's puzzles the problem letters are those positioned in the centre, at the north and at the north-east.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 07:11:20 PM »
Yes, it's weird. I've noticed it before.
I've just put all seven letters on the board by pressing 'shuffle'

I've added an 'S' and an 'E'. I now have nine letters on the board. I have two 'E's right enough, but the second 'S' has now become a second 'C'!

Curiouser and curiouser.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 11:03:13 PM »
In Chrome I've noticed an odd behaviour when shuffling the letters. Once shuffled, clicking a letter can move a completely different letter to the board. Also, sometimes letters are 'doubled up' on other letters leaving gaps in the base store of letters. I've just tried to replicate this on previous puzzles to grab a screenshot and, you'll never guess, it refuses to do it!  :-P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:13:19 AM »
I've just been testing the shuffle on today's 7-by- many. Without first using the mix button, Pat is right. It is only the characters T (N), S(NE), and E (centre) that substitute for each other. But if I then use the Mix button and move the T and S to the SW and NW, it is still only those original letters (T, S, & E) that play up.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »
This problem should now be gone.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat