Author Topic: Smellies  (Read 1546 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Smellies
« on: May 10, 2021, 08:33:22 PM »
Here in the UK we ladies often refer to perfumes and scented body care products as 'smellies', a plural noun. According to my Shorter Oxford Dictionary there's a singular noun, 'smellie', defined as "a film in which smell is synchronized with the picture" (say what?) which might automatically exclude 'smellies' but I'd like to suggest it for inclusion.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: Smellies
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:38:07 PM »
I'd be interested to know what your favourite smelly is, Pen.  I have one particular perfume that I love more than any other ...  Could it be the same as yours?  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 09:09:57 PM »
Oh Linda the chances of that are about 5 million to one :laugh:
I do love l'Occitane Verbena & I used to like Safari but can't remember now who makes it!  I like light perfume that's not too overpowering :)
Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 09:49:48 PM »
l'Occitane Verbena

I use the shower gel and body lotion!!  When we were in Verona we used to pass a shop that had samples of it by the door and I couldn't resist having a quick spray of the eau de toilette each time I went past.  Lovely citrus smell.

My all time favourite is Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana.  I try others but always go back to it.   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 10:12:40 PM »

I use the shower gel and body lotion!!  When we were in Verona we used to pass a shop that had samples of it by the door and I couldn't resist having a quick spray of the eau de toilette each time I went past.  Lovely citrus smell.

My all time favourite is Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana.  I try others but always go back to it.   >:D

That's another funny coincidence Linda!  I have the eau de toilette - I do love the smell :)  Next time I go past the Perfume Shop I'll have a sniff of the Light Blue.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 10:57:42 PM »
Yes, do.  I think you might like it - not too heavy.  Can you remember Poison?  Used to make me feel sick!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 11:35:50 PM »
I do remember Poison yeuch >:(  Ghastly stuff  - you could taste the smell of it!  There's an aftershave that I forget the name of which is similar.  You can smell it at 30 paces & the men who use it seem to bath in it!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 11:54:43 PM »
I'm not sure which one you mean as there are so many!  At work we seem to get farmers in who either haven't bothered to wash and change before they arrive and bring the smell of the farmyard in with them or those who douse themselves in aftershave in an attempt to mask the pungent farmyard smell!  Either way, it's not good!!  >:D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 02:10:22 AM »
There's an aftershave that I forget the name of which is similar.  You can smell it at 30 paces & the men who use it seem to bath in it!

That has to be Blue Stratos.
Synonymous with Cuban heels, flared trousers and the 1970s.

I was always an 'Old Spice' person.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 02:56:40 AM »
On behalf of us who have very sensitive noses (I cannot go down the grocery aisle with the laundry detergents — it will bring tears to my eyes), thank you for not using too much smellies. I used to work with a man who bathed in the stuff. I could smell him before I saw him and if I was unable to avoid shaking hands, I'd have to wash my hands afterwards. And please don't offer scented soaps — cannot stand them and find them especially horrible if forced to use them before eating as I end up smelling the scent instead of the food!

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 04:21:16 AM »
I have problems with smelly aftershaves , perfumes etc too. The favourite after shave for a lot of the young ones is Lynx Africa and that is really bad!I especially dislike fabric conditioners. The nursing home near me has recently had a new extractor system for the laundry and my local dog walk is now spoilt at certain times of the day as I sneeze my way past.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 04:38:17 AM »
I'm not sure which one you mean as there are so many!  At work we seem to get farmers in who either haven't bothered to wash and change before they arrive and bring the smell of the farmyard in with them or those who douse themselves in aftershave in an attempt to mask the pungent farmyard smell!  Either way, it's not good!!  >:D

I remember you mentioning your farmery smelling farmers before Linda.  Sounds a bloody nightmare :(  Perhaps Alan could make us a little pinching your nose emoji >:D

I think Christine & Mike are both bang on the money.  Blue Stratos was very pongy but the Lynx Africa is eye wateringly hideous :-R
There are a few doctors & nurses who wear very strong aftershave & perfume.  Enough to knock you down!  I always think it must be bad enough being poorly without having to contend with being asphyxiated into the bargain >:D

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 08:05:40 AM »
Perhaps Alan could make us a little pinching your nose emoji >:D

The Unicode emojis don't display in this forum. The closest emoji currently available is this one.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 10:20:12 AM »
What about all the cool young hippies from the 60s/70s in their Indian cotton dresses reeking of Patchouli?  Hey, Peace Man, them's were the days!
Brut was popular with the ambitious studs of those times.

I have to admit a liking for Chanel No.5 and Patou's Joy.  A lot of the old perfumes are no longer.  Although I see that 4711 seems to have withstood the test of time.  As has Mike's Old Spice.

So many smellies tend to evoke many memories, good and bad.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:59:34 AM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 02:21:55 PM »
Adding my vote for Chanel No.5, used in strict moderation.