Author Topic: Word suggestion: POKERWORK  (Read 587 times)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
Word suggestion: POKERWORK
« on: April 27, 2021, 05:11:20 PM »
I tried POKERWORK in the recent OPENWORK 7-by-many, but it was 'not known'.

If OPENWORK is common and can be a seed word, I suggest that POKERWORK might at least qualify as rare.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Word suggestion: POKERWORK
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 01:34:33 AM »
I hadn't heard that term for the process but I know about the craft - I even had a kit from a craft store many years ago where the heating was done through electricity.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 05:24:49 PM »
This term is sometimes written as two words - poker work - and is listed that way by the Merriam-Webster dictionary. But the online Oxford and Collins dictionaries have the single-word form, as does Wiktionary.

The word pokerwork isn't used very often, but it warrants being accepted as a rare word. The technique is also known as pyrography, which is already a Chi word.

Openwork seems to be used a little more often, and in a wider range of contexts: ancient artifacts; modern architecture; and even microscopic structures. "Diatoms have the phenomenal ability to synthesise amorphous silica with a complex, three-dimensional, openwork nanostructure," as a Professor Buszewski explained to the Emerging Europe website in 2019. I'll leave it as a common word, but I don't think it's common enough to be the all-letter word in a puzzle, so I'll drop it as a seed word. (That won't preclude pokerwork appearing in a future puzzle. There are a couple of other seed words that include its letters.)
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 09:13:52 PM »
Thank you Alan.