Author Topic: Word suggestion: merch  (Read 447 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Word suggestion: merch
« on: April 27, 2021, 08:38:21 AM »
I tried merch (short for merchandise) in the recent CHIMERICAL game, bit no luck.  It's a term that's become quite common in recent years and is listed in most contemporary dictionaries.  Worth adding to the Chi lexicon in my view.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Word suggestion: merch
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 01:31:45 PM »
I agree.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 03:53:17 PM »
Totally agree - check out my merch on my merch store...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »
Yes, merch should be allowed. It can be used as a casual term for any kind of merchandise, but is most often used for products associated with a band, sports team, political campaign, etc. In these senses, Merriam-Webster dates it to 1982, while the online Oxford gives it an origin in the 1960s. Either way, it wasn't much used until this century, and has become quite widespread just in the last few years - see this chart from the News on the Web Corpus:

Despite the growing usage of the word, I suspect it hasn't made itself known to all our players, so I'll make it a rare word for now.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites