Author Topic: Problem playing Chihuahua (SPOILER ALERT FOR 'YOUR PUZZLE' PLAYERS)  (Read 3628 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem playing Chihuahua (SPOILER ALERT FOR 'YOUR PUZZLE' PLAYERS)
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 09:09:32 PM »
You're right about the X button being the one to cause the problem, Alan. I pressed it just once and the screen shrank.

I tried using Samsung's own Internet browser but it did exactly the same thing so I installed Firefox. Fingers crossed - that seems to be working OK at the moment. The game fits the screen as it should  with all the words beginning with the same letter wrapping round onto a new line on the scoreboard instead of stretching along a single line to infinity, as is usually the case with Chrome. Also the overall size of the screen seems to be remaining steady. With Chrome, even if it didn't shrink right up into the corner it would often become slightly larger or slightly smaller.

The only thing that Firefox still won't do is allow me to use the keyboard. But a good result so far so thanks for the suggestion.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »
My problem occurs with the touchscreen. If I hover over the puzzle area, then the letters are submitted.

Dino, I would interpret hovering to mean that your finger is close to the screen but not actually touching it, in which case I wouldn't expect the screen to respond in any way.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 06:31:56 AM »
Dino, I suspect your hovering problem is similar to the problem I have where I get a premature submission after I have touched a letter. It appears to be because my finger stays too long on the spot. It doesn't need much pressure to activate, and then the green submit arrow appears and any further delay activate that.
Alan, I jumped the gun when I said the problem was fixed. Still getting it. Is it possible to put a longer delay before the submit arrow appears?
(Pat, I like playing on the Samsung tablet, except for the problem just mentioned, which I thought originally may be just a Samsung touch-sensitivity problem. I do not use the keyboard. All touch or drag) .

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 07:41:22 AM »
Pat, I like playing on the Samsung tablet, except for the problem just mentioned, which I thought originally may be just a Samsung touch-sensitivity problem. I do not use the keyboard. All touch or drag.

Which browser do you use, Roddles? All the problems I had with the Chrome browser have disappeared with Firefox (apart from being unable to use the keyboard).

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 09:14:54 AM »
Pat, I use Chrome, and always have on the tablet as it is basically the default browser. After many years using Firefox on the computer I have switched to Chrome there also, as Firefox was not behaving nicely with online forms. But I am beginning to dislike Chrome on the tablet as it now groups tabs, and it is too easy to close the wrong tab. I switch back and forth  between the puzzle and the forum discussion and I am getting sick of accidentally closing the puzzle and having to log back in. Might give Firefox a whirl.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »
Hi Roddles,

Forgive me if I am teaching Granny to suck eggs, but you said you are sick of logging back in each time.

There is an automatic log-in feature which Alan explains much better than I could

Have you set it up to sign in automatically? If not, when you're signed in, click on the Details button just below your player name. Then in the panel that appears, enter your password as "Current password" and put a tick in the box labeled "Sign in automatically on this computer". Then click on OK down the bottom.
Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 01:29:57 PM »
Roddles, your issue might be related to a change I made in March last year to allow your word to be submitted by holding your finger (or mouse button) down on the last letter. See New way to submit a word. Do you recall if your problem has started since March 2020?

The length of time your finger has to be in place to submit the word was originally 0.6 sec, but I increased it to 0.8 in the recent updates. I thought this would be long enough because Android devices generally respond differently to a "tap and hold" of around half a second by default. For instance if you tap and hold on a link, you won't be taken directly to the page linked to, but will be presented with a list of options.

I could drop this feature - I don't know whether anybody is actually using it. Or I could make it optional.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 01:37:38 PM »
Thanks for digging up those instructions, Jack.

Roddles, it's preferable if you do occasionally close the Chihuahua tab, because that allows your browser to get the latest version when I release updates.
Alan Walker

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2021, 04:04:28 AM »
Thanks Jack & Alan for the replies. Jack, I hadn't noticed that I didn't have that checkbox checked.
Alan I honestly can't tell you when this problem started. I know I didn't have it when I first started years ago, and used to see if I could sustain a 100% hit rate. I suspect it was more than a year ago when I had to give that away, but I do know that I have been complaining to my wife about it much more in recent times. She (pattiecake) uses a stylus on a Samsung phone and doesn't have the problem because of the precision of the tapping.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2021, 07:20:55 PM »
Thanks for digging up those instructions, Jack.

Roddles, it's preferable if you do occasionally close the Chihuahua tab, because that allows your browser to get the latest version when I release updates.

Thanks for this suggestion Alan. It has completely fixed my problem on Chrome where  pressing the MIX button resulted in some of the letters doubling up with a consequent number of letter position(s) appearing blank.  ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2021, 03:45:43 PM »
I've now further increased, to one and a half seconds, the time your finger has to be held down on a letter to signal you want to submit the word. This should surely eliminate most cases of inadvertent word submission caused by a long press. However, it doesn't rule out the risk of inadvertent word submission due to an accidental double tap. But perhaps such a problem will be less likely now because there's no need to jab a letter sharply - the player can tap a letter slowly and deliberately and, as long as they lift their finger before 1.5 sec has passed, all will be well.

Let's know how this works out, Roddles and others with similar issues.

Pat, I think I've also fixed the problems of the puzzle shrinking in Chrome. Give it a try.
Alan Walker

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »
Looks good, Alan. So far the game has stayed 'anchored' instead of wobbling around the screen and, touch wood, the size has stayed constant. So it looks as if I might be able to go back to using the Chrome browser. I used the recently downloaded Firefox browser only to play Chi as it has a, to me, retrograde function. Instead of having the tabs in a row along the top of the screen there's a bar at the bottom that you have to hit to show all the tabs you have open. One thing that was always stressed back in my (long gone) days as a developer was that the user should have to do as little as possible to get to where they wanted to be. I guess the Firefox developers wanted their browser to be a bit different, but whereas in Chrome (and any other browser I've ever used) if you want to close a tab it's a single click on the X, in Firefox it's 3 clicks; one to bring up the list of tabs; one to close the one you don't want and one to return to where you were. A strange 'improvement' and certainly one that would have earned me a severe b******ing!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2021, 02:23:55 AM »
I've now further increased, to one and a half seconds, the time your finger has to be held down on a letter to signal you want to submit the word.

I noticed that on my phone earlier today. Thought something was wrong with the browser so I closed it and restarted it. I had got used to using the hold to submit words, but now find it quicker to double tap the last letter.

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2021, 08:00:52 AM »
Alan, thank you. For the first time in a long time today I managed to get most of my words without an accidental miss. That is, until I started to get desperate at the end. But that was my own recklessness!