Author Topic: One extreme to the other  (Read 2146 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
One extreme to the other
« on: April 03, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »
The Standard game of Friday 2 April 2021 was very easy, as witnessed by the large number of rosettes. Then the Challenge game of Saturday 3 April 2021 was very difficult, taking over an hour before the first rosette appeared.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: One extreme to the other
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 01:15:00 PM »
I don't think that i have ever come across a very easy game of chi, although i did find Friday's game easier than the usually tougher standard.
Despite the large number of rosettes, there was just one trophy & 10 mavens achieved.
In a very easy game, many more players would have continued on to gain those higher levels.
Not to mention that there were also several very talented & skillful players who missed the rosette & are probably still kicking themselves now.
Even though all of the common words were very " well...common ", you still have to find them & of course there were a couple of plurals in there that are always tricky.
So i do sympathise with those that failed to find an easy word or two as i have done the same in past

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »
The record is generally held to be with the skedaddle game from a few years ago

https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php?topic=2639.msg47594#msg47594

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 06:01:59 PM »
That game was well before my time.
Was the proportion of trophies & mavens also higher in that game?

Having missed out in the very easy game on Friday, i would like to think that Vizal was one of those players that did at least achieve a rosette in the 2013 game?

I do understand that the main objective of most players is to find all of the common words which of course includes the big word & rewards you with a rosette.

Apart from having a dig at Alan, all i am trying to say is that no matter how very easy a game may be in attaining a rosette you can easily turn it into a more challenging game by trying to achieve a maven, cham or trophy.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 06:09:24 PM by les303 »

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
My target in every game is to see how close I can get to maven.

When I was playing the 9- and 10- letter games every day, I managed 'maven' on average about five or six times a month. In about 10 years of playing Chi, I have managed to make 'cham' level once - a couple of years ago. I can't remember the word in question, only that it was a fairly easy standard game with a lot of prefixes and suffixes.
I've always believed - some may disagree with me - that the only way to get a cup /trophy is by using online anagram solvers and that to me rather defeats the purpose of playing a game like Chi. It's like looking up the answers in the back of a book of crossword puzzles and then writing those answers in the grid.
Now, my regular Chi 'fix' comes from the 7-by-many. I find it much more challenging than the 'ordinary' games. I occasionally play the 9/10 letter games but usually as a speed challenge - 10 minutes to find the keyword and get to 'best' on the table under the grid.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 01:02:52 PM »
My objective is to always find the big word & get a rosette.
If i manage to get a rosette & the maven is not to far off, then i will go for it.
On the other hand, like in this mornings standard game, i found myself looking for one more common word so i persevered & ended up with a maven almost by accident.
It's got me buggered how i can manage to find all of these rare words while failing to find the common word that i am looking for !!!
Just for a bit of variety & a slightly different challenge, i am generally content when playing the Challenge game to attain the best score with 100% hit rate with the ultimate goal of getting a rosette with !00%.
This is the only game where i will use my dictionary to check the spelling of a word.
Like you Mike, i think that the 7 by many game provides the the biggest challenge & most enjoyment.
Trying to keep up with the regulars, including yourself & all my other benchmark players is a big part of that enjoyment .
Congratulations on your rosette in the current game.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 01:06:18 PM by les303 »

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 09:02:33 PM »
I failed to get a rosette in two games yesterday and today by missing stone (when I'd played stoned) and emit (when I'd played item, time and mite). Aargh!! Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 06:41:09 AM »
Jacki, 
Well if you must play stoned then you've got to expect to miss a word or two  ;D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 07:13:08 AM »
 ;D
nice one

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »
That was a good one- my first laugh for the day!!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 11:44:11 AM »
Good to know that i am not the only one to make such simple omissions, even when sober.

Liked the " stoned " joke, Rod.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:51:13 PM by les303 »

gromit

• Neophyte
  • Wellington, NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 02:12:33 PM »
I failed to get a rosette in two games yesterday and today by missing stone (when I'd played stoned) and emit (when I'd played item, time and mite). Aargh!! Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

I missed sack in the recent HAVERSACK game.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 02:56:54 PM »
Know the feeling!!