Author Topic: Cultural illiteracy at the BBC  (Read 1142 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Cultural illiteracy at the BBC
« on: March 29, 2021, 10:21:02 AM »
From https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56553790
Police said an explosion erupted as two attackers tried to enter the church on Palm Sunday, the first day of Easter.

Appalling. I expected better from the BBC.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Cultural illiteracy at the BBC
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 02:09:44 AM »
I don't! Not any more.  They are a long way away from the great & respected institution they once were.  I begrudge every penny of my TV license.  Especially when it is helping to pay Martin Bashir's legal costs.  Shameful >:( 
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 03:21:04 AM »
Oh Penny. I wanted to disappoint TRex too but I would have gone too far in my accusations and level of disappointment in what was a revered institution;

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 05:22:12 AM »
You're right Christine.  It's one of those "Oh for goodness sake don't get me started!" situations.  Scrap the TV license & let them raise money in the same way as all the other channels.  What really gets my goat is that I don't think they're actually answerable to anybody.  Not even the Government.
Sorry I'll put a sock in it now :-X
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 11:23:26 AM »
Well, that is disappointing. Too bad what was once a good source for relatively unbiased information has declined.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 02:33:15 PM »
From https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56553790
two attackers tried to enter the church on Palm Sunday, the first day of Easter.

An unfortunate error, (writing 'first day of Easter' instead of 'first day of Holy Week') but not entirely unexpected in a country where less than 6% of the adult 'Christian' population attend church regularly and where, in the forthcoming census, more than 50% of the population are expected to say that they have no religious beliefs.

Scrap the TV license & let them raise money in the same way as all the other channels. 

Please, no.  No advertising.
BBC is still capable of producing some very fine programmes. The Attenborough documentaries, for example, and 'Line of Duty', which has just started a new series. {I know I no longer live in UK, but I still manage to find ways to watch all of these.) Allow big companies to dictate programme content and the quality of programmes will plummet.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 09:53:37 PM »

Please, no.  No advertising.
BBC is still capable of producing some very fine programmes. The Attenborough documentaries, for example, and 'Line of Duty', which has just started a new series.

Exactly the programmes I'd have mentioned. Line of Duty is one of the best TV programmes ever! If anyone who can access it hasn't yet watched it I can thoroughly recommend it. There are several series and they're all excellent.

The news programmes have become almost unwatchable these days though. I always watch the 6 p.m. news but it's full of vox pops. I'm interested in what scientific advisers have to say about Covid, for example, but not how upset Mrs. Smith from Leeds is about not being able to go to the gym.

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 04:19:06 AM »
I agree with you Pat. The regular Covid news reports with BoJo are preceded by a half hour of various correspondents deciding what BoJo wil say, then a further half hour mulling it all over again. The news programmes no longer have news reports but news stories. The morning  Breakfast News programme which runs for 3 hours is full to overflowing with vox pop crap. Bring back proper accurate reporting please.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 08:16:25 PM »
My husband says he's so sick of journalists/presenters interviewing other journalists/presenters or so-called experts. It's not news.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 09:07:27 PM »
I have recently found BBC Mundo which is International news in Spanish and I find it very interesting with stories that never make it to Australia. I do thank all the British public for the service. And it's been great for my Spanish.