Author Topic: March 22 Challenge UNDERPASS puzzle  (Read 593 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
March 22 Challenge UNDERPASS puzzle
« on: March 23, 2021, 10:03:21 PM »
RADNESS   - excellence

I've just watched Bill & Ted's Face the Music though...  ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: March 22 Challenge UNDERPASS puzzle
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 01:41:56 AM »
Is this an Aussie word? I had to reread the post before I realized it was a word you were suggesting for inclusion.   ;D

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 03:06:49 AM »
No, it was something I thought 'should' be a word so I tried it. I was surprised that it wasn't allowed so I googled it and found this on lexico.com
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 02:09:20 PM »
As ridethetalk demonstrates, radness is listed by the online Oxford. It's also in Wiktionary. Its use is somewhat niche, but I'll accept it as a rare word.

The relevant sense of rad originated in the 1970s. It was first used in skateboarding circles to mean challenging, risky, extreme - derived presumably from radical. Over time its meaning was generalised to encompass anything admirable or cool. The derived term radness has been around since the 1980s.

A recent example is from the music blog Stereogum in March this year:

They play classic rock and roll rippers with garage-rock swagger and raucous punk-rock savagery, and their new song “Tell The Papers” is three and a half minutes of pure, uncut radness. The indelible hooks and the bashed-out intensity complement each other perfectly, and you can practically smell the spilled beer drying on the floor.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 03:46:23 PM »
Thanks Alan - that's RAD  ;D