Author Topic: Nimby common?  (Read 1931 times)

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Nimby common?
« on: March 16, 2021, 11:30:15 AM »
This is an acronym which is certainly not in the same category as words like scuba and radar which have evolved into words in their own right.  Not surprisingly, played by only 9% of players.  A strong candidate for reclassification in my view. 

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Nimby common?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 01:44:05 PM »
This is very much a 'Chi-word' for me (a word I've learned from playing Chi), although I have come across it occasionally in films and TV progs.
I've a feeling I heard it in Frances McDormand's 'sure to win an Oscar' film 'Nomadland'
It's in COD, but written with a capiital (Nimby).
I suppose it should be capitalized, since it is an acronym formed from a direct speech utterance -'Not in my back yard!', although I suspect it may have become transmogrified into a noun or an adjective - '... protests from the nimby community...'

I don't think it should be common, though. 

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 02:19:05 PM »
Nimby ... common ... Not in million bloody years.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:27:51 PM »
Only got it because I'd remembered it from somewhere. It was my last word for the puzzle...in desperation...NOT because I thought it would be common,
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 03:59:17 PM »
I was very surprised that IGNOMY was rare and even more surprised that NIMBY was common. I don't think NIMBY should even be allowed. To me it's like MUFTI.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 05:06:34 PM »
I was very surprised that IGNOMY was rare ....

I think the more common form of the word is ignominy and that ignomy is an obsolete form of that.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 06:21:51 PM »
Mike, i do agree with you that ignomy is correctly classified as rare.
However, as you would be well aware, there are many examples in chi where words with obsolete or archaic spelling are excepted as common.
Perhaps Alan could offer a brief explanation as to how he determines the classification of these type of words?

Jacki, so long as it causes no ignominy, could you please tell me what MUFTI stands for.
I think that my guess " many use forum to illuminate " may be incorrect although your response will indeed illuminate me.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 07:29:15 PM »
I think that nimby is very much a British expression. I can't remember which politician put his size 10's in it a number of years ago about a planning application for a lot of housing developments too near his ancestral home,but it became a popular expression overnight. Having said that , I failed to see the "word?".If it is to be allowed then it should be uncommon.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »
Is 'mufti' an acronym?
As far as I know, it's an Arabic word meaning 'legal adviser' or 'counsellor'.

I think it's also used as soldiers' slang for 'out of uniform' or 'in civvies'.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 08:02:13 PM »
I came across MUFTI in crosswords mainly in the Sydney Morning Herald's quick crossword and the clue was invariably "plain clothes day", ie staff didn't have to wear a uniform. Never heard of it before - I just called it plain clothes day - usually associated with a gold coin donation to charity. On further research, MUFTI apparently is an acronym for Minimum Use of Force Tactical Intervention.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 09:50:45 PM »
However, as you would be well aware, there are many examples in chi where words with obsolete or archaic spelling are excepted as common.
Perhaps Alan could offer a brief explanation as to how he determines the classification of these type of words?

I didn't think there were a lot of obsolete words classed as common, Les. The rule is the same as for any other word - if it's likely to be known to Chi players, it's common. There are a few pronouns like thee, thou and thine that are common - I think everybody would know of these words. I'm sure there are some others, but I can't think of any offhand.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 03:01:46 PM »
Would troth be one those others?
It appeared in the just completed 7 by many game.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 02:48:14 PM »
NIMBY is fairly common in my area, though I think it is still usually spelled as an acronym, with capital letters.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 03:04:35 PM »

I didn't think there were a lot of obsolete words classed as common, Les. The rule is the same as for any other word - if it's likely to be known to Chi players, it's common. There are a few pronouns like thee, thou and thine that are common - I think everybody would know of these words. I'm sure there are some others, but I can't think of any offhand.
I suggested in this thread that troth should be made rare.
faerie appeared in the just completed 7 - by - many & is another archaic spelling which i feel should also be made rare.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 06:40:55 PM »
Certainly commonly known in this part of the world, as is its derivative nimbyism. In fact I used the latter recently in a thread on here.