Author Topic: Nimby common?  (Read 1932 times)

Tom

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Nimby common?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2021, 10:31:58 AM »
N.I.M.B.Y. Certainly common here in South Gippsland, Victoria. We constantly face the threat of acres of hideous 100 metres+ high wind turbines on our beautiful landscape. Many years ago that threat came to us right here in our particular location (the closest turbine would have been about 600m behind our house). As a citizens' group we banded together to fight the proposal legally. It cost us $40,000 but at the end of the day we won and the spectre of those monstrosities was vanquished, from here at least. Of course, we faced opposition, mainly from inner city conservationists who would never have that threat themselves and one of the names we were call was 'nimby'. I wear that name with pride because until one faces the threat of having their amentity so grossly impacted one cannot understand just how important ones back yard is.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2021, 01:39:15 PM »
Tom, to each their own, but, personally I find them magnificent machines and love the look of a landscape filled with these graceful towers with their slowly rotating blades. It's a wonderful bonus that they produce fossil-free power for our modern lifestyles.

A whole lot better than a dirty coal mine and coal-fired power station spewing lots of pollution into the air. People in the Latrobe Valley have paid in years off their lifespans because of that pollution...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2021, 10:08:01 PM »
personally I find them magnificent machines and love the look of a landscape filled with these graceful towers with their slowly rotating blades.

So do I!  What's not to like?  >:D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 02:49:18 AM »
Hear, hear

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2021, 06:16:48 AM »
Si, si
Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 04:13:24 PM »
Getting back to the original issue, the common classification of nimby, what seems to decide the issue in my mind is that about 90% of the time the word is written as NIMBY or Nimby. The word written in all lower case letters is not common, so I'll change its category to rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 04:41:52 PM »
In this topic, Les raised the issue of troth, which he felt should be rare on the grounds of being obsolete.

Nobody spoke up for it, but maybe it was overshadowed by nimby and, mainly in another thread, faerie. I found an example of its use in a recent news item about a French "anti-separatism" law:

People representing the French state, in either the public or private sector, will have to plight their troth to the principles of secularism and neutrality in public service. One consequence is the end of public swimming pools with male and female-only lanes for religious reasons.

(It's good to see the French government is focused on the big issues of the day.)

When the word is used, it's usually being either pledged or plighted, or occasionally given. These are phrases which people have perhaps lifted from traditional wedding vows - which are possibly not heard so often these days in actual wedding ceremonies.

I don't think troth is actually common, so it will be treated as a rare word from now on.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2021, 05:46:15 PM »
Thanks Alan, may the faerie god mother be with you.