Author Topic: Advancing my vocabulary  (Read 645 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Advancing my vocabulary
« on: March 12, 2021, 02:53:53 PM »
Hi,
When I guess a word (yes, I do that sometimes  :-P :-P :-P) I often check the meaning to
  • advance my vocabulary
  • lock the word (or try to) into my brain

Often the definition comes up with "alternative form of enm" - what does this mean???
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Advancing my vocabulary
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 04:39:42 PM »
It means there's been a snafu, ridethetalk.

Almost all the definitions displayed are based on entries in Wiktionary, but the Chihuahua software does a fair bit of manipulation to try to extract the essential information. Sometimes this goes wrong.

I've seen this "enm" thing myself. I think it might stand for English Modern, but I'm not sure. From time to time I identify the source of a problem and try to fix it. It's a work in progress.

What you can always do is click on the Wiktionary link below the definition. This will take you to the relevant Wiktionary page where the definitions should be displayed correctly.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »
Thanks Alan - that would explain why google couldn't help me...  ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 12:27:43 PM »
An update on my previous answer.

It turns out that the "enm" stood for Middle English, so the display was trying to interpret definitions that are generally irrelevant to us. (Wiktionary actually covers a multitude of languages, living and dead.)

I've made a small adjustment, with the aim of excluding those puzzling references to "enm". Hopefully it won't exclude anything that should be there.

I said above "generally irrelevant", because one consequence of the change I've made is that a few extra rare words will come up with no definition available. In some of these cases the definition classed by Wiktionary as Middle English may be the reason the word is accepted in Chi. But I don't think it would be helpful to start including all Middle English definitions.

If anyone spots any further oddities in the definition display, please keep it to yourself let me know.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »
Gosh, thanks for the clarification!

When I looked for enm, I found Ethical Non-Monogamy.

Apparently this is a thing.

Middle English is far preferable!