Author Topic: What's "new"?  (Read 4103 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's "new"?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 03:00:17 PM »
Roddles, I haven't got a solution to your problem (and pat's problem sometimes, and no doubt other people's problem too). I had a Samsung tablet myself for a couple of years, and didn't notice such a problem, but of course Samsung makes a multitude of different models, which might react slightly differently to touch screen actions.

Your letter selection will be treated as a word submission too, if you hold down your finger too long, because the letter will have moved away so that your finger is now on the green arrow. But if you try to give each letter a short sharp jab, your finger might bounce, leading you to do an inadvertent double-tap. Obviously you need a Goldilocks touch - not too slow and not too sharp, but just right.

I'll have a think about any adjustments to the mechanism that might make things a bit less "touchy", without interfering with the option of using a double-tap to complete the word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »
So much talk about what colours people like! I am colour blind (tritanope) and have trouble telling some blues and greens apart and then there is the pink/orange group. I have never been able to explain what I see until recently.  This website shows you what we colour blind see.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 09:45:12 PM »
Apparently this colour is sometimes known as guardsman red - I don't know if that appeals to you, Linda?

I can't speak for Linda but I like it.  Much better than maroon!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 09:50:15 PM »
So much talk about what colours people like! I am colour blind (tritanope) and have trouble telling some blues and greens apart and then there is the pink/orange group. I have never been able to explain what I see until recently.  This website shows you what we colour blind see.

That's very interesting Stanley.  It's something I've wondered about & also how do you know you're colour blind as you probably think what you see is normal.  Presumably it possible that somebody who is colour blind may not know if the tomatoes are ripe or not.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 10:03:02 PM »
I can't speak for Linda but I like it.  Much better than maroon!

As ever, we are in agreement, Pen!  Vast improvement, Alan - I would be thrilled if the maroon could be changed to guardsman red.  The red of the car icon is also a good colour.  :-C

I expect that your aversion to brown and orange comes from being young in the 1970's!

Hadn't thought of that, Christine.  There was an awful lot of it around then.  Luckily, my school uniform was black blazer, grey skirt, white shirt and red and black tie in the winter and, joy of joys, a red and white candy stripe cotton dress in summer, hitched up to an almost indecent level by a broad white money belt!! Those were the days!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 11:26:36 PM »
Oh Linda I just don't believe it!  My school summer dress was also red & white candy stripes!  It's scarily spooky & it tickles the hell out of me :laugh:  Love it!
My ham sarnie is calling me :-H

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2021, 11:36:23 PM »
Spooky, Pen!  I am also having a ham sarnie for lunch - just ham and mustard today on thick crusty white bread and a large cup of Westmorland Blend coffee.  >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 09:46:07 PM »
Maybe it's just my eyes, but the 'new' tabs still seem to be horribly maroon?!  I was hoping for a nice 'motor car' red!  :-C

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 06:39:02 AM »
Not your eyes Linda!  They are still horribly maroon!  We need to speak nicely to Alan & hope he can change them to a lovely shade of red :)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2021, 02:12:39 PM »
That's very interesting Stanley.  It's something I've wondered about & also how do you know you're colour blind as you probably think what you see is normal.  Presumably it possible that somebody who is colour blind may not know if the tomatoes are ripe or not.

My elder brother is colour blind as was a maternal uncle, so it wasn't surprising.  For me, I knew from a very young age that I had to use blue for sky and sea and green for grass and trees. My primary school blue pencil was on the end of the red and the green was separate. Paint tubes had their colour on them. Red/green is not a problem for me so when tomatoes turn from blue to red they are ripe and I go through blue or green traffic lights!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 01:57:29 AM »
Thanks Stanley.  I hadn't realised that colour blindness is hereditary.  If I'd engaged brain then of course it makes sense!  My sister & I both had a lazy eye.  We both had an operation when we were about 2 or 3 years old.  Hers was a success but mine failed. Once you get to about 9 then there's nowt that can be done about it so I've had to live with it.  It can be quite frustrating when I talk to people & they look over their shoulder.
It turned out that we inherited this from my Mum's brother.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2021, 02:50:55 PM »
I've upgraded the site to try to solve both issues raised in this thread: the colour of the "new" icon (easy); and the premature submission of words on a touch screen (not so easy).

Upgrades can take a day or two to appear on your device. This seems to be especially the case with mobile devices. If the "new" icons are a cheery red, with no grey border around them, you're running the new version.

Roddles, and anyone else who's been having problems on a touch screen, please let me know if things have improved.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2021, 06:56:49 PM »
I'm pleased to report that my tabs are a cheery cherryish red with no grey border!!  I'm so easily pleased!  >:D

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 05:18:09 PM »
Noice!  And they match the other reds.  I'm all for uniformity!
I'll sleep in my next life

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 07:04:35 AM »
Yes, Alan, the slight delay in the appearance of the green arrow seems to have done the trick with my premature submission.
We have noticed a slight oddity in the 7-by though that has only just started to appear. Every so often when we touch one of the circled letters in the cross, the circle, with the letter, jumps up into the submission text box area. It can then be selected and slide back into its correct position. Generally it is the letter in the 7 o'clock position that does it. But sometimes other ones. It's an oddity rather than a problem and I've been waiting to see if anybody else mentioned it. But we have seen it happen on two different touch devices now.