Author Topic: philippic - common?  (Read 1131 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
philippic - common?
« on: February 27, 2021, 03:33:17 PM »
re the lynchpin 7-by-many game.

As one of the very few (24 from 310) who saw the word and played it, I was quite surprised to see philippic classed as common. For a start, I wasn't sure if it should be capitalized or not. Apparently not.
Honestly, is anyone who has not studied classical literature - a very rare occurrence these days - likely to be familiar with this word?
 I think not.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: philippic - common?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 05:09:39 PM »
I do admit that most of my reading these days is limited to the form guide however i have definitely never come across the word " philippic ".
There was another word from the same game that caught my eye.
CHICHI, definitely nothing to do with chihuahua but it did give me a smile.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 05:27:22 PM »
chichi was the word that cost me a rosette. I do know it and I should have seen it.

It reminds me of overdressed, elderly ladies carrying toy dogs around as fashion accessories.

Do people still use words like this any more?

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 05:55:39 PM »
Not this people.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 07:38:19 PM »
I'm glad I didn't spend too much time trying to get all the common words in the lynchpin puzzle as I'd have been sadly frustrated. I know neither philippic nor chichi.

Going back to your original post, Mike, are you saying that anyone who has studied classical literature is rare these days or that anyone who has not is?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 07:56:26 PM »
Anyone who has studied it, Pat.
Greek disappeared from the UK syllabus many years ago and was followed by Latin a few years later. Most people's knowledge of classical literature is limited to the odd bits that they can pick up from movie epics.
Sad, since, along with the Bible perhaps, Classical Literature is the cornerstone of all western culture.

gromit

• Neophyte
  • Wellington, NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 11:11:30 AM »
I've heard of philippic from the Simon and Garfunkel song (A Simple Desultory Philippic) but I wouldn't remember it to play it and I had to look up it's meaning.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 05:19:11 PM »
I accept your point, MK, and others, that philippic is a bit too obscure to be called common. It will be treated as rare in future.

However I'm not sure that the only people who would know the word would be familiar with Classical literature. I have known the word for some time as a term for a fierce denunciation. My very patchy acquaintance with the Classics led me to believe it was named for Philip of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great, but I had no idea whether he had denounced someone or someone had denounced him. (And I have zero ability to read either Greek or Latin.)

Here are a few examples of philippic being used by writers who may or may not have a Classical education. In a South African publication called New Frame last December:

With a few exceptions – such as Lead Belly and his famous philippic The Bourgeois Blues – blues lyrics are hardly ever directly political.

Fox News(!) in October:

Graham's philippic, directed at his Democratic colleagues.

And in the Daily Mail in March 2016:

The Charmed star directed her philippic to CNN, Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC, Viacom, 'the Murdochs' and Trump and also posted it on her Facebook page.

In case anyone was wondering, it seems it was Philip who was denounced, by Athenian statesman Demosthenes. Apparently the term philippic was next used in Rome to describe Cicero's diatribes against Mark Antony. These are the two celebrated philippics from the Classical era, but these days in the online world scathing invective is of course an everyday occurrence.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 06:23:16 PM »
G'day Alan, could i just ask if chichi is still under consideration for reclassification?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 07:57:28 PM »
Yes yes
Alan Walker

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 09:01:25 AM »
 ;D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 02:37:18 PM »
As for chichi, I'm not at all sure it should be changed from common to rare. In fact, the main reason I'm considering that maybe it should be rare is that it's often written as chi chi or chi-chi.

And I must admit that I quite like these reduplicating words like muumuu, cancan and chichi that have come into view in the 7-by-many puzzle. Has couscous made an appearance? I can't recall seeing it.

The Shorter Oxford defines chichi, as an adjective, as:

Showy, frilly, fussy; affected.

And as a noun:

Showiness, fussiness; affectation; a frilly or showy thing.

Merriam-Webster online has three senses for the adjective (with corresponding definitions for the noun):

1 : elaborately ornamented : showy, frilly
// a chichi dress
2 : arty, precious
// chichi poetry
3 : chic, fashionable
// a chichi nightclub

The third M-W definition, without any necessary implication of affectation, seems to be the one people often have in mind when they use the word these days, so I feel the Oxford is a little deficient here.

Mkenuk asked, "Do people still use words like this any more?" Well, it appears that quite a few do. The word, in English, is not all that old. In the senses listed above, it dates from the early 20th century.

Some usage examples:

John Le Carre, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1963):

'What bank?'

'Blatt and Rodney, a chichi little bank in the City. There's a sort of theory in the Circus that Etonians are discreet.'

This dialogue was also in the film version, with Richard Burton. From a more recent (and possibly less memorable) movie, Superman: Brainiac Attacks (2006):

I like cheeseburgers and chili fries. She likes chichi. It's her job to like chichi.

And from Not Easily Broken (2009):

He's a federal judge and she's a chichi art dealer.

The word also appears occasionally in TV soaps. From The Young and the Restless in 2012:

Well, I thought it would be good on our second date if we went to a place a little less, uh, chichi.

And from One Life to Live in 2010:

Well, screw the mall. There is a chichi boutique right downstairs.

Turning to the TV reality genre, Kitchen Nightmares in 2011 had:

I don't know what Chef Ramsay expected, but it's not a chichi place. I'm not a chichi kind of guy. I'm more down to earth.

Journalists are also partial to the word. For example, the Chicago Tribune in January this year:

The wealthy have long sought to retreat from public life on this chichi barrier island. High society knows a thing or two about discretion, and one could hardly pick a better place for seclusion than a luxurious oceanfront mansion during the glorious South Florida winter.

From the Boston Globe, November 2020:

The cafe culture spawned by the success of Starbucks (which is nearing its 50th anniversary) took hold so completely that even my beloved Dunkin' Donuts (celebrating its 70th anniversary this year) got a bit chichi on us, rebranding itself as just Dunkin' to signal it was a beverage-led retailer, and introducing items like "Nitro-infused Cold Brew Coffee."

The Baltimore Sun in September 2020:

I told Hastings that, given all the poaching that the big-spending Netflix does, I'm surprised that some Disney executive hasn't thrown a drink in his face at a chichi restaurant, "Appointment in Samarra" style.

The Spectator in August 2020:

There's a chichi little kitchen, with a beautiful stove and wood fire.

The Telegraph (UK), January 2020:

The eight-country amble takes in Austrian mountains, chichi resorts on the Italian Riviera and a panorama of Monaco before pulling into Nice in time for the Cours Saleya flower market on Saturday.

And the Daily Mail in 2016:

But then cut off in their chichi catchment areas, where houses cost millions, the liberal commentariat has no experience of what it's like for white working-class parents to see their sons sink to the bottom of the heap in schools where English is barely spoken.

So, while chichi isn't very common, it isn't very uncommon either. I would say it's definitely more common than philippic. I'm going to leave it in the common category.
Alan Walker

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 02:49:55 PM »
G'day Alan, thanks for the determinations & thorough explanation.
At least chichi will be an easy one to remember in the future.
And yes, couscous has definitely appeared a couple of times in the 7 by many games.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:52:04 PM by les303 »

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 03:40:15 PM »
yes, couscous has definitely appeared a couple of times in the 7 by many games.

......as has cuscus, the marsupial, although it's not common.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 03:08:59 PM »
Did not have to wait long for chichi to make another appearance, one of the first words that i played in the just completed 7 by many game.