Author Topic: Word suggestion ?  (Read 1602 times)

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
Re: Word suggestion ?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 04:32:25 PM »
Aha.
That Balvenie is lovely.
It serves as a good calibration of your husbands taste.

From my experience, and personal tastes, you may wish to seek out:

Glendronach
The 18 Allardice is superb, if a little pricey.
The 15 is also pretty darn good.

Glenfarclas
A'Bunadh - Cask strength stunner.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore you.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 04:33:41 PM »
I've always seen these logic gate names written in all capitals, as you've done, whisky and ridethetalk. That would rule them out as Chi words.

Also, isn't exclusive or normally written as XOR? At three letters, this is too short for us.

These are also basic machine language operations for CPUs. However, depending upon which CPU you're referring to, different conventions apply to the exclusive OR instruction when these are written in assembly language.

For example, in the case of Intel or Zilog processors  the operation is described using XOR. So, for example, on a Z80 CPU, you can have and instruction such as

XOR A

which performs an exclusive OR operation on the contents of the accumulator with itself, or

XOR B

which will perform an exclusive OR operation between the contents of the accumulator (A) with the B register, the result being stored back in the accumulator. There are also variations on the XOR instruction allowing the use of memory based operands, either using an absolute memory address, or using the HL register pair as a pointer to the memory operand, as in:

XOR (HL).

Likewise, on 80x86 processors, you can have instructions such as

XOR AX,CX
XOR AL, 0C0H

and in the case of processors from the 486 upwards, the operands for these can be pretty much anything.

However, if you write code for the 6502 processor, the instruction is written as EOR, not XOR. So you can have instructions such as:

EOR #$AA
EOR (loc),Y

Similarly, the instruction is written as EOR when writing code for Motorola processors, such as the 6809 or the elegant 680x0 series. In the case of the latter, you can have operations such as:

EOR.W D0, #$AAAA
EOR.L D0, #$AAAAAAAA
EOR.L D2, D7
EOR.L (A0), D0

and by the time you're coding for the 68020 upwards, all manner of complex memory operands as well. In the case of the operands above, a ".W" after the instruction signifies a 16 bit operation, while ".L" signifies a 32-bit operation. You can also have ".B" for 8-bit operations on appropriate operands on this series of CPUs.

I still have the manuals for these, even though I last wrote assembly language code in anger around 1998.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 08:24:17 PM »
Thank you Whisky-  I've made a note of all of those suggestions. What is the difference between Whiskey and Whisky?
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 10:12:50 PM »
'Scotch' is spelled whisky; Americans and Irish spell it  'whiskey'.

A good Scottish friend of mine always used to say - 'Remember, there's nothing English (meaning the letter 'e') about whisky!'

A good mnemonic,
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 10:14:23 PM by mkenuk »