Author Topic: Location of Active Forumites  (Read 3279 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Active Forumites
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 08:05:35 PM »
Hey....Ticklemonster is NOT interested in the Forum...he's not up for inclusion! We don't automatically get included in each other's interests. Yes if it's Chihuahua players....no to Forum members.

Simply, do not nominate him & will not be included.

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2021, 08:12:29 PM »
Ozzyjack, we’re almost neighbours - well, in the world of Chi we are!  I live in Indooroopilly. Thanks for putting this chart together.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2021, 08:14:19 PM »
2. the intent of my suggestion was only to expand it to truly reflect just how many countries this game is actually played in whether it by forum members or non forum members.

Hi Les,
2. You wanted to get a chart of all those people who play chi and what their location was if we could do that.  My point was that was a separate exercise and should include forumites.  I thought it wasn't a bad idea if you could get someone silly enough to do the work.
Location of a sample of people who play Chihuahua

That was exactly what i was looking for.
Thank you Jack for being " silly " enough to take the time to produce such a wonderful chart

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2021, 08:57:14 PM »
Alan, did you ever think when you started Chi that it would spread around the globe?

Actually, greenone, what intrigues me is how many of the Chi players and forumites are from Australia. Although I live in Australia, there's nothing about the site that's designed to appeal to Australians in particular.

But certainly, when Chi started I wouldn't have expected it to be still going strong 15 years later, and with hundreds of people playing every day.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2021, 09:01:48 PM »
Hey....Ticklemonster is NOT interested in the Forum...he's not up for inclusion! We don't automatically get included in each other's interests. Yes if it's Chihuahua players....no to Forum members.

Simply, do not nominate him & will not be included.
Oh...that was said so tongue in cheek...if he doesn't "do" forum, he's not allowed to be on the list. If he was added, it certainly would not be a problem. The written word can so easily be misinterpreted!   
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2021, 11:40:54 PM »
It has always fascinated me how many people from so many different places enjoy this game. Somehow it makes me feel more well travelled! If I spot a name I haven't noticed before I usually click on to find out their location and I do get a bit frustrated that so many don't put their location. I expect some are worried about security of information and  that is exactly why my original profile was a rather vague "English Lakes" but of course I have narrowed it down to Kendal in Cumbria as I have relaxed into such good company on the Forum!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2021, 06:15:35 AM »
But certainly, when Chi started I wouldn't have expected it to be still going strong 15 years later, and with hundreds of people playing every day.

Alan, we're all delighted that it is still going strong :)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2021, 01:32:23 PM »
" I can’t help wondering if you were presenting a list of people registered to play chihuahua, why you would want to exclude forum members. "

You have provided the answer to that, all i had to do was go through the member list & find members that have never posted then check their profile to see if they provided their location.
Having said all that, i do agree with your suggestion that anybody who has been omitted from your chart but wishes to be included should simply let you know & provide you with the relevant information.

There could also be another issue - I play chi under the name jk1956 and not as ridethetalk (my forum name) - others may be in the same boat (masked, of course!)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2021, 02:41:29 PM »
Hi John,

There are many other factors that make the chart useless for any other purpose than idle curiosity.  However, I have had some fun exploring the limits of the computer program I was using.  In doing so I added about another 50 names to the chart.  Only one was from a country that wasn't in the previous list - China. One of the things I did was to split the data into smaller units to make the output more readable and I will put these here for the idly curious.

I don't intend to look for more names but if anyone wants to do so, they can provide me with a list and I will update the charts.

Australasian Players

British Isles and North American players

The Remainder
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »
G'day Jack,
Your charts are extraordinary in their detail & extremely well done.
Thank you for your ongoing efforts as i for one, find it enthralling to be able to see at a glance, just how widespread this game is.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2021, 12:27:55 AM »
Hi John,

There are many other factors that make the chart useless for any other purpose than idle curiosity.  However, I have had some fun exploring the limits of the computer program I was using.  In doing so I added about another 50 names to the chart.  Only one was from a country that wasn't in the previous list - China. One of the things I did was to split the data into smaller units to make the output more readable and I will put these here for the idly curious.

I don't intend to look for more names but if anyone wants to do so, they can provide me with a list and I will update the charts.

Australasian Players

British Isles and North American players

The Remainder

Ozzy, I've just had a look at the Australasian Players and couldn't find myself in either identity...  ???
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »
Hi John,

I just had a look and you are there as jk1956 between jackieinupway and Julie Y. You are not there as ridethewalk because it is a chart of chi players not forumites.  Forumites who play under the same name as their forumite name are, of course, supposed to be included.

The chart is not a complete list but just those that I found playing over several days.  If people want a more complete list, they will have to do the searching and advise me.
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2021, 09:32:35 PM »

I just had a look and you are there as jk1956 between jackieinupway and Julie Y. You are not there as ridethewalk because it is a chart of chi players not forumites.  Forumites who play under the same name as their forumite name are, of course, supposed to be included.

I sit corrected - how I missed seeing me I'm not sure. :o

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2021, 09:26:33 AM »
Not a biggie, but the state I live in is spelt Illinois — and the expression 'there is no noise in Illinois' is for those pronouncing the final letter (it is silent).

Tangential diversion moment ... you just reminded me of this album by Sufjan Stevens :)

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...