Author Topic: Location of Active Forumites  (Read 3282 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Active Forumites
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 05:31:41 PM »
Thanks, John, Fixed

Added bobbi, rhino, greenone and katzmeow.

Added a splash of red

Click here for the latest edition
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:40:18 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 05:41:39 AM »
Hi Jack,

That’s fab - lovely to get the global view.

I’ve moved out of London now (but haven’t updated my profile 😳) to Hertfordshire / Berkhamsted - not far from Bletchley!

Also, a missing e ... I’m spelt like the cakes 😋

Thanks for doing this, it’s a great idea.

All the best to you Ozzies.

Madeleine

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 06:49:32 AM »
Hi Madeleine
If I catch the train into Euston (only once in the last year) I pass through Berkhamstead. A lovely spot :)  I used to have a friend who lived there before she emigrated.  First to Singapore & then on to New Zealand. 
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »
Hi Madeleine,

Click here for the latest edition

Thanks for the info.  These things are only useful if they are accurate.

I had not heard of the cakes before but, ever curious, I did a bit of research and offer this trivia.
The madeleine or petite madeleine is a traditional small cake from Commercy and Liverdun, two communes of the Lorraine region in northeastern France. Madeleines are very small sponge cakes with a distinctive shell-like shape acquired from being baked in pans with shell-shaped depressions.

The story goes that, in 1755, Louis XV, son-in-law of the duke, charmed by the little cakes prepared by Madeleine Paulmier, named them after her, while his wife, Maria Leszczyńska, introduced them soon afterward to the court in Versailles. Much beloved by the royal family, they conquered the rest of France in no time.
Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »
Not a biggie, but the state I live in is spelt Illinois — and the expression 'there is no noise in Illinois' is for those pronouncing the final letter (it is silent).

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2021, 12:04:26 PM »
Hi TRex,

My spell checker picked that up and I missed it.  Now fixed, including in the PDF file referenced in the previous post. 
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 01:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Les
1. I have no clue how to determine if a registered player is also registered for the forum so creating a list of non forum members only...
2. Ticklemonster is not included in your chart so i must assume that is because he is a non forum member.
Surely, it must have tweaked your interest just a little, when you learnt that he was auntiemo's better other half & your close neighbour?

Hi Les,

1.   There is a row of buttons
    Home    Help    Search    Profile    My Messages    Calendar    Members    Logout
near the top of the page when you are in the forum.  If you press the Members buttons you get the choice of seeing a list of all the members(whether active or not) or searching for an individual member.  But, ....   I can’t help wondering if you were presenting a list of people registered to play chihuahua, why you would want to exclude forum members. 

2.   Ticklemonster is not a forum member but with the knowledge that you and I have, we could probably work out where he resides. :D

I must admit that as an exercise in reminding myself how to best use mind mapping software, I am slightly tempted to develop a chart.  In terms of the product being useful, I have significant doubts. I have not tested the assumption, but I believe only a small percentage of the players give their location and there is no guarantee that those that have, keep it up-to-date when they move.

Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2021, 07:31:00 PM »
" I can’t help wondering if you were presenting a list of people registered to play chihuahua, why you would want to exclude forum members. "

G'day Jack, we seem to have got our wires a little bit crossed.
Your chart only lists forum members, my original suggestion was to also include the locations of non forum members.
As you have already produced a chart showing the locations of forum members i offered to provide a list of locations for non forum members but then declined to do so because i suddenly realised that i did not know how to identify the difference.
You have provided the answer to that, all i had to do was go through the member list & find members that have never posted then check their profile to see if they provided their location.
Having said all that, i do agree with your suggestion that anybody who has been omitted from your chart but wishes to be included should simply let you know & provide you with the relevant information.
I realise now that it was arrogant of me to assume that it was ok for me to add non forum members locations to your chart without their permission.
But then that leads me to this question ; if auntiemo were to ask you to include ticklemonster in the Cleveland group, would you consider it?
For that matter have you considered adding ossiejune to the Cleveland group?
Newer forumites would have no idea where these players come from let alone their relationships with other members in the Cleveland group.
So all i am saying here is that if a forum member has a relative or friend who lets say lives in Antarctica, plays the game but is not a forum member, would you add that person to your chart at the request of the forum member?
I reckon that the chart that you have produced is absolutely brilliant, the intent of my suggestion was only to expand it to truly reflect just how many countries this game is actually played  in whether it by forum members or non forum members.
As for the accuracy of information, you can only go by whatever is currently recorded, after all it would have been accurate at the time & you would not only be documenting where the game is currently played but also where it has been played in the past.

Cheers Les

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 10:35:19 PM »
Hey....Ticklemonster is NOT interested in the Forum...he's not up for inclusion! We don't automatically get included in each other's interests. Yes if it's Chihuahua players....no to Forum members.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 11:32:21 PM »
Hi Madeleine
If I catch the train into Euston (only once in the last year) I pass through Berkhamstead. A lovely spot :)  I used to have a friend who lived there before she emigrated.  First to Singapore & then on to New Zealand. 
Pen

It is a nice town, Pen, and a lovely place to live. Market, canal, beautiful cinema, castle ruins and lots of restaurants. We even have a totem pole! And close enough to pop into London for the things I enjoy there - not that there’s been much of that lately! I can’t quite imagine going to go theatre or a concert any more 😢

Madeleine

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2021, 06:37:13 AM »
I know what you mean Madeleine.  My daughter has had 2 rock concerts at Wembley postponed until next year & also her & her other half were meant to see Andre Rieu last year.  That's been postponed twice now until next year.  Three work friends & I have tickets to watch England playing India at Trent Bridge in August.  It's a great day out & I'm hoping it'll go ahead.  Having said that after England's spectacular defeat in their most recent Test Match in India perhaps I should beware of what I wish for >:D
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2021, 01:48:55 PM »
Your chart only lists forum members,
2. the intent of my suggestion was only to expand it to truly reflect just how many countries this game is actually played in whether it by forum members or non forum members.

Hi Les,

1. My chart only listed active forum members.  I didn't define an active forum member but my selection process was roughly anyone who had logged on to the forum in the last 12 months.

2. You wanted to get a chart of all those people who play chi and what their location was if we could do that.  My point was that was a separate exercise and should include forumites.  I thought it wasn't a bad idea if you could get someone silly enough to do the work.

Just for the fun of it, I took a sample of those people who played chihuahua in the last several days and who had volunteered information about themselves and put it into a chart.  I think you might be interested.

Location of a sample of people who play Chihuahua
Regards, Jack

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »
Utterly mind boggling! In so many ways.

A truly benign social medium and then some

A toast to Alan, Jack and the rest of us!.

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2021, 05:20:29 PM »
Pleased to see my name included in the latest version, even though I haven’t posted on the forum for ages. Thanks. I’ve always thought it would be interesting to see where the players come from. Alan, did you ever think when you started Chi that it would spread around the globe?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack