Author Topic: photoshop - a possible Chi word?  (Read 837 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
photoshop - a possible Chi word?
« on: February 21, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
I wonder if the word 'photoshop' meaning 'to doctor an image' might not be acceptable in Chi?

This is from 'Wikipedia'. Notice the absence of capital letters:

'The terms "photoshop", "photoshopped" and "photoshopping", derived from Adobe Photoshop, are ubiquitous and widely used colloquially and academically when referencing image editing software as it relates to digital manipulation and alteration of photographs.The term commonly refers to digital editing of photographs regardless of which software program is used.
Trademark owner Adobe Inc. objected to what it referred to as misuse of their trademarked software, and considered it an infringement on their trademark to use terms such as "photoshopped" or "photoshopping" as a noun or verb, in possessive form or as a slang term. However, Adobe's attempts to prevent "genericization" or "genericide" of the company's trademark failed. Separately, the Free Software Foundation advises against using "photoshop" as a verb because Adobe Photoshop is proprietary software.

In popular culture, the term photoshopping is sometimes associated with montages in the form of visual jokes, such as those published on Fark and in Mad magazine.'

Might this not be similar to 'google', originally a protected trademark but now a word in everyday use in the public domain. Closer to home, in a recent post where I admired the aphorisms on some t-shirts in a picture Ozzyjack had posted, he replied, 'I am not sure if they were photographed or photoshopped'

The reason I ask is that photoshop could have been played in yesterday's posthumous 7=by many.

Any thoughts?

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: photoshop - a possible Chi word?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 05:09:37 PM »
Very much into Photoshop, Mike.  Definitely a common term in this household.  Works magic on the wrinkles!
Val x
I'll sleep in my next life

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »

Closer to home, in a recent post where I admired the aphorisms on some t-shirts in a picture Ozzyjack had posted, he replied, 'I am not sure if they were photographed or photoshopped'.

Reading this I was reminded of the old saying 'the camera never lies'. Still true, essentially, it doesn't, but oh how the end result can do! These days you can never be sure if the image you see is what the camera captured. Photoshop and other editing programmes are amazing bits of software but so often overused. I'm in several wildlife photography groups on Facebook and I've seen so many good photos ruined by heavy-handed Photoshop editing, usually to enhance the colours, turning the subject into something that doesn't exist in nature. Although I guess it's useful in removing drunken uncle Bob from the wedding photos!

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 09:28:43 PM »
Totally agree, Pat.  Some of the overworked end products of photography are just awful.  Haven't quite worked out how to remove drunken uncle Bob yet.  That would be a huge plus.
I'll sleep in my next life

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 09:58:55 PM »
Haven't quite worked out how to remove drunken uncle Bob yet.  That would be a huge plus.

;D ;D ;D

I couldn't tell you offhand how to do it but it's actually quite straightforward. There are loads of instructional Photoshop videos on Youtube. Not that I'm suggesting you need to remove a drunken uncle Bob!

The ability to remove unwanted objects is actually quite useful. I must confess to having removed something like a stray branch that took the eye off the main subject. This is a photo of a crowned woodnymph that I took in Colombia. The original shot had a nectar feeder in it - that's what the bird was flying towards - and it spoilt the photo. Removing a whole nectar feeder was either above my capabilities or above the capabilities of Photoshop Elements, which I use, but it certainly improved the pic to have it taken out. A friend removed it for me using different software.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:00:32 PM by pat »

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 02:45:22 AM »
A friend removed it for me using different software.

I'm curious, which software was used?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 03:46:36 AM »
I think it was inPixio, TRex.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 04:52:42 PM »
Merriam-Webster was the only dictionary I saw listing photoshop without a capital P, but labeled "often capitalized". But many other dictionaries list it capitalized while noting the all-lower-case form as a variant. The online Oxford, bizarrely, lists the word capitalized but gives the inflections as photoshops, photoshopped and photoshopping, without capitals.

The Online Etymology Dictionary says:

"to edit an image using a computer program," 1992, originally, and properly still, only in reference to Photoshop, a bitmap graphics editor trademarked and published by Adobe, released in 1990. Like Taser and Dumpster, it has a tendency to become generic, but if you use it that way in print their lawyers will still send you The Letter.

Although the software has been around since 1990, I couldn't see any sign of the word being used as a verb before this century. By now it's become quite common, sometimes with and sometimes without the capital P. A recent example is an article in Hollywood Life on 27 February headed "Kendall Jenner Accused Of Photoshop In Latest Bikini Mirror Clip — Watch":

Kendall Jenner‘s latest bikini video is causing criticism from some online followers after one page claimed she photoshopped her waist.

I'll add photoshop, photoshopped and photoshopping, though I doubt either of the latter two will ever come up in a puzzle. Is the word widely known enough to be classed as a common word? I'm not sure, but given many players will think it has to be written with a capital initial letter, I'm making it rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 02:25:55 PM »
For what it's worth, Alan, I frequently see all the variations of (uncapitalized) photoshop, photoshopping, etc. - in fact, I just accidentally typed "photochopping" and was promptly corrected with "photoshopping,"  I may see it so often because like Pat, I look at a lot of nature photos. 

In last year's heated political climate, there were many claims of photoshopped images. Not at all a rare word here.

I suspect that Photoshop is going to have just as much difficulty as Kleenex did in keeping itself from becoming a common word.