Author Topic: The mysterious benefit of taking another look a few hours later  (Read 2274 times)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
The mysterious benefit of taking another look a few hours later
« on: February 14, 2021, 06:46:01 PM »
I know Mike has alluded to this more than once before, but the truth of it never fails to surprise me.

That is, when you are completely stumped for the last word or two in a puzzle, just go away, and come back to it some hours later.

In today's 7-by-many I was totally unable to find the last word that eluded me for a rosette. But when I returned about three hours later, it simply jumped out at me after about five seconds. The brain is a mysterious organ.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious benefit of taking another look a few hours later
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »
This happens to me a lot. It's pretty well known that to keep a clear head and do your best whilst studying/concentrating etc it's good to take a break and exercise/do something different etc.
And it's often the simplest of words - today it was ***** for me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:28:48 PM by Alan W »
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 07:30:32 PM »
Jacki, since that puzzle is still open, I've edited your post to mask the word you mentioned.

(As it happens that was the last word I found too.)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 07:33:33 PM »
The brain is indeed a mysterious organ. On quite a few occasions when I haven't managed to spot the big word it's suddenly popped into my head when I've been doing something else and not even thinking about Chi, and it's quite common for smaller words to occur to me like that.

My weirdest 'mysterious brain' experience happened many years ago. A friend gave me one of those lateral problems: a man stops his car outside a hotel and immediately knows he's a bankrupt - what's the scenario? I was allowed to ask yes/no questions but by the end of the day I was none the wiser so I said I'd think about it overnight and he could give me the answer in the morning if I didn't have it. That night I dreamt the answer - he was playing Monopoly. I remember waking up and actually saying those words, then laughing at the ridiculousness of my answer, then realizing I was right.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 08:48:35 PM »
Omg - so very sorry. Thank you Alan. It's so funny cause I actually thought about it and for some reason I thought the game was finished!

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 09:25:26 PM »
Stopped outside of your hotel Pat, i would definitely not be thinking about monopoly.
Seriously though, the brain is indeed a mysterious organ.
Damage it at your own risk.
Having endured a couple of strokes in recent years, i know that my personality, my demeanor, my attitudes, my tolerances & my once vibrant zest for life have all changed considerably but not permanently or consistently so it does make it very difficult at times to know just exactly where i am at on any given day.
I do know that i am definitely not the same person that i was 2 years ago.
It is difficult to explain but i now find my brain occasionally going off on tangents that i have never before explored but at the same time i find it hard sometimes to grasp or even remember the things that are the most familiar to me.
Some days, those familiar things are as clear as a bell so it's like a bit of a roller coaster effect & i am just doing my best to make it comfortable & enjoy the ride.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 09:43:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about your strokes, Les. Having had friends who've suffered them I know how varied the after-effects can be. Having your brain going off at new tangents seems an interesting phenomenon though.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »
As i said Pat, it is very difficult to explain, especially in an email.

" i now find my brain occasionally going off on tangents that i have never before explored "

Before covid i became for a brief period, a regular at a fine dining establishment in the city called Gambaro's Seafood Restaurant.

The wearing of a suit was not mandatory but of course smart casual attire most certainly was.
I was always allocated the same single table that was located in the far corner of the venue next to the window which allowed me an expansive view of the city lights.
As i tucked into my lobster mornay, took in the view & listened to the wonderful classical music being played in the background, i was quite content.

So far removed though from my pre - stroke habits which involved rocking up at the local at 2pm wearing shorts, singlet & thongs with a polo shirt stuffed in my pocket ( singlets were not allowed after 6pm ) just in case i wanted to stay for the evening meal which would either be steak & chips or roast of the day & of course Jimmy Barnes would be blaring in the background.
The flirtation with the fine dining only lasted a few weeks, primarily due to the exorbitant credit card bills but i have retained from that experience a new found appreciation & love for classical music.

Pat, i do hope that you can make some sense out of my nonsense.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 08:01:17 PM »
A new found love and appreciation for classical music - definitely a silver lining of the dark cloud of your strokes. Long may you continue to enjoy it.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »
My husband's parents would take their seven kids to Gambaro's back in the day! Can you imagine that credit card bill? And they were allowed to order whatever they wanted.
I have yet to dine there but my husband really wants us to - we live in Canberra so it's a bit of a trip.
Les have you tried Omeros Bros at Marina Mirage on the Spit? We've always had fantastic seafood there.
May I add that eating lobster at Gambaro's definitely does not sound Looney, Les!!
Maybe Genius Les would be a better name!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:18:01 PM by Jacki »

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 10:34:23 PM »
Yes, happens to me at times. But the time I remember most was trying to figure out   petals around the rose.   I worked on it for too long and gave up. Walked out into the backyard and it just came to me.

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 03:58:38 AM »
Its your sub conscious that is doing the work. Your forebrain delegates problems (like most managers ) and when handed a solution takes the credit ( like most managers ).The best way to solve a problem is not to think about it...thats why we sleep on it.
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 03:00:45 PM »
" Les have you tried Omeros Bros at Marina Mirage on the Spit? We've always had fantastic seafood there. "

No mate, never eaten there but thanks for the tip.
I've just googled it & it looks absolutely lovely with plenty of great reviews so it is definitely going on my bucket list.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 08:57:15 PM »
Their bugs are amazing - they air char grill them and the flavour is fantastic and I ask for a sweet chilli plum sauce which they make up for me on request. Service is always first class. And the crepes are a fantastic way to finish with a liquer or port.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 10:14:29 AM »
sweet chilli plum sauce....yummy