Author Topic: dunning  (Read 1078 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
dunning
« on: January 29, 2021, 03:02:48 PM »
From the just completed 7 by many game ;
dunning was the last word that i found & that was only due to a bit of perseverance, a fluky guess & a lot of luck. (Otherwise it was yet another rosette frustratingly missed! ).
I suspect that Alan will tell me that even though it is not listed in my dictionary, this 17th century word is commonly used in America, England, Woop Woop or somewhere & may decline my suggestion to reclassify it.
None the less i would be interested to here from those players (48%) who found the word ; did you honestly have any idea of it's meaning & if so, how have you come across it?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: dunning
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 03:21:24 PM »
It's a word I've always known it seems, although I've always known it to be old-fashioned and 'legal'.
It's common enough in reading, especially older novels or novels set in Victorian times..

I suspect, at least in UK, it's been replaced by the  word 'bailiffs' or by slang terms such as 'heavies'
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:53:42 PM by mkenuk »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 08:31:02 PM »
Thanks Mike.
My favourite subjects at school were Maths, English & lunch break.
In English classes i was introduced to a range of classic books which in the most part i thoroughly enjoyed.
Once i left school & got a job, there was little time or inclination for reading books as other activities which always involved girls, parties & drinking took precedence.
It was only in the early eighties when i found books again & that was primarily due to my career which involved working a lot of overnight shifts.
The overnight shift ( the dog watch ) was from 10pm to 6am & because i was a junior i would cop weeks of them in succession.
In those days the night shift was usually pretty quiet between midnight & 4am but you still had to be alert for anything unexpected so the biggest challenge was how to stay awake & alert during these quiet hours.
My solution was to bring into work with me a magazine called " The Post "
It is true that the cover featured a beautiful model in a bikini with more pictures of her promised in the centerfold & i know that Ozzyjack & Hobbit will not believe this but the main reason that i bought this particular magazine was because on their last page was a full size " mega " crossword.
The magazine only came out once a week so my initial target was to complete this massive crossword before the next edition came out.
It took many months of trying but i was eventually able to achieve this feat.
Before too long i was able to complete the crossword within a couple of nights which created a new problem, how am i now going to keep myself awake & alert for the rest of my shifts?
So i would bring in a book to read.
It was usually something comedic, a crime novel, an intriguing mystery or science fiction but definitely never anything from the Victorian era which surely would have put me to sleep.

I do appreciate just how well read mkenuk & many others on the forum are.
Mike points out that dunning was replaced years ago with bailiffs & heavies.
Having had my share of encounters with both, i am definitely familiar with those terms but i maintain that to continue to class dunning as common is not realistic for the majority of players.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:38:15 PM by les303 »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 04:13:50 AM »
My solution was to bring into work with me a magazine called " The Post "
It is true that the cover featured a beautiful model in a bikini with more pictures of her promised in the centerfold & i know that Ozzyjack & Hobbit will not believe this but the main reason that i bought this particular magazine was because on their last page was a full size " mega " crossword.

Pull the other one Les - don't believe a word of it >:D  :laugh: :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 07:11:34 AM »
Not at all an unusual word to me.  Not that I would ever have received one (oh, certainly not!), but I'm very familiar with the concept of dunning letters from either collection agencies or even libraries trying to get borrowed books back.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 12:23:05 PM »
Heard of dunny.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 01:04:49 PM »
Nice one , Jacki

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 03:05:40 PM »
Heard of dunny.

Just where the nasty business of dunning belongs.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 04:51:19 PM »
Les, there might well be a good case for reclassifying dunning, but I'd be surprised if your dictionary doesn't have an entry for dun, meaning something like "to make repeated demands for payment of a debt".
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 07:00:18 PM »
As usual Alan, you are quite correct as there is indeed a listing for dun in my dictionary, i was remiss in not noticing it, sorry for wasting your time.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 05:39:39 AM »
Only place I've seen this word is in the psychological condition known as the Dunning-Kruger effect ...
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 03:10:59 PM »
As Mike says, the word was used in older literature. For example, The Book of Snobs (1848), by Thackeray: "The wag of the party, with bitterness in his heart, having just quitted his laundress, who is dunning him for her bill, is firing off good stories..."

The Online Etymology Dictionary offers several possibilities for the word's origin.

Dun, in this sense, seems to be used less frequently nowadays, and mainly in the US. Dunning and dunned will be classed as rare from now on.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 05:40:52 PM »
Thanks Alan, dunning appeared again in the 7 by many game from two days ago, it was one of the first words that i played.
I find it interesting that when i first suggested this word, it was found by 48% of players in the 29th of January game however, despite this thread, it was only found by 42% in the 12th of February game.