Author Topic: Tinnies?  (Read 16883 times)

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
Tinnies?
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »
I can imagine this one raising the eyebrows of non-Australians, but "tinnies" has wide currency here, as a quick search of the Internet will reveal.  What do you reckon, Alan?
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Tinnies?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 05:40:35 PM »
We down a few tinnies here as well Dave...
Especially Castlemain 4X...whilst having a barbie...
Weather permitting of course...

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:42:05 PM »
yeah - i like a cold tinnie on a hot day - actually we've just had our coldest day for 9 years, but with all the global warming i am assuming that we will have hot days soon...
Viz

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
good to see some international support -- thanks, T.!

Actually, Viz, I hadn't thought about the spelling of the singular except a vague notion that it was probably "tinny."  One of the many pleasures of having a major spinal injury is that it's not smart to drink (clashes with standard medication), and I can barely remember what a bloody beer tastes like -- hence the vagueness!

Cheers,

Dave

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »
I feel for you Dave, i really do...
It must be awful to not be able to have what is seemingly a simple pleasure...

Do you sniff them then???
I imagine it would be like a dieter sniffing a bar of chocolate..
Or an ex-smoker sniffing someone else's smoke...

Tell me to bog off if you want...[i wouldn't mind at all..] but do you never think..'Oh F**K it, i'm having one anyway...just because i feel like getting pissed tonight...???

The trouble with me is...the more i am told 'No' , the more i want to say 'Yes'..
[But then i never have grown up...]
 :angel:

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 06:32:27 PM »
bugger! as if it's not tough enough having major medical probs - and you can' t even have a tinnie -  that's just not fair!

By the way, i hope you sued the pants off whoever was responsible - (i shouldn't say that as i manage a health centre, but we don't do surgery, but even so, it is a recurring nightmare - once one of our dentists was doing a standard extraction and about three teeth came out - that was scary enough, but the client was most understanding - (apparently its is not unheard of) and we did grovel and offer to pay for bridges etc)

Anyway, i have noticed that as i get older (i think we're roughly the same age) having a drink is not nearly as necessary as it used to be in my 20s. (I'm sure that is no consolation whatsoever)
Viz

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »
To be honest, T., I wasn't exactly a major league drinker by the time the roof fell in on me, so I guess it could be a much greater hardship.  But yes, I do occasionally lust for a decent cold beer.  The bloody TV commercials for beer are so good these days that I have a quiet sob into my diet cordial from time to time...

I did try legal action, Viz, because there was a major cock-up (more on the part of the hospital than of the surgeon): it dragged on for 10 years, and the outcome was a minuscule out of court settlement that did little more than pay for the confounded barrister (who was a total nitwit when it came to the crunch, anyway).  The medical profession almost invariably closes ranks in medical negligence cases, and that is what buggered me.  As luck would have it, though, I was able to claim workers compensation -- otherwise I would be in deep you know what.

Cheers,

Dave

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »
... But nowhere in this "insiders" conversation (meaning Aussie/UK's in common) does it actually explain to us "outsiders" what tinnies are, since you already know ....

please don't tease ... !!! WHAT ARE THEY??

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:37:51 PM »
Once again i sympathise...
In my case it took 2 years just to get as far as an internal hearing...and then it never went any further. All i wanted was an apology and an admission that they have stuffed up [which resulted in the death of my baby, and me nearly dying twice in a week]. Neither were forthcoming. The whole system here is a farce. It doesn't sound much better there.
And you are so right about the closing ranks thing..they can tell bare faced lies, but as they back each other up you don't stand a chance.
I did catch mine out though with absolute proof that they had 'doctored' some paperwork. I wish i had persued it more now....

Q - What is the only difference between Lawyers and Doctors?
A - Doctors can bury their mistakes.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 07:38:54 PM »
Threeb....
seriously???
They are tins of beer...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »
I know what tinnies are, threebee, but I'm not going to tell you unless you promise not to post any more smilies!  Deal?  >:D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 07:40:23 PM »
OOPS sorry Linda..
I spoiled your plan...and it was a frigging good one and all...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 07:42:36 PM »
Big gob!  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 07:43:03 PM »
Too late ... sorry, Linda, but T let the hag out of the bag!!!  >:D

and yes, T- we don't use that term at all ... coud've been tin cans of sardines for all I knew! unless it's all over the college campuses but since I'm not into keggers any more I've completely missed the boat! Sometimes I wish had missed the boat and was still on that tropical island.!!!!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 07:43:50 PM »
Yes, we heard you the first time!  >:D