Author Topic: Newssheet/hotshoe  (Read 1051 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Newssheet/hotshoe
« on: January 14, 2021, 08:38:28 PM »
Two words rejected by the whetstone puzzle. Both are often written hyphenated but I think they're written often enough as single words, especially newssheet, to warrant inclusion as rare words.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Newssheet/hotshoe
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:14:44 PM »
I too was quite surprised that newssheet was rare, but I'n not sure about hotshoe.

Wasn't a 'hot shoe' the place on a camera which held the flash bulb?
Do many people (other than professional photographers and wildlife enthusiasts, perhaps) still use cameras?

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 05:08:06 PM »

Do many people (other than professional photographers and wildlife enthusiasts, perhaps) still use cameras?

Yes indeed, MK.  Always have, always will.  I don't own a smart 'phone (horrors!).  My partner is an amateur wildlife/landscape photographer. 
I'll sleep in my next life

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 05:12:52 PM »
Me too, Valerie, though I do use the cellphone to record things like trucks parking on our newly done sidewalks or people photos (I'm awful at them, which is why I don't bother using a real camera).  So I know the word hotshoe.

I've seen newssheet too, but not that often.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 02:55:58 PM »
Newssheet, written that way, is listed in the online Merriam-Webster and Wiktionary. The other online dictionaries tend to hyphenate it.

In terms of actual usage, the News on the Web corpus has more examples of news-sheet than newssheet, and even more of the two-word form news sheet.

M-W defines it as simply another word for newspaper or newsletter, which seems too broad. The Collins online dictionary is more specific in defining its (hyphenated) version:

A news-sheet is a small newspaper that is usually printed and distributed in small quantities by a local political or social organization.

A usage example is from a 2019 Irish Times article about Maud Gonne, the "Irish Joan of Arc":

Gonne also established the Women’s Prisoners’ Defence League, publishing a monthly newssheet under the pseudonym "a woman of no importance"...

Newssheet will be accepted as a rare word.

I'll respond to hotshoe another time.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 07:29:13 PM »
Thanks, Alan.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 03:43:54 PM »
Dictionaries normally render hot shoe as two words. Wiktionary is the only one I noticed giving hotshoe as an alternative form. Still, photography books and magazines often write it in the single word form. For example, The Digital Photography Companion, by Derrick Story:

The hotshoe provides a connection for an external flash and other camera accessories.

And in the Digital Photography Review in September last year:

It has a new and novel directional microphone next to the flash hotshoe and there's a fully articulating touchscreen display.

Another definition of hot shoe offered by the OED is a slang term for "a (skilled) racing-car driver". This sense appears occasionally in relevant publications. For example an August 2015 story on the Canadian website Driving:

This is one of two four-wheel-drive versions campaigned by the maverick Baja racer, team owner, and genuine hotshoe James Garner.

I'll add hotshoe as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 07:44:25 PM »
Thanks again, Alan.